ED Myth

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mleibman

ED Myth

Postby mleibman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:12 pm

I have long questioned whether the LSAT for October would be accepted for early decision. I, like many others, thought that it would not be accepted. Today, I spoke with UCLA, a school I plan to apply to early decision. They said October LSATs are accepted. October LSAT grades are reported by November 1st. So long as you have your score, you can apply. Call your prospective school first. I was pleasantly surprised. If anyone has experienced similar results, let me know. I am curious to see how many other people thought wrong like I did.

Re: ED Myth

Postby 09042014 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:14 pm

The claims of my ED are greatly exaggerated. That was the first time.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:15 pm

mleibman wrote:I have long questioned whether the LSAT for October would be accepted for early decision. I, like many others, thought that it would not be accepted. Today, I spoke with UCLA, a school I plan to apply to early decision. They said October LSATs are accepted. October LSAT grades are reported by November 1st. So long as you have your score, you can apply. Call your prospective school first. I was pleasantly surprised. If anyone has experienced similar results, let me know. I am curious to see how many other people thought wrong like I did.

Why is this news? A look at the LSAC reporting dates, and ED application dates should have made this readily apparent.

HeelsforHoos

Postby HeelsforHoos » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:15 pm

I took the September 2009 LSAT and successfully applied early decision. It sounds like the schedule was a little earlier last year, but it can be done.

mleibman

Postby mleibman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:17 pm

Not so, many law schools wrote that they only accepted June LSATs. For example, UCLA wrote that you must take the LSAT before September. It is sometimes misleading and/or not comprehensible. So it has led many people to wrongfully believe that an October LSAT was not satisfactory.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:35 pm

mleibman wrote:Not so, many law schools wrote that they only accepted June LSATs. For example, UCLA wrote that you must take the LSAT before September. It is sometimes misleading and/or not comprehensible. So it has led many people to wrongfully believe that an October LSAT was not satisfactory.

I ED'ed to UCLA and I don't remember seeing anything about not accepting the Oct LSAT. That's the one I submitted. I even sent in my application a day late and they still put me in the ED pool. Then they waitlisted me :(

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:42 pm

aznflyingpanda wrote:I ED'ed to UCLA and I don't remember seeing anything about not accepting the Oct LSAT. That's the one I submitted. I even sent in my application a day late and they still put me in the ED pool. Then they waitlisted me :(

This makes me all :?: since I know how your cycle went. Don't be so :cry: about it, you ought to be all :D that they WL'd you so you could go to UVA instead. :wink:

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:44 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:I ED'ed to UCLA and I don't remember seeing anything about not accepting the Oct LSAT. That's the one I submitted. I even sent in my application a day late and they still put me in the ED pool. Then they waitlisted me :(

This makes me all :?: since I know how your cycle went. Don't be so :cry: about it, you ought to be all :D that they WL'd you so you could go to UVA instead. :wink:

There's a place across from UCLA that sells 3 freshly baked cookies for $1. I will miss that place

Mr. Pablo

Postby Mr. Pablo » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:35 pm

I bet they make cookies in Charlottesville.

pugalicious

Postby pugalicious » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:37 pm

aznflyingpanda wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

There's a place across from UCLA that sells 3 freshly baked cookies for $1. I will miss that place

Gotta get the 2 cookie-ice cream sandwich from Diddy's. THAT's the real deal. Mmmmmm strawberry cheesecake ice cream between two white chocolate macadamia nut cookies...

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:48 pm

pugalicious wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

Gotta get the 2 cookie-ice cream sandwich from Diddy's. THAT's the real deal. Mmmmmm strawberry cheesecake ice cream between two white chocolate macadamia nut cookies...

They increased the price, so it's not as good a deal now. I think it's like 1.50 now for the ice cream sandwich. :(

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:51 pm

mleibman wrote:I have long questioned whether the LSAT for October would be accepted for early decision. I, like many others, thought that it would not be accepted. Today, I spoke with UCLA, a school I plan to apply to early decision. They said October LSATs are accepted. October LSAT grades are reported by November 1st. So long as you have your score, you can apply. Call your prospective school first. I was pleasantly surprised. If anyone has experienced similar results, let me know. I am curious to see how many other people thought wrong like I did.

I already knew this, and thought others did too. A few schools prefer the June LSAT, but...the minute schools began taking the highest LSAT, the schools became LSAT whores. That means taking the highest LSAT however you have to get it. If your app is still in play at UVA or GWU during December, they will take your December LSAT...assuming it's a good score.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:09 pm

For reference:

--ImageRemoved--

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:12 pm

Is it more or less myth-like than the Stripper Myth?

See Rock, Chris.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:38 pm

mleibman wrote:Not so, many law schools wrote that they only accepted June LSATs. For example, UCLA wrote that you must take the LSAT before September. It is sometimes misleading and/or not comprehensible. So it has led many people to wrongfully believe that an October LSAT was not satisfactory.

The September LSAT is given in October in some years, so September/October is really interchangeable and refers to the same test. By the time the 2011 application is available, the web site should say that you must take the LSAT before October, because that's when it's offered this year.

December scores are obviously not accepted because ED decisions are due before they're even available. Anything before that will work.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”