Anticipated low LSAT+3.86 GPA, any strategy for application?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Anticipated low LSAT+3.86 GPA, any strategy for application?

Postby 2807 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:47 pm

Well, I am disappointed to say that my LSAT study/progress is not turning out so well. I may push my June test to the October now. With that said, does anyone ever turn in applications, LOR, PS and whatever else ...without the LSAT score? My package is going to be very good, but my LSAT is not. Do admissions ever respond and consider someone based on the good stuff... and then take a softer, kindler, and more gentle approach to the eventual horrific LSAT? ( I am struggling to get NEAR 160, I predict a 155-157 on my best day)

Can I show them what a good choice I am based on everything other than the LSAT? Or do they not even look until the package is complete? And with my low score... will they even look at all?

No? Bummer.

I hate the LSAT.

If LSAT ---> Hate

Thanks.

Mrs. Jack Donaghy

Re: Anticipated low LSAT+3.86 GPA, any strategy for application?

Postby Mrs. Jack Donaghy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:57 pm

Shoot for October and study properly. Don't take the June test just because you want to get the LSAT over with. Doing so would be doing yourself a disservice. Waiting and receiving a higher score will open tons of doors with your GPA.

Your application strategy should be to get the highest LSAT you possibly can.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:06 pm

Are you URM?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:06 pm

Mrs. Jack Donaghy wrote:Shoot for October and study properly. Don't take the June test just because you want to get the LSAT over with. Doing so would be doing yourself a disservice. Waiting and receiving a higher score will open tons of doors with your GPA.

This. This x 1,000,000.

Postby 2807 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:11 pm

Mrs. Jack Donaghy wrote:Shoot for October and study properly. Don't take the June test just because you want to get the LSAT over with. Doing so would be doing yourself a disservice. Waiting and receiving a higher score will open tons of doors with your GPA.

Thanks. You are correct. Very succinct, I like it.

I have been conditioned to think that I had to get it in early, but today seems to be the day that I have to concede .... I am not worthy.... I know my GPA and background can serve me well, and that is why I am so bummed with the progress on my testing. I graduated with a 3.95 and that is not because I am smart. It is because I worked and studied and tried very hard. I do the same with the LSAT and am not familiar with this failure. It is not as fun as it sounds.. Failure actually sucks. I don't know how so many of my friends handle it so well. I guess it is an acquired taste.

--Wait, Mrs. Jack Donaghy? HAHAHAH... funny. (which one did he choose?) And good luck against King James.... wooooo they just finished! I am out here in Laker-land... we will see one of you in the big show... and then I do not wish you luck--->I wish you tasty failure

edit: I am not URM. I am wonder bread.

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:12 pm

Apply early.

Postby 2807 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:21 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:Apply early.

WHAT?? --Well, that was my question actually. ....haha..

So, do people apply without the LSAT? Is there any strategy or upside? I thought that maybe it would get my application looked at (to determine if the GPA and PS were worthy)....as opposed to dumped immediately due to the sad LSAT.

Any value to that..or experience by anyone? Or is it all in my head?

thanks

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:29 pm

The answer here is obvious:

1) study your fucking balls off until october and hit 162 or higher
2) apply to UVA early decision
3) ???????????
4) profit

also, as per the "apply early conundrum," it's beneficial to apply as early as possible. That being said, if you were to gain EVEN JUST ONE LSAT POINT in waiting until November to apply (i.e., taking the october exam instead of june), the benefit outweighs the cost. Retake again in December if you anticipate gaining another point.

Seriously. Statistical insignificance no longer matters. Every point counts as far as USNWR is concerned.

edit: if the above strategy fails, try WUSTL.

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:32 pm

2807 wrote:Well, I am disappointed to say that my LSAT study/progress is not turning out so well. I may push my June test to the October now. With that said, does anyone ever turn in applications, LOR, PS and whatever else ...without the LSAT score? My package is going to be very good, but my LSAT is not. Do admissions ever respond and consider someone based on the good stuff... and then take a softer, kindler, and more gentle approach to the eventual horrific LSAT? ( I am struggling to get NEAR 160, I predict a 155-157 on my best day)

Can I show them what a good choice I am based on everything other than the LSAT? Or do they not even look until the package is complete? And with my low score... will they even look at all?

No? Bummer.

I hate the LSAT.

If LSAT ---> Hate

Thanks.

Some T2 schools do. Temple has a program for those with work experience but low LSATs. They won't look at your package until its complete.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:34 pm

tesoro wrote:The answer here is obvious:

1) study your fucking balls off until october and hit 162 or higher
2) apply to UVA early decision
3) ???????????
4) profit

also, as per the "apply early conundrum," it's beneficial to apply as early as possible. That being said, if you were to gain EVEN JUST ONE LSAT POINT in waiting until November to apply (i.e., taking the october exam instead of june), the benefit outweighs the cost. Retake again in December if you anticipate gaining another point.

Seriously. Statistical insignificance no longer matters. Every point counts as far as USNWR is concerned.

edit: if the above strategy fails, try WUSTL.

WUSTL is an LSAT whore. And I doubt a 162 will make UVA realistic, though I am not familiar with their record for high-GPA ED applicants.

Mrs. Jack Donaghy

Postby Mrs. Jack Donaghy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:46 pm

2807 wrote:
--Wait, Mrs. Jack Donaghy? HAHAHAH... funny. (which one did he choose?) And good luck against King James.... wooooo they just finished! I am out here in Laker-land... we will see one of you in the big show... and then I do not wish you luck--->I wish you tasty failure

He obviously chooses the one from Boston (well, he does in my imagination) :P. I love Lebron so I'm excited. This series is going to be interesting, but I'm confident that Boston will be fine. Haha, please, LA won't see us. We'll see you and preferably beat you at home once again. Get pumped for it.

To get back to your most recent question... Your application is not complete until you have an LSAT score. Also, applying in November is still relatively early. Applying in November with a high LSAT score > applying in September where you are currently testing.

Postby 2807 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:02 am

Mrs. Jack Donaghy wrote:
2807 wrote:

He obviously chooses the one from Boston (well, he does in my imagination) :P. I love Lebron so I'm excited. This series is going to be interesting, but I'm confident that Boston will be fine. Haha, please, LA won't see us. We'll see you and preferably beat you at home once again. Get pumped for it.

To get back to your most recent question... Your application is not complete until you have an LSAT score. Also, applying in November is still relatively early. Applying in November with a high LSAT score > applying in September where you are currently testing.

I received two B's in my upper division classes at my college. One was a ...ugh...a logic class... and the other was a goofy history class during the summer of..08.... guess what had my attention.... and got me a B! Watching the games on my computer in class !!!! DAMN!!!!

We want revenge out here. Celtics should beware. We do not play nicely with green people.

icydash

Postby icydash » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:08 am

Long story short: no don't apply without an LSAT -- tier 1 schools will laugh at you.

Some T2s may accept a package without an LSAT, but you could get into those schools with a 155-160, anyway, which is what you've been PTing.

Making progress on the LSAT is a very slow, time consuming process. You should be studying 2-3 hours a day, 7 days a week, for a few months before you can really bump your score. Also, try taking a class.

You'll really be doing yourself a disservice if you try to apply without an LSAT score. The answer here is to study hard, put off actually taking the test until you feel ready, and take it with confidence.

wadeny

Postby wadeny » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:22 am

Fully prepare for the LSAT and only take it when you feel absolutely ready. If you don't feel ready for June, then aim to take it in October. At the same time, don't burn yourself out studying and thinking about it so much for months on end. It sounds like some added confidence might help you more than studying obsessively. I mean, you have a very high GPA and if you prep effectively for 2-3 months, you should be able to do fairly well.

Also, feel free to take a look at my LSN profile, but I had fairly similar numbers to you last cycle and ended up on a lot of WLs. I ended up applying early, visiting, etc., but a high GPA cannot usually make up for a lower LSAT score. Believe me, you will be much better off getting those extra few points on the LSAT than wasting 7+ months for a WL to come through. Good luck.

Mrs. Jack Donaghy

Postby Mrs. Jack Donaghy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:27 am

2807 wrote:
Mrs. Jack Donaghy wrote:
2807 wrote:

I received two B's in my upper division classes at my college. One was a ...ugh...a logic class... and the other was a goofy history class during the summer of..08.... guess what had my attention.... and got me a B! Watching the games on my computer in class !!!! DAMN!!!!

We want revenge out here. Celtics should beware. We do not play nicely with green people.

Green > Purple & Yellowish Gold.

Postby 2807 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:40 am

wadeny wrote:Fully prepare for the LSAT and only take it when you feel absolutely ready. If you don't feel ready for June, then aim to take it in October. At the same time, don't burn yourself out studying and thinking about it so much for months on end. It sounds like some added confidence might help you more than studying obsessively. I mean, you have a very high GPA and if you prep effectively for 2-3 months, you should be able to do fairly well.

Also, feel free to take a look at my LSN profile, but I had fairly similar numbers to you last cycle and ended up on a lot of WLs. I ended up applying early, visiting, etc., but a high GPA cannot usually make up for a lower LSAT score. Believe me, you will be much better off getting those extra few points on the LSAT than wasting 7+ months for a WL to come through. Good luck.

Hey, thanks a lot. This has been a really supportive thread for me. Yes, my confidence has been kicked in the teeth.

You all should know that people like me appreciate the help very much. I have no one to ask about this stuff so this site is everything for me. A few more weeks of practice tests will determine if I pull the plug, regroup, and attack October. As of now, I see October as a better option more than I ever did before. And, I am ok with that... now!

Thanks friends.

oh, I had to edit just for this:

Showtime > beantown

amputatedbrain

Postby amputatedbrain » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:49 pm

In case you were wondering, taking the October LSAT doesn't place you at any disadvantage vis a vis your applications. I took the June LSAT with the idea of getting every app in the day it was available. I had a pretty good cycle, but another few months wouldn't have mattered. Most of the schools didn't really bother looking seriously at my application til the September test-takers had been apply to apply anyway.

Softs and the rest of your application process can't comletely counteract a really awful LSAT score, bu they certainly don't count for nothing (especially if your score falls into the respectable range for the schools you are applying too) as this forum makes it seem sometimes. I'm living proof. If you're going to take the later LSAT, you should try to have the other pieces of your application a polished product by then too, so you can submit ASAP after recieving your score without compromising the quality of the rest of your package, which could be crucial for high GPA/ lower LSAT candidates like us.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”