Florida Coastal Face-to-Face AAMPLE Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kalvano

Diamond

Re: Florida Coastal Face-to-Face AAMPLE

Post by kalvano » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:58 pm

What is this, a program for people who were so bad at the LSAT they had to try and find another way into law school?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:09 pm

florida coastal is a for profit school. They dont care about your future, as long as your tuition check clears. IF you have to take loans just to get into law school, why are you going? You must be intelligent ( you graduated from college), so why are you rushing into a big financial commitment?? Cooley and Florida Coastal are known to be diploma mills. Obtaining employment after recieving a degree will be difficult. WIth the negative reputation that the school has in the legal community, why risk all future financial endeavors for a 3 year program?

YOu seem to have a good study schedule and determined to become a JD. Why not re visit the lsat again, and use this site to help you formulate a study plan to dominate the test? It is a learnable test, if you put in the time and effort.

cynthia rose

Bronze

Post by cynthia rose » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:23 am

The OP said she took the LSAT 3 times. If these retakes were all within the past 2 years she can't retake and reapply, at least not for now. So basically she is stuck with the choice of not going to law school - which she clearly wants to do REALLY badly - or settling for a shitty law school.

I told someone if I didn't make at LEAST a 165 I was not going to even apply to law school. So OP, forgive me for being a bit high-minded when I say this, but good grief, what was your LSAT score if your best option was taking out a loan for a summer program that theoretically* doesn't even guarantee that you'd pass and get into freakin' Florida Coastal? I'm breaking out into hives just thinking about it. And seriously, this?
That month, I was constantly mentored by someone going into her 3L year who passed through AAMPLE (though she did online) - and it was great feedback coming from someone who had been there and passed.
This is just sad. They couldn't find an EMPLOYED grad who could come back to be a mentor. They don't even have staff for this. Having a student mentor a student makes no sense at all.

Most people here will harp on the rankings and the lack of respect the school has. Those are legitimate concerns. But personally I'm more upset about the fact that you just got scammed out of money for a course that doesn't even count towards your degree. Seriously, this whole AAMPLE thing just blows my mind. I really wish you would open your eyes and see how unscrupulous this program is. Unfortunately, I don't think you will.

*I say "theoretically" because in reality we all know that FC was going to let you in. They want your money. They just happened to devise a way to part you from even more of money by making you go through this AAMPLE thing first. Cooley and Nova are probably really jealous that they didn't think of that scheme first.

SueZkay

New

Post by SueZkay » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:38 am

I knew I was going to make it - I don't test well in standardized tests - though I blow lecture material out of the water, which I happened to do in AAMPLE- simply put.

The girl I met - was not a hired mentor no - she was someone I happened to meet, so that is irrelevant to the situation at hand.

FYI - Nova does have an AAMPLE program... good day to flamers and trolls who have no life other to slam schools which have been accredited by the ABA - thus, they ought to be worth something.

Thank goodness for people in this world that care to do nothing other than slam people, when I could be simply putting down my positive feedback for people who could be in the same position as myself. - bravissimo!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:52 am

listen.. if you really want law school and the JD, and you are dead set on going to Coastal, then go and dont look back. Just make sure you have a good plan in place to pay off the debt you have incurred. Its difficult to get a job, and a ton of debt makes life even more difficult.

You say that you are leaving OK for FLorida. Why dont you talk to Tulsa? Oklahoma City has a program that is super easy to get into. Moving to a new state alone to go to a school witha horrible reputation is a recipe for disaster.

Before you totally make that leap, talk to some lawyers in the area who are not affiliated with coastal and ask for their opinion. If you do go, and dont do well, seriously consider dropping out and going in another direction. IF you havent re taken the exam, save your money, invest in a course or tutor, and re take the test before going! Are you absolutely sure you want to do law?? Is there even a sliver of a doubt that this is what you want?? if there is even a 1 percent doubt, then stay in oklahoma and try plan b
Last edited by northwood on Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:04 am

This will absolutely not end well.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:08 am

romothesavior wrote:This will absolutely not end well.

This thread or going to Coastal?

Not that it matters, the answer to either is "yes", I'm just wondering.

Lucidity

New

Post by Lucidity » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:18 am

You're not being slammed because we're trolls or haters. You're being slammed because of your questionable decision making. Despite the fact that you are being presented with indisputable evidence that you are taking on debt to throw away in pursuit of a worthless degree, you charge forward because of some unfounded arrogance that you can simply work hard and everything will be O.K!

Wake up. This is not a Disney cartoon. Believe it or not, if you go to this school you can no longer control your own destiny. For the sake of argument, lets say that you do everything you are supposed to. You bust your ass, ace the exams, and land somewhere near the top of your class. This does not change the fact that the economy sucks. This does not change the fact that Florida already has many law schools, most of whom are much more respected than the scam that is Florida Coastal. This does not change the fact that *shock* coastal has absolutely no respect by anyone in the legal community in Florida, making finding employment a task all that much more daunting.

Does this make sense to you? The trifecta of a shitty economy, an overly saturated home legal market, and an absolutely abysmal reputation in the legal community makes taking on exorbitant amounts of debt to attend this so called school borderline insane. You've already sunk yours and your family's money into this fool's errand, so i doubt anyone can change your mind. I just hope you don't snare anyone else into making the same mistake.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:31 am

SueZkay wrote:Nova does have an AAMPLE program... good day to flamers and trolls who have no life other to slam schools which have been accredited by the ABA - thus, they ought to be worth something.
We make fun of Nova too.

Accreditation from the ABA isn't worth anything anymore; there are tons of ABA accredited schools with terrible employment outcomes for their grads.

Seriously, figure out how you are going to pay off the debt. Because of AAMPLE, I assume you are paying full tuition? Consider dropping, or resign yourself to 25 years of indentured servitude, 10 if you're lucky.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:47 am

This is for sure a flame... right? If not, pick up the dice and roll folks because that is the only way to get from one end of the Candyland board to the other.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:54 am

joeshmo39 wrote:This is for sure a flame... right? If not, pick up the dice and roll folks because that is the only way to get from one end of the Candyland board to the other.
Actually no, you draw cards in Candyland. Remember? The cards have colored squares on them and they tell you how many spots to jump ahead.

LoyolaLaw2012

Bronze

Post by LoyolaLaw2012 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:12 am

I'm from Jacksonville, so I can give some feedback. FC is definitely laughable in the legal community. A FC professor actually told me to avoid the school like the plague.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:37 pm

SueZkay wrote:I knew I was going to make it - I don't test well in standardized tests - though I blow lecture material out of the water, which I happened to do in AAMPLE- simply put.

The girl I met - was not a hired mentor no - she was someone I happened to meet, so that is irrelevant to the situation at hand.

FYI - Nova does have an AAMPLE program... good day to flamers and trolls who have no life other to slam schools which have been accredited by the ABA - thus, they ought to be worth something.

Thank goodness for people in this world that care to do nothing other than slam people, when I could be simply putting down my positive feedback for people who could be in the same position as myself. - bravissimo!
The problem is that you are encouraging other people to participate in this program simply by stating how wonderful the program. Let there be no doubt: All aspects of Florida Coastal should be avoided at all cost. I realize that we can't stop you from making your life choices, however, I hope to forewarn potential applicants that despite what SueZkay says FC is a very, very poor life choice. If you have to retake to get a higher LSAT LS will be there in a year or two. And if you really cannot get a higher score then what is needed to get into a better school then perhaps LS is just not for you. The debt will haunt you forever.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:47 pm

I passed AAMPLE got admitted to the fall term - and I understand that people say it's a waste of money to go to Florida Coastal, that it's not a good school, etc - but this is what I've got to say.
Confirmation bias much?

It's like a guy who goes to Vegas and puts his life savings on the spin of a roulette wheel advising everyone to do the same because he won.

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:52 pm

Forget Florida Coastal. You should be deciding between Nova Southeastern and Barry Law. I strongly recommend this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0&t=123722

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”