Florida Coastal Face-to-Face AAMPLE

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SueZkay

Florida Coastal Face-to-Face AAMPLE

Postby SueZkay » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:42 pm

I know of one other person who decisively chose to dive into the Florida Coastal's Section D of AAMPLE (meaning a face-to-face) program where you're physically there in Jacksonville, FL for the month of June. Who all decided to do this? I know some people found it crazy, to just physically go to FL for a month, but part of me saw it more of a comfort to be there - physically in person - to hear lectures and engage with fellow students.

Any feedback here? (like who's doing the same thing I am, who chose to stick to the online AAMPLE, etc)

richardfitzwell

Re: Florida Coastal Face-to-Face AAMPLE

Postby richardfitzwell » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:51 pm

A-Another
A-Applicants
M-Mistake
P-Perceiving
L- Legitimate
E- Expectations

No, just no.

RETAKE LSAT.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:56 pm

SueZkay wrote:I [strike]know of one other person who decisively[/strike] chose to dive into the Florida Coastal[strike]'s Section D of AAMPLE (meaning a face-to-face) program where you're physically there in Jacksonville, FL for the month of June. Who all decided to do this? I know[/strike] [strike]some people found it[/strike] crazy, [strike]to just physically go to FL for a month, but part of me saw it more of a comfort to be there - physically in person - to hear lectures and engage with fellow students.

Any feedback here? (like who's doing the same thing I am, who chose to stick to the online AAMPLE, etc)[/strike]

fixed

SueZkay

Postby SueZkay » Sun May 02, 2010 7:39 pm

I might be crazy, yes - but at times, you need to have the guts to take a risk here and there.

I took the LSATs 3 times. Before someone says 'maybe law isn't your thing' you ought to know that the LSAT doesn't completely measure or predict 'how well you'll do in school' just your logic and reasoning skills at that very moment you take the test. These things can be developed over time - and I am a firm believer in hard work paying off. I'm not the typical person saying 'I am a horrible standardized test taker' - it's been documented time and time again - even with the LSAT prep class - that I've had this struggle with the test.

As I've been studying this material for the AAMPLE class which I WILL pass (no doubt about that) - I find the material simple, just needing a lot of time set aside for intensive reading and review. For a girl that's had issues with formulating solid study-skills, I find this is the wakeup call I've been needing for a lifetime and I am confident about it (just a few butterflies).

Call me crazy if you must, but I know there are other AAMPLE people out there, just as crazy and determined as I am :mrgreen:

I posted this up to locate those who chose to do the face-to-face AAMPLE at FCSL, not to be flamed for the decision I already made months ago.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sun May 02, 2010 9:21 pm

SueZkay wrote:I might be crazy, yes - but at times, you need to have the guts to take a risk here and there.

I took the LSATs 3 times. Before someone says 'maybe law isn't your thing' you ought to know that the LSAT doesn't completely measure or predict 'how well you'll do in school' just your logic and reasoning skills at that very moment you take the test. These things can be developed over time - and I am a firm believer in hard work paying off. I'm not the typical person saying 'I am a horrible standardized test taker' - it's been documented time and time again - even with the LSAT prep class - that I've had this struggle with the test.

As I've been studying this material for the AAMPLE class which I WILL pass (no doubt about that) - I find the material simple, just needing a lot of time set aside for intensive reading and review. For a girl that's had issues with formulating solid study-skills, I find this is the wakeup call I've been needing for a lifetime and I am confident about it (just a few butterflies).

Call me crazy if you must, but I know there are other AAMPLE people out there, just as crazy and determined as I am :mrgreen:

I posted this up to locate those who chose to do the face-to-face AAMPLE at FCSL, not to be flamed for the decision I already made months ago.

I understand where you are coming from. Is is not at all possible that you could increase your LSAT from whatever it is by 5 points ? With a higher score, from whatever yours is right now, I bet you would be able to go to a better school. Seriously, if that means taking a year off moving to Costa Rica and only studying the LSAT wouldn't that be better than sinking a ton of $$ into a degree that will almost surely be a disappointment?

And trust me, I believe in hard work. While I would punch a baby seal for t-14 I may go to Tulane if my June LSAT doesn't pull through for me. At least there is some hope at schools like Tulane, UF, Miami, FSU or even FIU for ppl that know how to network.

farewelltoarms

Postby farewelltoarms » Mon May 03, 2010 12:22 am

You know what, as a Jacksonville resident I'll be damned if people slander Florida Coastal. Their median LSAT score is 150, which is exactly the median LSAT score of all test takers.

Just consider that, for half the people that take the LSAT, their score isn't good enough to get into Florida Coastal. If that isn't selectivity I don't know what is.

doomed123

Postby doomed123 » Mon May 03, 2010 12:26 am

farewelltoarms wrote:You know what, as a Jacksonville resident I'll be damned if people slander Florida Coastal. Their median LSAT score is 150, which is exactly the median LSAT score of all test takers.

Just consider that, for half the people that take the LSAT, their score isn't good enough to get into Florida Coastal. If that isn't selectivity I don't know what is.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Lucidity

Postby Lucidity » Mon May 03, 2010 7:19 pm

farewelltoarms wrote:You know what, as a Jacksonville resident I'll be damned if people slander Florida Coastal. Their median LSAT score is 150, which is exactly the median LSAT score of all test takers.

With logic like this no wonder you defend this "school". A school's "median" lsat is not the cut off for acceptance. Just about everyone at or above the median of Florida Coastal will be admitted. Just about everyone at or below the median of Florida Coastal ... will still be admitted. Don't take my word for it, go to law school numbers and see for yourself. A mid to low 140s lsat score still makes you competitive given a 3.0~ gpa.

Do not go to Florida Coastal.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon May 03, 2010 7:26 pm

Any sentence that starts with "Their median LSAT score is 150" and tries to spin it positively.. will not end well.

I'm not here to trash lower schools. I've never done it. However, I think you should strongly consider somewhere else. Strongly. I wish you luck as you seem motivated. Your motivation might be better suited towards the LSAT instead of this AAMPLE thing.

KamaalTheAbstract

Postby KamaalTheAbstract » Mon May 03, 2010 7:30 pm

The LSAT may not have a direct correlation on how well you'll do in law school but it does have a direct correlation to which law school you attend and that's equally important. Maybe even more important.

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Tue May 04, 2010 8:20 am

FLAME......come on I live and work in Jacksonville in a legal job and ALOT of people slander Coasttttal, even lawyers :shock:

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue May 04, 2010 9:25 am

SAOJD10 wrote:

FLAME......come on I live and work in Jacksonville in a legal job and ALOT of people slander Coasttttal, even lawyers :shock:

It's not slander if it's true.

jgo01

Postby jgo01 » Fri May 07, 2010 2:48 pm

OK for those that DID NOT understand what Sue said the first time and second time...this post is for PEOPLE that are currently in the FACE to FACE Aample program for 2010...meaning that we could care less whether the school is this or that, whatever median is or LSAT score or etc etc blah blah nah nah...School status is not all that is important here. My family has a very powerful firm here in the States and when I graduate (from whatever school that may be) I already have a set job and don't need to have an extra luminous degree from blah blah school. So please let's just forget about whatever school anyone is in and let's focus on Aample students in this post.

So back to Sue, I'm in your face to face class and I am also very excited to start!! I hope we can set up a study group and get this thing going because we will prevail girl ;) what what!

And side-note: I visited Jacksonville last week and it is a great city and Florida Coastal seems like a great school as well.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri May 07, 2010 3:18 pm

jgo01 wrote:OK for those that DID NOT understand what Sue said the first time and second time...this post is for PEOPLE that are currently in the FACE to FACE Aample program for 2010...meaning that we could care less whether the school is this or that, whatever median is or LSAT score or etc etc blah blah nah nah...School status is not all that is important here. My family has a very powerful firm here in the States and when I graduate (from whatever school that may be) I already have a set job and don't need to have an extra luminous degree from blah blah school. So please let's just forget about whatever school anyone is in and let's focus on Aample students in this post.

So back to Sue, I'm in your face to face class and I am also very excited to start!! I hope we can set up a study group and get this thing going because we will prevail girl ;) what what!

And side-note: I visited Jacksonville last week and it is a great city and Florida Coastal seems like a great school as well.

so why are you going to worry about extra studying if all you need to do is graduate and take that job ? Doing the bare minimum should be good enough.

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Fri May 07, 2010 4:04 pm

so how nice was the renovated office building off 1-95 when you visited??? Honestly.......this is a bad decision, I am from the area so I can vouch (please PM with any questions about J-ville if you want), but when the PD office only will take top 10% (and the head of the PD is a coastal grad) you know somethings up

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri May 07, 2010 4:07 pm

SAOJD10 wrote:but when the PD office only will take top 10% (and the head of the PD is a coastal grad) you know somethings up

Whoa.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Fri May 07, 2010 4:30 pm

rad law wrote:
SAOJD10 wrote:but when the PD office only will take top 10% (and the head of the PD is a coastal grad) you know somethings up

Whoa.

SueZkay

Postby SueZkay » Fri May 07, 2010 7:55 pm

I can't say I'm guaranteed a job when I finish law school - because my family is purely medical O.O - so I'm sort of treading along, avoiding the evils of organic chemistry and comparative anatomy and physiology - X_X - but I was raised with a very strong and determined work ethic.

Well, also, I think I could be a damned good attorney - which is why I've worked as hard as I have. The thing is, right now, I'm thinking Florida Coastal, because in a sense, they've opened doors for me. From there upon succeeding, I could choose to transfer, if that is a big concern at the time. Though for the moment, I am expressing much gratitude for the morsel of opportunity that this school has given me, to at the very least, get my foot in the door to get into a school. I'm not saying yes I'm totally going to transfer out of Florida Coastal when I get a chance - I'm not saying I'm going to stay in Florida Coastal. For now, this is my opportunity to be able to experience what I'm getting into (as far as a career as a law student goes). It was either this or Cooley - and I chose this... Besides, I think the main reason people don't give Florida Coastal much credit is because it's a young school - but give it like 20 years, and I'm sure that these worries will be gone with the wind, because the school will finally be well-established.

I'm very determined to succeed to boot. My family had to shift around some funds in order to accommodate me into this program, and am now not only in this for me, but for them as well.

I am going way beyond my comfort zone - leaving Oklahoma for Jacksonville - for a month - and the only other time I've ever been in FL was a spring break at Disney World when I was 6 - I'm telling you - there's no family here or anything to pick up my pieces if I break - I'd have to endure the air-travel back home if that happened - but I'm doing this because I've got a feeling - which might sound crazy, yes - but sometimes you just have to go with your instinct - and mine is saying GO FOR IT!

---I look forward towards the study group btw :) --

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri May 07, 2010 10:43 pm

SueZkay wrote:I can't say I'm guaranteed a job when I finish law school - because my family is purely medical O.O - so I'm sort of treading along, avoiding the evils of organic chemistry and comparative anatomy and physiology - X_X - but I was raised with a very strong and determined work ethic.

Well, also, I think I could be a damned good attorney - which is why I've worked as hard as I have. The thing is, right now, I'm thinking Florida Coastal, because in a sense, they've opened doors for me. From there upon succeeding, I could choose to transfer, if that is a big concern at the time. Though for the moment, I am expressing much gratitude for the morsel of opportunity that this school has given me, to at the very least, get my foot in the door to get into a school. I'm not saying yes I'm totally going to transfer out of Florida Coastal when I get a chance - I'm not saying I'm going to stay in Florida Coastal. For now, this is my opportunity to be able to experience what I'm getting into (as far as a career as a law student goes). It was either this or Cooley - and I chose this... Besides, I think the main reason people don't give Florida Coastal much credit is because it's a young school - but give it like 20 years, and I'm sure that these worries will be gone with the wind, because the school will finally be well-established.

I'm very determined to succeed to boot. My family had to shift around some funds in order to accommodate me into this program, and am now not only in this for me, but for them as well.

I am going way beyond my comfort zone - leaving Oklahoma for Jacksonville - for a month - and the only other time I've ever been in FL was a spring break at Disney World when I was 6 - I'm telling you - there's no family here or anything to pick up my pieces if I break - I'd have to endure the air-travel back home if that happened - but I'm doing this because I've got a feeling - which might sound crazy, yes - but sometimes you just have to go with your instinct - and mine is saying GO FOR IT!

---I look forward towards the study group btw :) --

either flame or dumb-as-shit. sorry, but anyone who assumes they will be able to transfer is one of these two.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri May 07, 2010 10:50 pm

I have to say this, because I am from FL.

FL Coastal is a terrible investment. People who are below median or even above median at UF, the undisputed top dog in FL are having trouble finding jobs. FSU and Miami, the next best schools in FL are not doing well either, even in their respective regions. Keep in mind that these are the top schools in the state, and pump out enough grads to nearly satiate the state's already disgustingly glutted legal market. On top of that, this glutted FL market has shrunk tremendously. Just for example, in the Tampa Bay area, local government (State Atty., City Atty., etc.) hiring is in the toilet. Jax is no different. Big firms are deferring and no-offering associates. I'm not saying you will even be competitive for biglaw, because absent some ridiculous connections, even at the top of the class, you won't. However, the people who would have gone biglaw are now more than happy to get any job, including the local govt. and small firm jobs that you would be competing for. Did you read the post where the Jax PD office, the traditional haunt of those at the bottom of law school classes, will only take the top 10% of Coastal grads?

Thinking solo practice? I wouldn't. With no established clients, you have a great shot of ruining yourself financially or landing yourself a nice malpractice lawsuit.

On top of this, FL Coastal is probably one of the least respected schools in the state, right down there with Nova and FAMU, with few alumni and opportunities. I know quite a few successful lawyers who probably couldn't tell you that FL Coastal even has a law school, much less any that are willing to take a chance on Coastal grads.

Even worse, Coastal will run you $31,000 a year plus cost of living. Because of this, you're looking at going $120,000 in debt for a school that will give you minimal opportunities to repay this debt, even if you're at the tippity top of your class. Add three years in opportunity cost, and you lose maybe $200,000, and that's a conservative estimate. Going to this school is about as good an idea as subprime mortgages. At least a mortgage you can back out of. This is $120k of non-dischargeable debt you're essentially gambling with on worse odds than 00 on the roulette wheel. FL Coastal is an egregious diploma mill. You have a great shot of not getting a legal job at all, from Coastal, meaning you completely wasted 3 years. Retake and reapply.

DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Fri May 07, 2010 11:03 pm

Fl Coastal is not a good decision

SueZkay

Postby SueZkay » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:05 pm

Okay - I took the face to face AAMPLE in Florida Coastal, and in that month-long experience, I have only good things to say about the school.

Yes, it was the hardest studying month I've ever experienced
Yes, it was pretty on the expensive side (I had to take a loan to pay for this)
Yes, it was totally worth it.

I passed AAMPLE got admitted to the fall term - and I understand that people say it's a waste of money to go to Florida Coastal, that it's not a good school, etc - but this is what I've got to say. The staff there was more than helpful with aample students - they want you to pass - and they want you to succeed. That month, I was constantly mentored by someone going into her 3L year who passed through AAMPLE (though she did online) - and it was great feedback coming from someone who had been there and passed. In life lessons, I learned that it's not ALWAYS what school you go to that counts (although there are times where you are judged for that) - but it is ALWAYS whether or not you made the cut. One person could be at the bottom of their class at Harvard and at the top of their class at Florida Coastal - and it's the hardest working one that would prevail, simply put.

For anyone in the future who is considering AAMPLE - by all means, feel free to drop me an email skufdakis@gmail.com - I'm glad to fill you in on what you're getting into, and weighing the options - because I know what it's like to wonder.... what the hell am I getting into?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:26 pm

SueZkay wrote:The staff there was more than helpful with aample students - they want you to pass - and they want you to succeed. your tuition dollars.

Best of luck.

SueZkay

Postby SueZkay » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:45 pm

thank you for the well wishes

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:52 pm

SueZkay wrote:Okay - I took the face to face AAMPLE in Florida Coastal, and in that month-long experience, I have only good things to say about the school.

Yes, it was the hardest studying month I've ever experienced
Yes, it was pretty on the expensive side (I had to take a loan to pay for this)
Yes, it was totally worth it.

I passed AAMPLE got admitted to the fall term - and I understand that people say it's a waste of money to go to Florida Coastal, that it's not a good school, etc - but this is what I've got to say. The staff there was more than helpful with aample students - they want you to pass - and they want you to succeed. That month, I was constantly mentored by someone going into her 3L year who passed through AAMPLE (though she did online) - and it was great feedback coming from someone who had been there and passed. In life lessons, I learned that it's not ALWAYS what school you go to that counts (although there are times where you are judged for that) - but it is ALWAYS whether or not you made the cut. One person could be at the bottom of their class at Harvard and at the top of their class at Florida Coastal - and it's the hardest working one that would prevail, simply put.

For anyone in the future who is considering AAMPLE - by all means, feel free to drop me an email skufdakis@gmail.com - I'm glad to fill you in on what you're getting into, and weighing the options - because I know what it's like to wonder.... what the hell am I getting into?

so wait, let me get this straight, you took out a loan in the hopes of getting into Coastal so that you can take out more loans once you are at Coastal ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”