top places - gpa padding

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:52 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:I agree that someone from my school wouldn't get in anywhere without military service. There is a line at some point. At the top end though, I don't think it is enough to make a big enough difference to be quantifiable. If you read any of the dean interviews on here or other sites, they all say to major in something that interests you and that you can do well in. They don't care about the rigor of the course or the school. So the advice about having too many community college classes and such isn't accurate. HYS are known to care though. They prefer to pick up other ivies. Hence all the references by other people.


the first statement does not necessarily imply the second


I wasn't trying to attack or discredit you. I just think your advice, while maybe appropriate for general advice, doesn't fit OP or what he is asking. Which schools told you they care about this stuff? I asked Adcomms at a couple T14 schools and they all said they don't even look at the transcript, just the GPA. The transcript only comes into play if trying to differentiate two otherwise like candidates.

None of this really matters anyhow. A .1 difference between ivy GPA and LSDAS isn't even going to be factored. The point of the LSDAS is to index GPAs. The only time I know of where this may not hold true is a low GPA at a top engineering school or similar. Ivies inflate their GPAs anyhow, so nothing credits a low Ivy GPA.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby thecilent » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:55 pm

Too much flame for me to even handle ITT from this OP

Why do you guys keep going at it with him? Guess it was a pretty good one

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:56 pm

Cilent21 wrote:Too much flame for me to even handle ITT from this OP

Why do you guys keep going at it with him? Guess it was a pretty good one


Ah, I'm bored. Why not.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:56 pm

blhoward2 wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:I agree that someone from my school wouldn't get in anywhere without military service. There is a line at some point. At the top end though, I don't think it is enough to make a big enough difference to be quantifiable. If you read any of the dean interviews on here or other sites, they all say to major in something that interests you and that you can do well in. They don't care about the rigor of the course or the school. So the advice about having too many community college classes and such isn't accurate. HYS are known to care though. They prefer to pick up other ivies. Hence all the references by other people.


the first statement does not necessarily imply the second


I wasn't trying to attack or discredit you. I just think your advice, while maybe appropriate for general advice, doesn't fit OP or what he is asking. Which schools told you they care about this stuff? I asked Adcomms at a couple T14 schools and they all said they don't even look at the transcript, just the GPA. The transcript only comes into play if trying to differentiate two otherwise like candidates.

None of this really matters anyhow. A .1 difference between ivy GPA and LSDAS isn't even going to be factored. The point of the LSDAS is to index GPAs. The only time I know of where this may not hold true is a low GPA at a top engineering school or similar.


i realize that. i simply disagreed :) in fact, i think my advice is particularly appropriate for the OP (iunno about in general haha). the only school he has mentioned seems to be HLS, and that is the one i did the most research on. 2 HLS adcomms told me above. the transcript (and whole academic summary) is definitely looked at by them, regardless of whether they are trying to differentiate two otherwise similar candidates or not (maybe it doesnt come in if you're an auto reject tho?)

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby thecilent » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:57 pm

blhoward2 wrote:
Cilent21 wrote:Too much flame for me to even handle ITT from this OP

Why do you guys keep going at it with him? Guess it was a pretty good one


Ah, I'm bored. Why not.


Very true lol

fish
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby fish » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:57 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:
Fish- it is painfully obvious that you have an answer that you want us to give you in mind, and anyone that gives you a different answer (delivered with the sarcasm that these threads are often known for) is labeled by you as "insecure." Your question is whether or not this discrepancy will affect you. As many posters have told you numerous times already, no. HYS may look at it, but it is the LSDAS GPA they care about. Why? Because a lot of people have discrepancies that come from transfer credits, withdrawing from a class, etc, and that GPA is the one they report to USNWR. There is your answer, take it and be done with it.

Second, the reason why I brought up majors is because you brought up your "challenging social sciences curriculum." As DF pointed out, your question was poorly phrased- until you rephrased later, none of us had the right idea about what you are asking. Also, before you go smashing blhoward2's cycle (or as you say, rain on his parade), you may want to listen. Unless the poster identifies him/herself as a member of an admissions staff, none of us have any sort of "in" with admissions and get inside information. We tell you what we have learned/deduced from ours and other's applications.

Calm down, take what we can give you, or bring your questions elsewhere. That's it.


1 - HYS will care about much more than the LSDAS GPA, they can have their pic of formidable applicants. Outside classes could potentially be called into question. Precisely because so many outside variables come into play, UGPA (grades+ institution + major in some cases) is something of an equalizer amongst applicants. My first question was whether this discrepancy would affect me, my follow-up asked to what degree they would affect me.

2- this brings up one of my earlier posts - if you don't have anything constructive or reasoned or intelligent to say than to post attacks, there are plenty of other threads on the forum

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:02 am

No one has attacked you. If you think anyone in this thread has, you haven't been reading TLS for long. No one can say what HYS will care about without knowing the rest of your numbers. .1 is nothing if you have a 180. It may matter if you are trying to squeak in with a 172. If you haven't taken the LSAT, you're too early in the cycle to worry about what HYS cares about.
Last edited by 03121202698008 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:07 am

blhoward2 wrote:
fish wrote:
JessicaTiger wrote:
Fish- it is painfully obvious that you have an answer that you want us to give you in mind, and anyone that gives you a different answer (delivered with the sarcasm that these threads are often known for) is labeled by you as "insecure." Your question is whether or not this discrepancy will affect you. As many posters have told you numerous times already, no. HYS may look at it, but it is the LSDAS GPA they care about. Why? Because a lot of people have discrepancies that come from transfer credits, withdrawing from a class, etc, and that GPA is the one they report to USNWR. There is your answer, take it and be done with it.

Second, the reason why I brought up majors is because you brought up your "challenging social sciences curriculum." As DF pointed out, your question was poorly phrased- until you rephrased later, none of us had the right idea about what you are asking. Also, before you go smashing blhoward2's cycle (or as you say, rain on his parade), you may want to listen. Unless the poster identifies him/herself as a member of an admissions staff, none of us have any sort of "in" with admissions and get inside information. We tell you what we have learned/deduced from ours and other's applications.

Calm down, take what we can give you, or bring your questions elsewhere. That's it.


1 - HYS will care about much more than the LSDAS GPA, they can have their pic of formidable applicants. Outside classes could potentially be called into question. Precisely because so many outside variables come into play, UGPA (grades+ institution + major in some cases) is something of an equalizer amongst applicants. My first question was whether this discrepancy would affect me, my follow-up asked to what degree they would affect me.

2- this brings up one of my earlier posts - if you don't have anything constructive or reasoned or intelligent to say than to post attacks, there are plenty of other threads on the forum


No one has attacked you. If you think anyone in this thread has, you haven't been reading TLS for long. No one can say what HYS will care about without knowing the rest of your numbers. .1 is nothing if you have a 180. It may matter if you are trying to squeak in with a 172. If you haven't taken the LSAT, you're too early in the cycle to worry about what HYS cares about.


also just as a cautionary tale over from the HLS thread: apparently this cycle (thus far), GPA matters a good amount. if you are say, 3.5 w/ decent softs and a 180...prob bad chances. even some 3.6's. they have rarely gone below the 3.7 floor this cycle :X

fish
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby fish » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:09 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
i realize that. i simply disagreed :) in fact, i think my advice is particularly appropriate for the OP (iunno about in general haha). the only school he has mentioned seems to be HLS, and that is the one i did the most research on. 2 HLS adcomms told me above. the transcript (and whole academic summary) is definitely looked at by them, regardless of whether they are trying to differentiate two otherwise similar candidates or not (maybe it doesnt come in if you're an auto reject tho?)


this seems reasonable to me.... thanks again. hopefully someone gets something out of this doozy of a thread in the future!

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:10 am

fish wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
i realize that. i simply disagreed :) in fact, i think my advice is particularly appropriate for the OP (iunno about in general haha). the only school he has mentioned seems to be HLS, and that is the one i did the most research on. 2 HLS adcomms told me above. the transcript (and whole academic summary) is definitely looked at by them, regardless of whether they are trying to differentiate two otherwise similar candidates or not (maybe it doesnt come in if you're an auto reject tho?)


this seems reasonable to me.... thanks again. hopefully someone gets something out of this doozy of a thread in the future!


Doozy? This thread is 4 pages. The good ones hit 30+ and result in multiple bans. This thread will be forgotten in 6 hours.

Edit: Or have posts on abovethelaw.com about them.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:13 am

blhoward2 wrote:
fish wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
i realize that. i simply disagreed :) in fact, i think my advice is particularly appropriate for the OP (iunno about in general haha). the only school he has mentioned seems to be HLS, and that is the one i did the most research on. 2 HLS adcomms told me above. the transcript (and whole academic summary) is definitely looked at by them, regardless of whether they are trying to differentiate two otherwise similar candidates or not (maybe it doesnt come in if you're an auto reject tho?)


this seems reasonable to me.... thanks again. hopefully someone gets something out of this doozy of a thread in the future!


Doozy? This thread is 4 pages. The good ones hit 30+ and result in multiple bans. This thread will be forgotten in 6 hours.

Edit: Or have posts on abovethelaw.com about them.


man i miss some of those banned threads...oh fordham and TM! okay i dont really miss the fordham one, but the subsequent flame thread it spawned was somewhat entertaining lol

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby Unemployed » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:18 am

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=76153

IIRC, this is just a reconstruction of the original, which was much, much more epic.

fish
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby fish » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:25 am

blhoward2 wrote:
Doozy? This thread is 4 pages. The good ones hit 30+ and result in multiple bans. This thread will be forgotten in 6 hours.

Edit: Or have posts on abovethelaw.com about them.


haha well for the uninitiated.....

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby im_blue » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:43 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:
fish wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
i realize that. i simply disagreed :) in fact, i think my advice is particularly appropriate for the OP (iunno about in general haha). the only school he has mentioned seems to be HLS, and that is the one i did the most research on. 2 HLS adcomms told me above. the transcript (and whole academic summary) is definitely looked at by them, regardless of whether they are trying to differentiate two otherwise similar candidates or not (maybe it doesnt come in if you're an auto reject tho?)


this seems reasonable to me.... thanks again. hopefully someone gets something out of this doozy of a thread in the future!


Doozy? This thread is 4 pages. The good ones hit 30+ and result in multiple bans. This thread will be forgotten in 6 hours.

Edit: Or have posts on abovethelaw.com about them.


man i miss some of those banned threads...oh fordham and TM! okay i dont really miss the fordham one, but the subsequent flame thread it spawned was somewhat entertaining lol

I'd like to claim credit for fanning the flames in the subsequent thread. :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=114524

User avatar
ccs224
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby ccs224 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:23 am

I think I know who OP is, and I think her new song just dropped: http://gawker.com/5524872/cover-your-ea ... as-arrived

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby flyingpanda » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:27 am

This is what fish had to say to me:

fish wrote:
are you blind or retarded? looking at your gpa, I'm guessing both.
If you are going to go off on tangents, take the advice I posted earlier - don't visit the thread, and shut your damn mouth.


I'm blind or retarded :( Must have been an admissions boost for me

User avatar
BriaTharen
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby BriaTharen » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:32 am

aznflyingpanda wrote:This is what fish had to say to me:

fish wrote:
are you blind or retarded? looking at your gpa, I'm guessing both.
If you are going to go off on tangents, take the advice I posted earlier - don't visit the thread, and shut your damn mouth.


I'm blind or retarded :( Must have been an admissions boost for me

He send that to you in a PM or something?

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby flyingpanda » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:33 am

JessicaTiger wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:This is what fish had to say to me:

fish wrote:
are you blind or retarded? looking at your gpa, I'm guessing both.
If you are going to go off on tangents, take the advice I posted earlier - don't visit the thread, and shut your damn mouth.


I'm blind or retarded :( Must have been an admissions boost for me

He send that to you in a PM or something?



Yes, yes he did

User avatar
BriaTharen
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby BriaTharen » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:35 am

aznflyingpanda wrote:
JessicaTiger wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:This is what fish had to say to me:

fish wrote:
are you blind or retarded? looking at your gpa, I'm guessing both.
If you are going to go off on tangents, take the advice I posted earlier - don't visit the thread, and shut your damn mouth.


I'm blind or retarded :( Must have been an admissions boost for me

He send that to you in a PM or something?



Yes, yes he did

Aw, where's my attack-fish PM? I feel left out.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:37 am

aznflyingpanda wrote:
JessicaTiger wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:This is what fish had to say to me:

fish wrote:
are you blind or retarded? looking at your gpa, I'm guessing both.
If you are going to go off on tangents, take the advice I posted earlier - don't visit the thread, and shut your damn mouth.


I'm blind or retarded :( Must have been an admissions boost for me

He send that to you in a PM or something?



Yes, yes he did



Wow posting PRIVATE messages on a public forum. What a dick move, for shame Panda...for shame.

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby flyingpanda » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:38 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:lol, not gonna take a year off and shoot for the polytech school?



lol I probably should right? But, no I really don't want to do that, or work hard to get a job, because mine ends very soon. I'm content with a T30, I sort of expecting that'd be where I would end up because I'm my GPA combined with some other potential red flags in my app.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:39 am

aznflyingpanda wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:lol, not gonna take a year off and shoot for the polytech school?



lol I probably should right? But, no I really don't want to do that, or work hard to get a job, because mine ends very soon. I'm content with a T30, I sort of expecting that'd be where I would end up because I'm my GPA combined with some other potential red flags in my app.


lol, you fucking bastard I sent that to you like 3 months ago

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby flyingpanda » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:40 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:lol, not gonna take a year off and shoot for the polytech school?



lol I probably should right? But, no I really don't want to do that, or work hard to get a job, because mine ends very soon. I'm content with a T30, I sort of expecting that'd be where I would end up because I'm my GPA combined with some other potential red flags in my app.


lol, you fucking bastard I sent that to you like 3 months ago


Lol we don't PM very much, that was the most recent I found.

User avatar
BriaTharen
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby BriaTharen » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:44 am

aznflyingpanda wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
lol I probably should right? But, no I really don't want to do that, or work hard to get a job, because mine ends very soon. I'm content with a T30, I sort of expecting that'd be where I would end up because I'm my GPA combined with some other potential red flags in my app.


lol, you fucking bastard I sent that to you like 3 months ago


Lol we don't PM very much, that was the most recent I found.


Note to self- don't PM panda anymore personal info. It might end up in this God-forsaken thread.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:45 am

Sorry Panda, didn't want to do this, but I have to fight fire with fire.

aznflyingpanda wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:Effective penis enlargement method
ummm why did you send that to me?
omg oops :oops: meant to type that into google search on the other tab




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest