top places - gpa padding

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fish
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby fish » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:15 pm

Desert Fox wrote:The answer is the top schools (HYS) probably will care if you obviously pad your GPA. But you being at an ivy makes no difference. They won't like students are crappy colleges doing it either.

However, if you take some summer courses at your local state school, they won't view it as GPA padding unless the courses are obviously stupid. But be careful, depending on the school the courses aren't going to be that much easier, if easier at all. Ivy schools gives out a ton of A's per class. You are probably better off padding your GPA at your ivy. It looks less suspicious, and will be just as easy.


So then the distinction between obviously padding vs just taking extra classes hinges on the difficulty of the extra classes taken, not where they are taken necessarily, yes? According to this logic: if you take underwater basketweaving in-school, its still padding vs taking quantum physics outside of school?

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby flyingpanda » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:22 pm

fish wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:The answer is the top schools (HYS) probably will care if you obviously pad your GPA. But you being at an ivy makes no difference. They won't like students are crappy colleges doing it either.

However, if you take some summer courses at your local state school, they won't view it as GPA padding unless the courses are obviously stupid. But be careful, depending on the school the courses aren't going to be that much easier, if easier at all. Ivy schools gives out a ton of A's per class. You are probably better off padding your GPA at your ivy. It looks less suspicious, and will be just as easy.


So then the distinction between obviously padding vs just taking extra classes hinges on the difficulty of the extra classes taken, not where they are taken necessarily, yes? According to this logic: if you take underwater basketweaving in-school, its still padding vs taking quantum physics outside of school?


OK for the love of god.... FOR THE LAST TIME, only HYS will care about GPA padding or where you went to school. For every single other school, your major/school are irrelevant.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby thecilent » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:02 pm

Hate this thread so much. Ughh

fish
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby fish » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:37 pm

aznflyingpanda wrote:
fish wrote:So then the distinction between obviously padding vs just taking extra classes hinges on the difficulty of the extra classes taken, not where they are taken necessarily, yes? According to this logic: if you take underwater basketweaving in-school, its still padding vs taking quantum physics outside of school?


OK for the love of god.... FOR THE LAST TIME, only HYS will care about GPA padding or where you went to school. For every single other school, your major/school are irrelevant.


Every time some moron comes on here and makes an irrelevant post, I'm just going to bump.

Azn, just for your benefit: I never asked who cared about GPA padding; in fact, I implicitly said that only the top schools would care about GPA padding, and explicitly asked solely with regard to Harvard-caliber schools. I also did not first mention major or school difficulty/rank - that was, respectively, jessicatiger and some guy way back on the first page who got Ivy rage. Fail.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:44 pm

Flame...and not even a good one. This guy has 16 posts, all in this thread. No one seriously believes having a degree from an Ivy is an honor. If they do, I feel sorry for them.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:56 pm

i hope my post is a comprehensive one...i just read the whole thread and dont have a horse in this race

OP, if your LSAC GPA is .1-.15 higher than your degree GPA (ivy or not), schools will not really care. HYS might, but only if it falls in one of those murky areas (i.e. median, 25% - so if your LSAC is a 3.8 but degree is 3.7...but even then, they are prob glad to see that LSAC 3.8. the other way around would prob hurt you more). the reason for this is because LSAC is the # they have to report to USNWR...it makes it matter that much more.

but at the same time, the schools also look at your whole transcript (and apparently they are pretty good at it...if you believe what adcomms tell you lol) so they will make separate judgments based on that...if you have a lot of AP credits from HS or took a LOT of community college courses...well that is obvious and may hurt you (though i really doubt JR would bring this up in the HLS interview unless you took a shitton). A .1 discrepancy prob isnt that many 'padding' courses so i really doubt they would care.

now the type of courses you take do matter to some extent, but once again, it is all about trend. having 1-2 basketweaving lvl courses will not hurt you...having 10 will lol. taking 3-4 courses at a community college will not hurt you. taking 10+ prob will. you get the picture.

and since you brought it up, majors/ivy do not really matter either. w/ the exception of maybe some hard sciences and engineering, GPAs do not get much of a boost just because of the major. it is more like a positive soft, not some game changer (unless you were really on the borderline). a 3.5 engineering major vs a 3.5 philosophy major = engineering major wins w/ all else being equal. but id rather be a 3.6 philo than a 3.5 engineering in the same situation (excluding certain programs/schools that are really geared towards IP law).

ivy GPAs do not really help you either in law school admissions...unless it is like a HYP (and i read a convincing article on brown, so lets just say ivies) and AT a top law school. i know HLS tends to have a larger % of Harvard ugrad students in its incoming class. obviously there's selective biases at work here and the fact that Harvard ugrad students are prob more distinguished academically/possibly have higher LSAT as well, but i dont think it accounts for all those acceptances. prob a small bump imo. the reason why ivies do not have a SUPER big bump over say a TTT ugrad GPA is because ivies actually inflate their GPAs. i dont have the link to the chart here, but when i was browsing it recently, Brown had one of the highest avg GPAs at like 3.6x and Harvard and Yale were like at 3.5x. etc. thats effing high haha.

my final comment to wrap up this long post: if you're already making this many enemies on an online forum, law school will be a real bitch. sure ppl are meaner online, but take it in stride and look at your own comments -- they usually hold clues as to why multiple ppl lash out at you. i know you didnt ask for this last part, but im giving it anyways :P
Last edited by DoubleChecks on Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fish
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby fish » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:57 pm

2nd above - or I have 16 posts in one thread because I opened an account today to ask a question, and instead got a bunch of people making irrelevant posts like yours

again, bump
Last edited by fish on Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:59 pm

fish wrote:above - or I have 16 posts in one thread because I opened an account today to ask a question, and instead got a bunch of people making irrelevant posts like yours

again, bump


What do you thinking bumping accomplishes? We are bumping it by posting too. No one gives a shit if it is at the top of the list.

fish
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby fish » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:05 pm

blhoward2 wrote:
fish wrote:above - or I have 16 posts in one thread because I opened an account today to ask a question, and instead got a bunch of people making irrelevant posts like yours

again, bump


What do you thinking bumping accomplishes? We are bumping it by posting too. No one gives a shit if it is at the top of the list.


nothing, except if a bunch of morons keep making stupid posts, I get a perverse pleasure out of further pissing them off...

now let me ask you a question - how the hell is this "No one seriously believes having a degree from an Ivy is an honor. If they do, I feel sorry for them." related to my post? it isn't. why is everyone on this thread either ridiculously insecure or pmsing? I didn't say that, someone else did. And for the record, I suspect you'd be hard-pressed to make that argument anywhere from other than behind the protection of online anonymity. Most people, even non-academic laypeople, will recognize that graduating from an Ivy (assuming on merit and with a reasonable overall performance) is to be commended.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:07 pm

fish wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:
fish wrote:above - or I have 16 posts in one thread because I opened an account today to ask a question, and instead got a bunch of people making irrelevant posts like yours

again, bump


What do you thinking bumping accomplishes? We are bumping it by posting too. No one gives a shit if it is at the top of the list.


nothing, except if a bunch of morons keep making stupid posts, I get a perverse pleasure out of further pissing them off...

now let me ask you a question - how the hell is this "No one seriously believes having a degree from an Ivy is an honor. If they do, I feel sorry for them." related to my post? it isn't. why is everyone on this thread either ridiculously insecure or pmsing? I didn't say that, someone else did. And for the record, I suspect you'd be hard-pressed to make that argument anywhere from other than behind the protection of online anonymity. Most people, even non-academic laypeople, will recognize that graduating from an Ivy (assuming on merit and with a reasonable overall performance) is to be commended.


not to be an attention whore, but did you read my post? you seem to be more interested in flaming back 'irrelevant' posters lol

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:08 pm

fish wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:
fish wrote:above - or I have 16 posts in one thread because I opened an account today to ask a question, and instead got a bunch of people making irrelevant posts like yours

again, bump


What do you thinking bumping accomplishes? We are bumping it by posting too. No one gives a shit if it is at the top of the list.


nothing, except if a bunch of morons keep making stupid posts, I get a perverse pleasure out of further pissing them off...

now let me ask you a question - how the hell is this "No one seriously believes having a degree from an Ivy is an honor. If they do, I feel sorry for them." related to my post? it isn't. why is everyone on this thread either ridiculously insecure or pmsing? I didn't say that, someone else did. And for the record, I suspect you'd be hard-pressed to make that argument anywhere from other than behind the protection of online anonymity. Most people, even non-academic laypeople, will recognize that graduating from an Ivy (assuming on merit and with a reasonable overall performance) is to be commended.


Dude, a school is a school. Some are better then others sure, but having graduated from there doesn't merit commendation. I know and have worked with people from many backgrounds, including ivies. Many of the ivy grads thought they were entitled because of their school. All of them eventually learned that it didn't mean shit once they actually had a job.

Who do you think you are pissing off? None of us are invested enough to be pissed off.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:11 pm

Also, for the record, I graduated from a shitty online school geared towards the military. While I probably could have gotten into an ivy, I chose to serve my country for 10 years and earn my bachelors/masters while deployed to Iraq. I got in exactly where my numbers said I should. Talking to my fellow Michigan 0Ls, we are all in the same number range whether ivy or not. Nearly everyone in the same band got the same scholarships. I've heard the same from many other schools.

The people I know from ivies who were .1-.2 below where the bottom of the pack is, they are going to lower-ranked schools where they got in.

Edit: The moral is, its all numbers. Schools only care about what they report for their rankings. Soft factors, including your school, are extremely secondary. No school cares if you took extra classes to raise your LSAC GPA, they only care what the final number is.
Last edited by 03121202698008 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fish
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby fish » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:11 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:i hope my post is a comprehensive one...i just read the whole thread and dont have a horse in this race

OP, if your LSAC GPA is .1-.15 higher than your degree GPA (ivy or not), schools will not really care. HYS might, but only if it falls in one of those murky areas (i.e. median, 25% - so if your LSAC is a 3.8 but degree is 3.7...but even then, they are prob glad to see that LSAC 3.8. the other way around would prob hurt you more). the reason for this is because LSAC is the # they have to report to USNWR...it makes it matter that much more.

but at the same time, the schools also look at your whole transcript (and apparently they are pretty good at it...if you believe what adcomms tell you lol) so they will make separate judgments based on that...if you have a lot of AP credits from HS or took a LOT of community college courses...well that is obvious and may hurt you (though i really doubt JR would bring this up in the HLS interview unless you took a shitton). A .1 discrepancy prob isnt that many 'padding' courses so i really doubt they would care.

now the type of courses you take do matter to some extent, but once again, it is all about trend. having 1-2 basketweaving lvl courses will not hurt you...having 10 will lol. taking 3-4 courses at a community college will not hurt you. taking 10+ prob will. you get the picture.



This is exactly the type of answer I was looking for all along.

And for the record, I asked about major only in response to another post that hinted they might matter, and explicitly said later on that I didn't expect any Ivy related bump, but was giving a general picture as to how adcoms might view my application overall before the LSAC boost was taken into account.

I went to great pains to explain why I made mention of my undergraduate college level. It's too bad people can be so insecure - I assume that won't be the case at the schools in question though ;)

Thanks for taking the time to write and congrats on your cycle :)

fish
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby fish » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:13 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:not to be an attention whore, but did you read my post? you seem to be more interested in flaming back 'irrelevant' posters lol


haha i tried to ignore them at first and then tried to be reasonable but it just didn't work.....

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:15 pm

fish wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:i hope my post is a comprehensive one...i just read the whole thread and dont have a horse in this race

OP, if your LSAC GPA is .1-.15 higher than your degree GPA (ivy or not), schools will not really care. HYS might, but only if it falls in one of those murky areas (i.e. median, 25% - so if your LSAC is a 3.8 but degree is 3.7...but even then, they are prob glad to see that LSAC 3.8. the other way around would prob hurt you more). the reason for this is because LSAC is the # they have to report to USNWR...it makes it matter that much more.

but at the same time, the schools also look at your whole transcript (and apparently they are pretty good at it...if you believe what adcomms tell you lol) so they will make separate judgments based on that...if you have a lot of AP credits from HS or took a LOT of community college courses...well that is obvious and may hurt you (though i really doubt JR would bring this up in the HLS interview unless you took a shitton). A .1 discrepancy prob isnt that many 'padding' courses so i really doubt they would care.

now the type of courses you take do matter to some extent, but once again, it is all about trend. having 1-2 basketweaving lvl courses will not hurt you...having 10 will lol. taking 3-4 courses at a community college will not hurt you. taking 10+ prob will. you get the picture.



This is exactly the type of answer I was looking for all along.

And for the record, I asked about major only in response to another post that hinted they might matter, and explicitly said later on that I didn't expect any Ivy related bump, but was giving a general picture as to how adcoms might view my application overall before the LSAC boost was taken into account.

I went to great pains to explain why I made mention of my undergraduate college level. It's too bad people can be so insecure - I assume that won't be the case at the schools in question though ;)

Thanks for taking the time to write and congrats on your cycle :)


It's worth pointing out that this advice may not be correct. History of past applicants has shown that they don't care where the credits came from or what rank the school is. Hell, a full .25 of my Bachelors was from HS/CLEP/DANTES tests. None of the schools cared.

fish
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby fish » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:22 pm

blhoward2 wrote:Dude, a school is a school. Some are better then others sure, but having graduated from there doesn't merit commendation. I know and have worked with people from many backgrounds, including ivies. Many of the ivy grads thought they were entitled because of their school. All of them eventually learned that it didn't mean shit once they actually had a job.

Who do you think you are pissing off? None of us are invested enough to be pissed off.

.......

Also, for the record, I graduated from a shitty online school geared towards the military. While I probably could have gotten into an ivy, I chose to serve my country for 10 years and earn my bachelors/masters while deployed to Iraq. I got in exactly where my numbers said I should. Talking to my fellow Michigan 0Ls, we are all in the same number range whether ivy or not. Nearly everyone in the same band got the same scholarships. I've heard the same from many other schools.

The people I know from ivies who were .1-.2 below where the bottom of the pack is, they are going to lower-ranked schools where they got in.

Edit: The moral is, its all numbers. Schools only care about what they report for their rankings. Soft factors, including your school, are extremely secondary. No school cares if you took extra classes to raise your LSAC GPA, they only care what the final number is.


The entire point of what I've been saying to your ilk is that - get ready for this - I don't care. I don't care what your numbers are, where you went to school, where you've gotten into law school, that you "probably could have gotten into an Ivy," etc etc. All of this is irrelevant to my main question. Imagine my surprise when I wanted to know what the effect of having a discrepancy in GPAs would be at top law schools, given that my application was being seen as at a certain level in terms of school and grades already, and instead, a thousand people come on here and go nuts off-topic.

Also, not to rain on your parade (and I should've already said, thanks for your service), but military service is possibly one of the biggest softs you can have. Softs are secondary for most people, but your case is an outlier. So while it makes sense that Ivy kids with low GPAs got into lower ranked law schools, no, your bachelors/masters from shitty online school geared towards the military with XX GPA is not equal to same XX GPA from an Ivy. However, your XX GPA from said school + amazing softs/background story = XX Ivy GPA. It's borne out by a good number of profiles that military applicants have gotten in way beyond their numbers.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:27 pm

fish wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:Dude, a school is a school. Some are better then others sure, but having graduated from there doesn't merit commendation. I know and have worked with people from many backgrounds, including ivies. Many of the ivy grads thought they were entitled because of their school. All of them eventually learned that it didn't mean shit once they actually had a job.

Who do you think you are pissing off? None of us are invested enough to be pissed off.

.......

Also, for the record, I graduated from a shitty online school geared towards the military. While I probably could have gotten into an ivy, I chose to serve my country for 10 years and earn my bachelors/masters while deployed to Iraq. I got in exactly where my numbers said I should. Talking to my fellow Michigan 0Ls, we are all in the same number range whether ivy or not. Nearly everyone in the same band got the same scholarships. I've heard the same from many other schools.

The people I know from ivies who were .1-.2 below where the bottom of the pack is, they are going to lower-ranked schools where they got in.

Edit: The moral is, its all numbers. Schools only care about what they report for their rankings. Soft factors, including your school, are extremely secondary. No school cares if you took extra classes to raise your LSAC GPA, they only care what the final number is.


The entire point of what I've been saying to your ilk is that - get ready for this - I don't care. I don't care what your numbers are, where you went to school, where you've gotten into law school, that you "probably could have gotten into an Ivy," etc etc. All of this is irrelevant to my main question. Imagine my surprise when I wanted to know what the effect of having a discrepancy in GPAs would be at top law schools, given that my application was being seen as at a certain level in terms of school and grades already, and instead, a thousand people come on here and go nuts off-topic.

Also, not to rain on your parade (and I should've already said, thanks for your service), but military service is possibly one of the biggest softs you can have. Softs are secondary for most people, but your case is an outlier. So while it makes sense that Ivy kids with low GPAs got into lower ranked law schools, no, your bachelors/masters from shitty online school geared towards the military with XX GPA is not equal to same XX GPA from an Ivy. However, your XX GPA from said school + amazing softs/background story = XX Ivy GPA. It's borne out by a good number of profiles that military applicants have gotten in way beyond their numbers.


I agree that someone from my school wouldn't get in anywhere without military service. There is a line at some point. At the top end though, I don't think it is enough to make a big enough difference to be quantifiable. If you read any of the dean interviews on here or other sites, they all say to major in something that interests you and that you can do well in. They don't care about the rigor of the course or the school. So the advice about having too many community college classes and such isn't accurate. HYS are known to care though. They prefer to pick up other ivies. Hence all the references by other people.

I think you may have gotten more helpful posts if your original post was a little more clear. Until I read the whole way through, I didn't know what the hell you were asking. You just came off as a typical ivy entitled brat. Not saying you are...that's just how I read it initially.

After all, the point of the LSDAS GPA is to have a discrepancy. It's too balance the playing field with how schools treat withdrawals and such.

fortissimo
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 am

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby fortissimo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:33 pm

fish wrote:Most people, even non-academic laypeople, will recognize that graduating from an Ivy (assuming on merit and with a reasonable overall performance) is to be commended.


Graduating with what degree though? Most liberal arts degree are extremely, extremely easy to get, from any school.

User avatar
BriaTharen
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby BriaTharen » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:38 pm

fish wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:Dude, a school is a school. Some are better then others sure, but having graduated from there doesn't merit commendation. I know and have worked with people from many backgrounds, including ivies. Many of the ivy grads thought they were entitled because of their school. All of them eventually learned that it didn't mean shit once they actually had a job.

Who do you think you are pissing off? None of us are invested enough to be pissed off.

.......

Also, for the record, I graduated from a shitty online school geared towards the military. While I probably could have gotten into an ivy, I chose to serve my country for 10 years and earn my bachelors/masters while deployed to Iraq. I got in exactly where my numbers said I should. Talking to my fellow Michigan 0Ls, we are all in the same number range whether ivy or not. Nearly everyone in the same band got the same scholarships. I've heard the same from many other schools.

The people I know from ivies who were .1-.2 below where the bottom of the pack is, they are going to lower-ranked schools where they got in.

Edit: The moral is, its all numbers. Schools only care about what they report for their rankings. Soft factors, including your school, are extremely secondary. No school cares if you took extra classes to raise your LSAC GPA, they only care what the final number is.


The entire point of what I've been saying to your ilk is that - get ready for this - I don't care. I don't care what your numbers are, where you went to school, where you've gotten into law school, that you "probably could have gotten into an Ivy," etc etc. All of this is irrelevant to my main question. Imagine my surprise when I wanted to know what the effect of having a discrepancy in GPAs would be at top law schools, given that my application was being seen as at a certain level in terms of school and grades already, and instead, a thousand people come on here and go nuts off-topic.

Also, not to rain on your parade (and I should've already said, thanks for your service), but military service is possibly one of the biggest softs you can have. Softs are secondary for most people, but your case is an outlier. So while it makes sense that Ivy kids with low GPAs got into lower ranked law schools, no, your bachelors/masters from shitty online school geared towards the military with XX GPA is not equal to same XX GPA from an Ivy. However, your XX GPA from said school + amazing softs/background story = XX Ivy GPA. It's borne out by a good number of profiles that military applicants have gotten in way beyond their numbers.


Fish- it is painfully obvious that you have an answer that you want us to give you in mind, and anyone that gives you a different answer (delivered with the sarcasm that these threads are often known for) is labeled by you as "insecure." Your question is whether or not this discrepancy will affect you. As many posters have told you numerous times already, no. HYS may look at it, but it is the LSDAS GPA they care about. Why? Because a lot of people have discrepancies that come from transfer credits, withdrawing from a class, etc, and that GPA is the one they report to USNWR. There is your answer, take it and be done with it.

Second, the reason why I brought up majors is because you brought up your "challenging social sciences curriculum." As DF pointed out, your question was poorly phrased- until you rephrased later, none of us had the right idea about what you are asking. Also, before you go smashing blhoward2's cycle (or as you say, rain on his parade), you may want to listen. Unless the poster identifies him/herself as a member of an admissions staff, none of us have any sort of "in" with admissions and get inside information. We tell you what we have learned/deduced from ours and other's applications.

Calm down, take what we can give you, or bring your questions elsewhere. That's it.

fish
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby fish » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:43 pm

blhoward2 wrote: ... They don't care about the rigor of the course or the school. So the advice about having too many community college classes and such isn't accurate. HYS are known to care though. They prefer to pick up other ivies. Hence all the references by other people.


I still disagree with your first sentence, but okay. I think any school within the top 10, maybe top 20 even, will want to see some sort of reasoning behind why outside classes were taken (hopefully beyond padding). Again, I already recognized HYS would care and wanted to see to what extent - this was why my first post was contextualized in terms of where I went to school and how I had performed already. Clearly, a 3.8+ from an Ivy is different from a 3.8+ from Kalamazoo, all else equal, and will be evaluated accordingly. Other peoples' posts ranted about how being from an Ivy didn't matter, that I shouldn't expect 'special' treatment, that only HYS cared about padding, that certain majors didn't get a boost, etc., without remotely touching on the actual question I asked.


blhoward2 wrote:I think you may have gotten more helpful posts if your original post was a little more clear.


touche.

fish
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby fish » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:43 pm

fortissimo wrote:Graduating with what degree though? Most liberal arts degree are extremely, extremely easy to get, from any school.


non LA

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:46 pm

blhoward2 wrote:
fish wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:i hope my post is a comprehensive one...i just read the whole thread and dont have a horse in this race

OP, if your LSAC GPA is .1-.15 higher than your degree GPA (ivy or not), schools will not really care. HYS might, but only if it falls in one of those murky areas (i.e. median, 25% - so if your LSAC is a 3.8 but degree is 3.7...but even then, they are prob glad to see that LSAC 3.8. the other way around would prob hurt you more). the reason for this is because LSAC is the # they have to report to USNWR...it makes it matter that much more.

but at the same time, the schools also look at your whole transcript (and apparently they are pretty good at it...if you believe what adcomms tell you lol) so they will make separate judgments based on that...if you have a lot of AP credits from HS or took a LOT of community college courses...well that is obvious and may hurt you (though i really doubt JR would bring this up in the HLS interview unless you took a shitton). A .1 discrepancy prob isnt that many 'padding' courses so i really doubt they would care.

now the type of courses you take do matter to some extent, but once again, it is all about trend. having 1-2 basketweaving lvl courses will not hurt you...having 10 will lol. taking 3-4 courses at a community college will not hurt you. taking 10+ prob will. you get the picture.



This is exactly the type of answer I was looking for all along.

And for the record, I asked about major only in response to another post that hinted they might matter, and explicitly said later on that I didn't expect any Ivy related bump, but was giving a general picture as to how adcoms might view my application overall before the LSAC boost was taken into account.

I went to great pains to explain why I made mention of my undergraduate college level. It's too bad people can be so insecure - I assume that won't be the case at the schools in question though ;)

Thanks for taking the time to write and congrats on your cycle :)


It's worth pointing out that this advice may not be correct. History of past applicants has shown that they don't care where the credits came from or what rank the school is. Hell, a full .25 of my Bachelors was from HS/CLEP/DANTES tests. None of the schools cared.


? i never said they cared about the rank of the school. in fact, the unquoted part (but the last part of my post) said how an ivy GPA prob doesnt mean much more than a TTT GPA in most cases.

and the part of them not wanting to see too many easy courses or out-of-undergrad courses on your transcript...i wasnt guessing, thats what multiple adcomms have told me. does it hold true 100% of the time? no, but for the purposes of giving out general advice, it should be taken as correct advice (esp. for the schools OP is interested in)

edit: for full disclosure, i only talked to adcomms at a few specific schools, but they seem to be the ones OP is applying to
Last edited by DoubleChecks on Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fish
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby fish » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:47 pm

haha your first post was a question about major difficulty, which is wholly irrelevant to padding, and your second post....

JessicaTiger wrote:Majors matter, but only a little bit. ie- My 3.2 in engineering from a state university is worth more than your 3.2 in philosophy from an Ivy.

They use LSDAS GPA. Every single other person before that has said this is correct. You and your ivory tower are not going to get special treatment. Done. That's it. If you can't accept what the rules are, don't go to law school. They have a lot of rules there too.


was beyond pathetic....nice attempt at a cover-up though!

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:49 pm

blhoward2 wrote:I agree that someone from my school wouldn't get in anywhere without military service. There is a line at some point. At the top end though, I don't think it is enough to make a big enough difference to be quantifiable. If you read any of the dean interviews on here or other sites, they all say to major in something that interests you and that you can do well in. They don't care about the rigor of the course or the school. So the advice about having too many community college classes and such isn't accurate. HYS are known to care though. They prefer to pick up other ivies. Hence all the references by other people.


the first statement does not necessarily imply the second

JessicaTiger wrote:Also, before you go smashing blhoward2's cycle (or as you say, rain on his parade), you may want to listen.


eh, i dont think his comment about blh's military service being a soft that boosted his law school chances is that off. in fact, from everything ive heard and read, its pretty spot on lol. heck, even blh agreed. i dont think he really smashed blh's cycle in any way lol.
Last edited by DoubleChecks on Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BriaTharen
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby BriaTharen » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:52 pm

fish wrote:haha your first post was a question about major difficulty, which is wholly irrelevant to padding, and your second post....

JessicaTiger wrote:Majors matter, but only a little bit. ie- My 3.2 in engineering from a state university is worth more than your 3.2 in philosophy from an Ivy.

They use LSDAS GPA. Every single other person before that has said this is correct. You and your ivory tower are not going to get special treatment. Done. That's it. If you can't accept what the rules are, don't go to law school. They have a lot of rules there too.


was beyond pathetic....nice attempt at a cover-up though!


LOL, you are funny




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 7 guests