top places - gpa padding

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
romothesavior

Re: top places - gpa padding

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:10 pm

fish wrote:
romothesavior wrote:ITT: OP makes an unnecessary douchey reference to his Ivy undergrad and asks to have his question answered multiple times.

One last time: LSDAS is all that matters. Your degree will not help you much. A 3.8 from a peasant like me will beat your mid-3 range from the ivory tower any day.

You reek of insecurity, get over it. I only mentioned what school I went to because any given GPA from an Ivy is invariably given greater weight than the same GPA from a non-Ivy. Not my rules, just is what it is. You want to complain about it, take it somewhere else - I don't give a damn!

anyone have similar/opposite experience to share like paralegal?

You obviously have no idea how law school admissions works. Numbers are all that matters. Period. A 4.0 in basket weaving at Joe Blow State University will trump a 3.5 in bilology at Harvard or an engineering major at a tech school.

Also, there are PLENTY of non-ives that are just as good if not better than the lower ivies.

As stated above, only a HYSP undergrad degree will give you a bump, and it will be minimal.

fish

Postby fish » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
fish wrote:
romothesavior wrote:ITT: OP makes an unnecessary douchey reference to his Ivy undergrad and asks to have his question answered multiple times.

One last time: LSDAS is all that matters. Your degree will not help you much. A 3.8 from a peasant like me will beat your mid-3 range from the ivory tower any day.

You reek of insecurity, get over it. I only mentioned what school I went to because any given GPA from an Ivy is invariably given greater weight than the same GPA from a non-Ivy, especially at the top law schools. Not my rules, just is what it is. You want to complain about it, take it somewhere else - I don't give a damn!

No not really.

I'm not going to debate this point. For the sake of my post/question, I am holding this as an assumption. If you have a response to my scenario with the given assumption, respond. If you do not, surely there are far more interesting threads for you to browse. Good day.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:15 pm

fish wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
fish wrote:

You reek of insecurity, get over it. I only mentioned what school I went to because any given GPA from an Ivy is invariably given greater weight than the same GPA from a non-Ivy, especially at the top law schools. Not my rules, just is what it is. You want to complain about it, take it somewhere else - I don't give a damn!

No not really.

I'm not going to debate this point. For the sake of my post/question, I am holding this as an assumption. If you have a response to my scenario with the given assumption, respond. If you do not, surely there are far more interesting threads for you to browse. Good day.

Your question in no way hinges on that assumption. It's LSAC.

Then again you are the same troll who tried to start the Ivy debate three hours ago.

fish

Postby fish » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:19 pm

To bring the thread back on topic:

If there is a .1-.15 difference in UGPA and LSDAS GPA, and the core degree is from an Ivy with a major of respectable difficulty, will adcoms at the top law schools object on principle? Will this discrepancy be something that would come up as questionable in say, a JR1, or would it not be an issue as long as the supplementary classes were of respectable caliber as well? Thanks...

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:20 pm

fish wrote:To bring the thread back on topic:

If there is a .1-.15 difference in UGPA and LSDAS GPA, and the core degree is from an Ivy with a major of respectable difficulty, will adcoms at the top law schools object on principle? Will this discrepancy be something that would come up as questionable in say, a JR1, or would it not be an issue as long as the supplementary classes were of respectable caliber as well? Thanks...

What major is this?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:22 pm

How many times do people have to answer this before you GTFA? Are you just not getting the answer you want? They will use your LSDAS GPA. Period. Will they look at your transcript? Maybe. But for the purpose of determining the calibur of your numbers in relation to other applicants, they will use your LSDAS GPA.

fish

Postby fish » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:22 pm

jessicatiger - do you think major would matter in such a decision?

say a rigorous social science (think econ, philosophy) to natural sciences and math in range. not as tough as engineering though! :)

fish

Postby fish » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:24 pm

romothesavior wrote: ... GTFA? ...

Language, my friend, language.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:26 pm

fish wrote:jessicatiger - do you think major would matter in such a decision?

say a rigorous social science (think econ, philosophy) to natural sciences and math in range. not as tough as engineering though! :)

Majors matter, but only a little bit. ie- My 3.2 in engineering from a state university is worth more than your 3.2 in philosophy from an Ivy.

They use LSDAS GPA. Every single other person before that has said this is correct. You and your ivory tower are not going to get special treatment. Done. That's it. If you can't accept what the rules are, don't go to law school. They have a lot of rules there too.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:26 pm

Philosophy is not a rigorous social science. HTH

(PS. Im a philospohy major)

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:27 pm

romothesavior wrote:

There is no rigorous social study.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

There is no rigorous social study.

TITCR

fish

Postby fish » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:30 pm

romothesavior wrote:

How many times do people have to answer this before you GTFA? Are you just not getting the answer you want? They will use your LSDAS GPA. Period. Will they look at your transcript? Maybe. But for the purpose of determining the [strike]calibur[/strike] caliber of your numbers in relation to other applicants, they will use your LSDAS GPA.

Fixed.

Also, none of your ad hominems actually answer my questions.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:31 pm

fish wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

How many times do people have to answer this before you GTFA? Are you just not getting the answer you want? They will use your LSDAS GPA. Period. Will they look at your transcript? Maybe. But for the purpose of determining the [strike]calibur[/strike] caliber of your numbers in relation to other applicants, they will use your LSDAS GPA.

Fixed.

Also, none of your ad hominems actually answer my questions.

Ouch. Burned. A spelling error.

The bolded answers your question, as do the countless other posters who have said the same thing.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:33 pm

Your "GPA padding" title suggests that your LSDAS GPA is 0.1-0.15 higher than your (Ivy) degree GPA. In almost all cases, it should make no difference. However, Chicago does ask you to put down your degree GPA on their application, so perhaps they do consider that as well.

JWicker10

Postby JWicker10 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:35 pm

This question has been answered like 20 times. Your LSDAS GPA is what matters.

/Thread

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:39 pm

JWicker10 wrote:This question has been answered like 20 times. Your LSDAS GPA is what matters.

/Thread

Can someone say legacy?

fish

Postby fish » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:40 pm

This thread is full of insecure morons, so I'm going to leave now. Jessicatiger, I don't know where you or anyone else got the impression that I was asking for special treatment - the original question has nothing to do with Ivy vs. non-Ivy. Doesn't bode too well for your LSATs!

I'm going to repost my questions below. If anyone actually has a reasoned, coherent response, or empirical info, please PM me. Thanks!

fish

Postby fish » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:42 pm

im_blue wrote:Your "GPA padding" title suggests that your LSDAS GPA is 0.1-0.15 higher than your (Ivy) degree GPA. In almost all cases, it should make no difference. However, Chicago does ask you to put down your degree GPA on their application, so perhaps they do consider that as well.

This is very helpful, thanks.

fish

Postby fish » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:43 pm

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:49 pm

fish wrote:This thread is full of insecure morons, so I'm going to leave now.

You did a horrible job at communicating your question. You never mentioned gpa padding in your actually question, only the title.

What you should have asked:

If I have a lower gpa from an Ivy, and a higher LSAC gpa because I pad my gpa at another institution, will schools care?

Instead you wrote what you did, and nobody figured out what you meant.

The answer is the top schools (HYS) probably will care if you obviously pad your GPA. But you being at an ivy makes no difference. They won't like students are crappy colleges doing it either.

However, if you take some summer courses at your local state school, they won't view it as GPA padding unless the courses are obviously stupid. But be careful, depending on the school the courses aren't going to be that much easier, if easier at all. Ivy schools gives out a ton of A's per class. You are probably better off padding your GPA at your ivy. It looks less suspicious, and will be just as easy.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:52 pm

fish wrote:

Well everyone else has answered the question for you but...

No.

I had a 3.6 UGPA from HYP, but a 3.7 LSDAS GPA. No principled objections from Harvard or anywhere else. And my "padding" came from community college classes I took as a middle/high schooler.

jack duluoz

Postby jack duluoz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:54 pm

paralegal wrote:The LSDAS GPA is primarily the number given the greatest weight. However, the academic transcript is looked at by the admissions committee.

There are comments made on the TLS board that unless your "Ivy" GPA isn't from YHP - it doesn't matter. I have personal experience with this, and I have "not" found this to be true at all. I have an UG degree from an Ivy other than (HYP) and in this cycle, my Ivy degree played a hugely valuable part in my success. On many of the top law schools web sites, Berkeley for one, they list the undergraduate schools most strongly represented in their acceptance pool, and the Ivies are listed (not just YHP) besides Stanford, etc.

It's a trenemdous honor to have an undergraduate degree from one of the Ivies.

Lol. hey, whatever u have to tell yourself.

fish

Postby fish » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:57 pm

Unemployed wrote:Well everyone else has answered the question for you but...

No.

I had a 3.6 UGPA from HYP, but a 3.7 LSDAS GPA. No principled objections from Harvard or anywhere else. And my "padding" came from community college classes I took as a middle/high schooler.

Do you think this made a difference in your cycle - ie you were accepted at places where, based on their median LSAT/GPA ranges, it seems like they must have taken your GPA to be 3.7 rather than 3.6, or perhaps rejected from such places that might have taken you to be a 3.6 rather than a 3.7?

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:04 pm

fish wrote:
Unemployed wrote:Well everyone else has answered the question for you but...

No.

Do you think this made a difference in your cycle - ie you were accepted at places where, based on their median LSAT/GPA ranges, it seems like they must have taken your GPA to be 3.7 rather than 3.6, or perhaps rejected from such places that might have taken you to be a 3.6 rather than a 3.7?

Not sure. Went WL-in at HLS with two LSATs (171/177). I don't think I would have gotten in with a 3.6. But then again, I was waitlisted by UVA, GW, and Emory and rejected by Stanford.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”