So...who's planning a wedding and going to law school? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
as stars burn

Silver

So...who's planning a wedding and going to law school?

Post by as stars burn » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:06 am

Just curious to see how many people are as crazy as me.

I'm getting married in February 2011, and I've been running with my head cut off trying to get everything done before school starts. I'm doing really well actually on top of working about 50+ hours a week right now. Our wedding is fairly small and intimate so I'm not going over the top. My plan is to be 95% done planning before school starts, that way I will only have to take care of small details and fly back for the wedding the day before...totally do-able by the way. :D

P.S. We've saved for a couple years for this wedding + law school so financially...it's been do-able as well.

BizOwner

New

Re: So...who's planning a wedding and going to law school?

Post by BizOwner » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:21 am

Your not alone. I'll be getting married just prior to my 1L and hope to start a family during law school.

Family first. Law school second

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:36 am

BizOwner wrote:Your not alone. I'll be getting married just prior to my 1L and hope to start a family during law school.

+1 awesome!

I'll be in the middle of law school when I get married which scares me a bit, but excited anyway :)

BizOwner

New

Post by BizOwner » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:41 pm

Congrats and good luck!

(we may need it :wink: )

audrey hepburn

New

Post by audrey hepburn » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:45 pm

are you planning to take a honeymoon after the semester will end or during? and are you also planning to have a baby during school?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

egrandio

New

Post by egrandio » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:07 pm

Getting married right before starting 1L. Honeymoon will be deferred about a year.. hehe

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:53 pm

audrey hepburn wrote:are you planning to take a honeymoon after the semester will end or during? and are you also planning to have a baby during school?
No honeymoon...probably until after I graduate from law school haha...and definitely no kids for another 5-6 years.

OmbreGracieuse

Bronze

Post by OmbreGracieuse » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:38 pm

Not law school, but I got married during the middle of the school year during my UG-- that was completely doable.

Nice drawn picture, btw. :)

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:09 am

Trying to plan a wedding was the biggest pain in the ass I've ever had.

We finally said "screw it" and went off and had a dream wedding that was fantastic, up in the mountains, planned by someone else.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:29 am

i was supposed to be getting married this december (in the middle of 1L during break) but we are forced to postpone till the summer.

I actually was aiming to get everything done with before school started so I could focus on my work. We had put the deposit down on the hall and everything. But I guess summer is better anyway--can get through all of 1L without having to be considerate or care about anyone but me and my grades :mrgreen:

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:16 am

OmbreGracieuse wrote:Not law school, but I got married during the middle of the school year during my UG-- that was completely doable.

Nice drawn picture, btw. :)
Thanks! It's Kurt Halsey - http://www.kurthalsey.com. I'm a huge fan of his artwork.

@ kalvano -- tell me about it. It has been a pain in the ass, but it's getting there.

@ Goosey -- we kind of blindly picked Feb. 27, 2011 as our wedding date. I figure it will be close enough to spring break but far enough away that finals yet will still be a good 2.5 months away. Plus, we're flying back right after the wedding (ours is on a sunday morning).

Isha Rin

New

Post by Isha Rin » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:20 am

Me too! planning for August 2011, I wish I could have it this winter, but everyone has forewarned me that spells disaster and stress. so summer right before 2L it is!

how's the planning going for everyone?

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:38 am

Getting married in July ---> 10 day honeymoon -----> Aug 1, move 1000+ miles to law school

I expect a lot of stress in my future. :shock:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ausoccer19

New

Post by ausoccer19 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:05 am

Getting married next month, and fiance gets commissioned into the Navy two weeks prior. We'll be moving to Virginia the week after the wedding and have no clue when she will have time for a honeymoon (being the nature of military duty). So yeah, while my planning wasn't during law school, it was during sr. year of undergrad during applications/thesis/other ridiculous-ness associated with senior year. It's been extremely stressful, especially because I'm in Ohio and SO is in Boston, so that has definately been to our disadvantage. Ha, and my mother is the primary wedding planner/decorator so I get to stuck in the middle all the time. So happy things are coming to a close, but it will all be worth it in the end.
Last edited by ausoccer19 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mrs. Jack Donaghy

New

Post by Mrs. Jack Donaghy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:11 am

Wow, I loved reading this. Congratulations to all! of you! I'm excited for you all. :D

Chichaca

Bronze

Post by Chichaca » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:15 am

I'm a maid of honor this summer, and can I just say, based on this experience, I am never, ever, ever having a wedding of my own. SOO much work.

ellewoods110

Bronze

Post by ellewoods110 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:35 am

I'm getting married in September of 2011 right before my 2L starts... I am hoping that I can do major planning this summer and then the last-minute type stuff next summer and not really have to worry about anything but getting my dress during 1L... we'll see how that pans out!

Good luck to all of you!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ausoccer19

New

Post by ausoccer19 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:49 am

Lol I will say though, registering is pretty fun, at least for the cool stuff. I don't give a damn what our place settings and stuff looks like, but TV's, board games, stuff like that was entertaining. And it was hilarious that the week after we registered, I saw that Miller Lite wedding registry commercial where the groom keeps scanning cases of Miller everytime the girl looks away, and the wedding comes and they just have a huge pile of beer....awesome!

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:19 am

ausoccer19 wrote:Lol I will say though, registering is pretty fun, at least for the cool stuff. I don't give a damn what our place settings and stuff looks like, but TV's, board games, stuff like that was entertaining. And it was hilarious that the week after we registered, I saw that Miller Lite wedding registry commercial where the groom keeps scanning cases of Miller everytime the girl looks away, and the wedding comes and they just have a huge pile of beer....awesome!
all i registered for was an xbox360..... the fiance did everything else. 8)

ausoccer19

New

Post by ausoccer19 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:22 am

Jealous...but yeah I made sure that a Wii, PS3, two or three TV's, blu-ray, all that good stuff was covered. She picked out all the other stuff, but insisted I come along because "It's your house too." I just smiled and said "whatever you want babe, so long as I get my entertainment stuff too." Seemed like a good compromise to me. And we've already agreed that even if no one gets us one of the gaming systems, I get to use wedding money on one. Fortunately, she want's a Wii really badly as well and will actually sit down and play games

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:28 am

Meh
Last edited by Burger in a can on Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lonestar

New

Post by lonestar » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:29 am

I think I can top that.

I get married on August 21, 2010. 2 days before school starts, and right now my best acceptance is 2000 miles from home/the wedding venue.

ausoccer19

New

Post by ausoccer19 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:34 am

That is truly impressive, yet unfortunate. I'm sure you will make things work though. Good luck with everything.

Jackie O

Bronze

Post by Jackie O » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:34 am

starting to plan the wedding - thinking the summer after 2L might be a good time

sure hope this MRS degree plan works out :|

congrats everyone

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:38 am

BizOwner wrote:Your not alone. I'll be getting married just prior to my 1L and hope to start a family during law school.

-1. Law school first. Career second. Family third

I'm not planning on getting married until I'm well past 30. Law school and working are both hard enough without a screaming baby in tow.

Congrats though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”