Work from home?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Confused&Pissed

Work from home?

Postby Confused&Pissed » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:03 am

What kinds of law are most conducive to working part-time from home? or most family friendly? I know big law is out, but what about copyright law? Anyone have any ideas/reference?

Sangiovese

Re: Work from home?

Postby Sangiovese » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:41 pm

Confused&Pissed wrote:What kinds of law are most conducive to working part-time from home? or most family friendly? I know big law is out, but what about copyright law? Anyone have any ideas/reference?

My brother-in-law does IP work from home (mostly patents, but I believe he does some limited copyright/trademark stuff as well for his long term clients.). He also has an established client base, part of which came from his time working at a big firm. Breaking into the IP field and building a client base may be a difficult path if you want to do that kind of work straight out of school. After all... if you have a significant amount of cash that ultimately depends on your copyright/trademark/patent protection, who are you going to trust with it? Some guy straight out of school with little/no experience, or a firm?

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:23 pm

A lot of attorneys that make wills and such can work from home.

Confused&Pissed

Postby Confused&Pissed » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:43 pm

Thanks for responding

DavidYurman85

Postby DavidYurman85 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:24 am

my girlfriend's sister is an attorney for a non-profit in dc and she works from home about 3 days a week. telecommuting is pretty popular in the dmv area because most people don't actually live in the district and commuting can become awful b/c of traffic. certain fed gov jobs allow you to commute or log in at remote office closer to home.

HBK

Postby HBK » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:34 am

I know a guy who ran for judge just because of the hours (9-4 a couple days a week). He won too.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”