Reapply for HYSC? Advice Appreciated

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
$1.99

Reapply for HYSC? Advice Appreciated

Postby $1.99 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:40 am

hey guys, i was wondering if you would be so kind as to give me some input.

i applied this cycle with a 171/3.88 in november and ended up with the following results for HYSC:

YLS, SLS: Rejected
HLS, CLS: Waitlisted/Reserved

i got into a couple other t14s such as nyu and chicago but i am really set on one of those four schools. should i just suck it up and attend nyu/chicago or would it be worth it to retake the lsat and reapply next cycle?

also, what score would i need to have a good shot at HLS considering my retake? thanks a lot.

ConMan345

Re: Reapply for HYSC? Advice Appreciated

Postby ConMan345 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:42 am

What would you do for the next year instead?

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:45 am

i have a small business i run so i would probably focus on that and keep volunteering at a tutoring institute while just relaxing as i am burned out from my undergraduate studies by playing video games, vacationing, working out, and reading tons of novels.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:46 am

[omitted stupidity]

If you can get 175+, by all means... You are probably Harvard safe.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:47 am

Sounds like your cycle went as expected: in where you met the median LSAT and out where you didn't. Also, your numbers were good enough for S, but apparently not your softs, so Y/S are unlikely next year. So I would retake and reapply only for a good shot at Harvard, for which you would need a 174-175. Otherwise, suck it up and go to Chicago/NYU.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:51 am

If I were you, I'd just ask myself: would I be happy at NYU/Chicago/wherever? Would I always think--god, I wish I got into HLS or, god I'm better than this (just an example)? Hopefully you know yourself well enough to imagine how you'd feel at a school out of the top 4. You say you're "really set" on those schools--what does that mean? Would you be sulking the whole time?

(ok, way too many questions, but you get my point lol)

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:54 am

It depends on what your ultimate career objectives are. If you want to go into NYC big law, I would just go ahead and go to NYU. Your odds at NYC big law wouldn't be improved enough at HYSC to justify waiting a year, I feel. If you want academia you may as well go to Chicago, I wouldn't want to wait another year to just have a shot at YHS when I have one of the best options available for academia in front of me.

I guess it all depends on your situation. But if I were you I'd take Chicago or NYU and not look back. But if you don't think you'd ever be able to be happy at either of those schools, maybe you should wait a year.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:05 am

So considering you have something to do if you take a year off, this really boils down to one question. You basically need to boost your LSAT score by at least two points to be comfortable. Can you do that?

If you're confident you can, take a year off and chance it. If not, however, you're probably going to end up with the exact same result (maybe into CLS).

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:12 am

Just out of curiosity, would a retake and an improvement on the June test help with getting off a WL at CLS and Harvard? I know it helps at lower ranked schools, but I'm not sure about the elites. Would scoring 175 on this June's test help you get in off the waitlist and allow you to attend this fall?

Another question: Why are you so intent on these four schools? Chicago is going to offer you fantastic opportunities. The other four schools may allow you to achieve these opportunities a little easier, but going to Chicago will not close any doors for your legal career. Prestigious clerkships, biglaw, top notch PI, etc. will still all be on the table at Chicago, and the odds of achieving them will not be significantly less.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:41 am

i will be honest, i am a prestige whore and have deep self esteem issues, i feel like i am inferior because i didn't hit the prestigious ivy league status this cycle

byunbee

Postby byunbee » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:42 am

$1.99 wrote:i will be honest, i am a prestige whore and have deep self esteem issues, i feel like i am inferior because i didn't hit the prestigious ivy league status this cycle

You might be on to something there...

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:56 am

$1.99 wrote:i will be honest, i am a prestige whore and have deep self esteem issues, i feel like i am inferior because i didn't hit the prestigious ivy league status this cycle

Most honest post i've ever read on TLS :wink:

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:03 am

You could always go to Penn or Cornell. Or UVA - that's a public Ivy.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:06 am

i want a PRESTIGIOUS ivy league school, not a sidekick ivy league school, i would only go to wharton for upenn or cornell to become the next actor for andy on the office.

CCN

Postby CCN » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:11 am

Judging from ur posts in the berkeley thread ur terribly petty. U will fail at life no matter where u go. Mark my words, loser.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:15 am

$1.99 wrote:i want a PRESTIGIOUS ivy league school, not a sidekick ivy league school, i would only go to wharton for upenn or cornell to become the next actor for andy on the office.

Then take Columbia off your list.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:16 am

lol you are retarded my feeble fellow TLS poster, i was trolling like i usually do in those type of threads. i guess you are still mad that i made fun of your screen name a week ago. i didn't mean to hurt your feelings tough guy

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:58 am

$1.99 wrote:i want a PRESTIGIOUS ivy league school, not a sidekick ivy league school, i would only go to wharton for upenn or cornell to become the next actor for andy on the office.

Stanford isn't an Ivy. Cross it off.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:15 am

APNS wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Stanford isn't an Ivy. Cross it off.

its also not prestigious

I saw that. Harvard is TCR in this situation.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:19 am

despite me trolling stanford endlessly to try to bug you crackberry, i will admit i consider it right up there with H and Y since i am actually being serious about this thread lol

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:32 am

$1.99 wrote:despite me trolling stanford endlessly to try to bug you crackberry, i will admit i consider it right up there with H and Y since i am actually being serious about this thread lol

--ImageRemoved--

CCN

Postby CCN » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:39 am

$1.99 wrote:lol you are retarded my feeble fellow TLS poster, i was trolling like i usually do in those type of threads. i guess you are still mad that i made fun of your screen name a week ago. i didn't mean to hurt your feelings tough guy

i'm pretty sure we'll still smell virgin on your breath no matter where you go to school. :idea:

soundgardener

Postby soundgardener » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:32 pm

I would just take NYU/Chi now unless you really want Columbia. Here's the thing, your numbers are good enough already for Y and S. However, they seem to want outstanding softs along with the numbers. Your results this cycle would indicate that you do not meet this criterion (few do), so a higher LSAT is not really going to help you. As far as H goes, they seem to dislike multiple LSAT's. I've seen people on here and LSN with your GPA and all the way up to 180 be WL'd or rejected seemingly only because of multiple LSAT's. This leaves you with Columbia, and I think you would get in there if you bumped your LSAT up a few points. So if it's really that important to you, then go for it, but I wouldn't count on HYS even if you get a 180 on the retake.

kinch

Postby kinch » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:38 pm

Just don't come to NYU.

facetious

Postby facetious » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:42 pm

kinch wrote:Just don't come to NYU.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”