Rutgers Newark or University of Miami

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Rutgers-Newark PT or Miami FT

Miami
39%
Rutgers-Newark
61%

Total votes: 33

Jersey13

Rutgers Newark or University of Miami

Postby Jersey13 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:22 am

Heres the deal I could go to Rutgers Newark- In state Sticker Part Time at Night and work at my current job at Prudential in the day or pay sticker at Miami and go fulltime. If I go to Rutgers Newark, I still get to keep my high paying finance job and classes would be basically across the street at night, Miami is Miami though, help?

Columbia Law

Re: Rutgers Newark or University of Miami

Postby Columbia Law » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:27 am

Go to Miami and enjoy the sun.

evanmd

Postby evanmd » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:41 am

Miami, no question.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:42 am

Jersey13 wrote:Heres the deal I could go to Rutgers Newark- In state Sticker Part Time at Night and work at my current job at Prudential in the day or pay sticker at Miami and go fulltime. If I go to Rutgers Newark, I still get to keep my high paying finance job and classes would be basically across the street at night, Miami is Miami though, help?

Where do you want to practice?

Jersey13

Postby Jersey13 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:47 am

I am not sure where I want to practice to be honest, just near a major city would be fine. So I guess what would be the best career move keep my job and go to rutgers part time or going in tons of debt move to miami and enjoy the sun?

Jersey13

Postby Jersey13 » Sun May 02, 2010 7:49 pm

Can anyone else chime in that knows alot about either school? Im realling wavering on which is the right decision. Someone talk some sense into me.

Mvplife21

Postby Mvplife21 » Sun May 02, 2010 8:05 pm

I think most on this board would agree, Miami is one of the more overrated law schools and rutgers is one of the more underrated law schools. Rutgers is alot cheaper and you get to keep your job during the day, I think its a win-win in my opinion.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon May 03, 2010 9:54 am

Mvplife21 wrote:I think most on this board would agree, Miami is one of the more overrated law schools and rutgers is one of the more underrated law schools. Rutgers is alot cheaper and you get to keep your job during the day, I think its a win-win in my opinion.

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Mon May 03, 2010 10:08 am

Have to agree about both RU's being significantly underrated. After not knowing much about Rutgers Newark, it has great placement in Jersey and NYC, a relatively new building, and a great faculty for a cheap sticker price.

Grad09

Postby Grad09 » Mon May 03, 2010 10:31 am

Jersey13 wrote:I am not sure where I want to practice to be honest, just near a major city would be fine. So I guess what would be the best career move keep my job and go to rutgers part time or going in tons of debt move to miami and enjoy the sun?

From someone who is familiar with both places, I think you need to consider what you want to do after you graduate and where you want to live to give you the best interest.

If you want to do corp/business/finance law or anything related [small or midsize/in-house, non-biglaw], stay at Rutgers Newark. In-state tuition is cheap at RU and you can do some damage to your tuition by keeping your job. The downside, of course, is that a full time job and pt law school means your life will be shitty for the next four years. Buckle down and fight through it.

If you are interested in PI/non-profit/etc. then go to Miami. Enjoy the sun and palm trees and work hard to secure a job in Miami during law school. Then, LRAP your debt.

If you are Biglaw or bust, then go to Miami. They place unusually well for a school of its rank. Of course, if you miss the biglaw train, you've got some very inconvenient loan payments in the near future. But, overall, Miami offers solid regional job prospects.

Good luck

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Mon May 03, 2010 12:01 pm

Do you want to work hard and not go into a lot of debt? Choose RU and keep your job..

Do you want the more traditional law school experience with a lot of debt after graduation? Choose Miami..

Also, I agree that you should really decide where you want to live for the rest of your life, and choose accordingly..

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Mon May 03, 2010 12:45 pm

Grad09 wrote:
From someone who is familiar with both places, I think you need to consider what you want to do after you graduate and where you want to live to give you the best interest.

If you want to do corp/business/finance law or anything related [small or midsize/in-house, non-biglaw], stay at Rutgers Newark. In-state tuition is cheap at RU and you can do some damage to your tuition by keeping your job. The downside, of course, is that a full time job and pt law school means your life will be shitty for the next four years. Buckle down and fight through it.

If you are interested in PI/non-profit/etc. then go to Miami. Enjoy the sun and palm trees and work hard to secure a job in Miami during law school. Then, LRAP your debt.

If you are Biglaw or bust, then go to Miami. They place unusually well for a school of its rank. Of course, if you miss the biglaw train, you've got some very inconvenient loan payments in the near future. But, overall, Miami offers solid regional job prospects.

Good luck

THIS

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Mon May 03, 2010 1:40 pm

Miami and Jersey are wildly different locales. You don't need us to tell you which one you prefer. Are you familiar with Miami and sure you want to live there after law school?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”