Admitted. Shall I go?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
biglll

Admitted. Shall I go?

Postby biglll » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:42 pm

I really need your advice, TLS!

I am a foreign student, 24, and I went to a foreign undergrad (Russia). I have been admitted to a couple of T20 law schools and awarded some tiny schollies.

I don’t want to become a US lawyer, nor do I want to stay in the US upon graduation. What I’d love to do is to join a government practice in a firm like McKinsey/BCG/Bain in my country, and at some point shift to the national gov-t (I know there’re good ties). I didn’t follow a traditional MBA route because, first, I don’t have sufficient work experience and job prospects are bad to start gaining it, second, my aspiration is public service, not business.

What scares me in law school:
1. 180 K

10. My English is, well, not perfect, which may further complicate my life
11. 1L classes, which have no value if you don’t want to stay in the US

I know that general convention here is that you don’t want go to law school if don’t want to become a lawyer. Yet there are small niches. Holding an advanced US degree is a must to join a US consulting firm in my country, and they claim they admit lawyers.

So, do you think going to law school to return to my country is a feasible idea? Does going to law school to end up in a consulting firm make sense? If no, what will you advise instead?
Last edited by biglll on Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

presh

Re: Admitted. Shall I go?

Postby presh » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:02 pm

Last edited by presh on Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

biglll

Postby biglll » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:15 pm

presh wrote:Question: if you only received small scholarships, will you be able to borrow enough to even attend? US federal loans are unavailable to foreign students.

Thanks for your advice!

You're right--this is a huge trouble. I'm just assuming here that I will. I have now to decide in general whether or not it's right for me to go.

presh wrote:Also, if ending up at that consulting firm is what you want, it sounds like a Masters in Public Policy might work better (and not take as long). Can you get more information on the types of advanced degrees the companies you are looking at usually look for? "They claim they admit lawyers" is troubling.

They love lawyers from T6 here in the US, and possibly accept some from T20. But I think standards are a little lower for their offices abroad.

As for the MPP/MPA, it'll take the same time since I will spend a year applying. But it will impose less debt, which is good. Any other considerations?

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:00 am

Have you considered an MBA? It feeds much more directly into consulting, takes only 2 years and will cost you less than law school. It's also one of the least academically vigorous graduate degrees.

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:34 am

Bain isn't a consulting group.

If you absolutely want the law degree, get whatever degree that allows you to practice law in your country, then come to America for an LLM. But it sounds like you'd be better off pursuing some other field, especially if your English isn't top notch. (Your English seems really good, but so much in law depends on very specific interpretation of convoluted, often archaic, English grammar and terminology.)

biglll

Postby biglll » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:08 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:Have you considered an MBA? It feeds much more directly into consulting, takes only 2 years and will cost you less than law school. It's also one of the least academically vigorous graduate degrees.

Yeah--some thoughts in the original post. Also, the "academic rigor" of MBA programs is more a disadvantage for me. I've chatted with some MBAs from Yale and it looks like this whole thing is more about networking/looking for an internship/looking for a job, than studying.

Btw, I love to learn and digging into ancient texts in a foreign language which is English for me looks kinda attractive. :roll:

biglll

Postby biglll » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:10 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:Bain isn't a consulting group.

Well, it is :D

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=bain

adameus

Postby adameus » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:17 pm

I think your plan is ok, you just need to be sure to have a backup plan if you aren't able to get a prestigious consulting job in your home country. Would you be willing to practice law in the U.S.? Is there a way to transfer your U.S. law degree so that you can practice law in your home country? Just don't commit yourself to 3 years in the U.S. and a load of debt with your only plan being to get a top consulting job, because it could easily not happen.

biglll

Postby biglll » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:32 pm

adameus wrote:I think your plan is ok, you just need to be sure to have a backup plan if you aren't able to get a prestigious consulting job in your home country. Would you be willing to practice law in the U.S.? Is there a way to transfer your U.S. law degree so that you can practice law in your home country? Just don't commit yourself to 3 years in the U.S. and a load of debt with your only plan being to get a top consulting job, because it could easily not happen.

You're looking at the very point!
Frankly, I don't see any good backup options for this plan. I won't be happy as a lawyer in the US or in my country. The only other thing which looks attractive is going to academia, but that means having no money to repay debt.

cheesus

Postby cheesus » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:43 pm

biglll wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:Bain isn't a consulting group.

Well, it is :D

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=bain

:)

adameus

Postby adameus » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:22 pm

biglll wrote:
adameus wrote:I think your plan is ok, you just need to be sure to have a backup plan if you aren't able to get a prestigious consulting job in your home country. Would you be willing to practice law in the U.S.? Is there a way to transfer your U.S. law degree so that you can practice law in your home country? Just don't commit yourself to 3 years in the U.S. and a load of debt with your only plan being to get a top consulting job, because it could easily not happen.

You're looking at the very point!
Frankly, I don't see any good backup options for this plan. I won't be happy as a lawyer in the US or in my country. The only other thing which looks attractive is going to academia, but that means having no money to repay debt.

Then do something else!

biglll

Postby biglll » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:14 pm

C'mon people, any other thoughts?!

dramaticpaws

Postby dramaticpaws » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:33 am

In Soviet Russia, law break you! :mrgreen:

yeff

Postby yeff » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:44 am

biglll wrote:C'mon people, any other thoughts?!

I'd say... don't go to law school if you already know you won't be happy as a lawyer. Full stop.

But you've already heard this advice and rejected it, so...what do you want?

You need to further investigate the hiring practices of the consulting firms you hope to work for.

futurelawyer413

Postby futurelawyer413 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:57 am

biglll wrote:I don’t want to become a US lawyer, nor do I want to stay in the US upon graduation.

biglll wrote:You're looking at the very point!

Seems to me, why go to the US for law school? Law school in the US deals with a good portion of US law and practices, though I'm sure many foreign students attend to practice international law or return back to their home country. Maybe try a law school in Europe? Also, you said you won't be happy in "my country", which I assume is Russia? If that's the case, then why would you want to work for McKinsey/B/B in Russia?

Just my 2 cents!

biglll

Postby biglll » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:01 am

futurelawyer413 wrote:Also, you said you won't be happy in "my country", which I assume is Russia? If that's the case, then why would you want to work for McKinsey/B/B in Russia?

Just my 2 cents!

I meant--as a laywer :D

adameus

Postby adameus » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:19 pm

so you're looking at dropping 200K to spend 3 years in a foreign country and have a roundabout shot at getting what seems to be the only type of job you are willing to take. Come up with a backup plan!!!!!! It seems like your ultimate goal is to get into government. I am pretty sure there are other ways into government than working with a top end management consulting firm. figure out what these ways are and do a degree that will also give you a shot at that type of work. I'm guessing one of these ways into government is being a lawyer, so maybe you should consider that....

I'm not sure how old you are, but you need to sit down and figure some shit out in your life. You assume a lot about jobs I'm guessing you have never worked in. Somehow you know you will just love working at a top end consulting firm, but you will hate being a lawyer. But you want to spend 200K to get an education that is specifically training you to be a lawyer...

cranberry

Postby cranberry » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:32 pm

why don't you try for an MA in economics, statistics, public policy, public service, or poli sci? most "name" ivies have a variety of grad programs in these fields. also look at the nyu wagner school; they have a lot of different degree offerings for public service: http://wagner.nyu.edu/

biglll

Postby biglll » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:25 pm

adameus wrote: I'm guessing one of these ways into government is being a lawyer, so maybe you should consider that....

That's a good idea and a possible alternative--thanks for that.

adameus wrote:I'm not sure how old you are, but you need to sit down and figure some shit out in your life. You assume a lot about jobs I'm guessing you have never worked in. Somehow you know you will just love working at a top end consulting firm, but you will hate being a lawyer. But you want to spend 200K to get an education that is specifically training you to be a lawyer...

In fact I worked for a smaller consultancy in Msk for 2 years. An associate at a top cons. firm has a lot to work with people while a lawyer has a lot to work with docs (I guess:)

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:42 pm

Repeat after me: MBA. MBA. MBA.

Here's the thing: consultants work exclusively on the business side or almost exclusively, and lawyers work almost exclusively on the legal side. If a consultant could do a lawyer's job, there would be no law firms. Knowledge of the other side in either are won't be that much of a help to you (well it certainly won't help you enough to go out and take on $200k in debt). Go to a US law school if and only if you're fairly sure you want to be a lawyer in the US or in Russia (but even in Russia you'll probably be practicing American law).

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:12 pm

This screams "bad idea" to me. Only go to law school 1) if you want to be a laywer or 2) if you're independently wealthy, won't have any debt, and have time to waste. (Number 2 is unlikely, but hey, if that's the case do whatever you want in life. Don't listen to me.) Do not go to law school otherwise. This is especially true for foreign students who don't qualify for the financial assistance available to American citizens (i.e. PSLF, IBR, federal loans, etc...).

This is too big of a financial committment to take so lightly. If you think an advanced degree from a US institution would help your career (and I'm not saying it won't), why not consider a masters like others have suggested? I think you need to see that there are a variety of options open to you. However, law school in your described personal and financial circumstances, should not be one you consider.

biglll

Postby biglll » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:01 pm

Thanks everyone for the input :)

A tough choice is ahead, and I am still leaning towards a law school. It gives an exclusive backup option of being a lawyer, whereas MAs don't; and MBA is not for me anyway.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:05 pm

biglll wrote:It gives an exclusive backup option of being a lawyer, whereas MAs don't; and MBA is not for me anyway.

But you've said you have no intention of practicing law(!). I just don't understand how this is a good life decision if you're not independently wealthy. This boggles my mind.

Bert

Postby Bert » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:09 pm

Going out on a limb and telling OP what he wants to hear: Yes, attending a US law school is the right choice for you.

presh

Postby presh » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:22 pm

Last edited by presh on Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”