Is modeling a good soft?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
deets

Is modeling a good soft?

Postby deets » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:02 pm

I've been reading that the more unique a soft the better it is. So, would modeling be a good soft? I can't imagine that many prospective lawyers have modeled.

Nicholasnickynic

Re: Is modeling a good soft?

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:03 pm

deets wrote:I've been reading that the more unique a soft the better it is. So, would modeling be a good soft? I can't imagine that many prospective lawyers have modeled.

If the adcomms are ugly it might make them bitter? :)

Jackie O

Postby Jackie O » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:04 pm

a/s/l?

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:08 pm

TTIWWP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:09 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:TTIWWP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:11 pm

If you did it professionally, sure. Adcoms love touting the strange professions of incoming classes (skydiver, dancer, etc.), and being good looking is never a bad thing in the business/legal world.

However, if it's something like you modeled for a campus organization's calendar or something, might not be worth it.

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:12 pm

Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rando

Postby rando » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:22 pm

Don't think it will get you far in admissions but it will go a long way in legal hiring

nyknicks

Postby nyknicks » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:27 pm

I did some modeling over my summers in UG. I did Italian Vogue last summer. Besides that I was on some walls in American Eagle stores, but its not like I was known in the industry or anything. My prelaw advisor warned me against even putting this on my resume because she said models are percieved as dumb. I know it is not true in my case, but I did not think it was worth the risk. So short answer: No, it is not a good soft.

I will say this, I am hoping my modeling career is a good soft with the ladies in law school. I feel as though most law school guys won't be as good looking as me, and even if they are, once I drop that I am a model I always get hotter chicks. Something about being a model, and having a portfolio just makes you look better to the ladies.

My suggestion is this: Do not use it on your resume, but DO bring your portfolios to ASWs and definitely to orientation. Don't show them to girls if they don't ask to see it (civilians hate it when models flaunt if you haven't figured that out by now) but have it on hand cause they will inevitabley be like "you model? no..shut up! prove it". You want to have the proof on hand.

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:31 pm

Softs would probably have no bearing on your admissions decision unless you are literally right on the cusp, but I still think its minimal unless its prestigious or something like starting your own non-profit, etc.

Being good looking will probably help you in a job interview, though, as attractive people are more likely to be hired and more likely to be paid more than their homely-looking counterparts. But its not going to get you into law school if your numbers don't cut it.

aPosseAdEsse

Postby aPosseAdEsse » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:34 pm

nyknicks wrote:I did some modeling over my summers in UG. I did Italian Vogue last summer. Besides that I was on some walls in American Eagle stores, but its not like I was known in the industry or anything. My prelaw advisor warned me against even putting this on my resume because she said models are percieved as dumb. I know it is not true in my case, but I did not think it was worth the risk. So short answer: No, it is not a good soft.

I will say this, I am hoping my modeling career is a good soft with the ladies in law school. I feel as though most law school guys won't be as good looking as me, and even if they are, once I drop that I am a model I always get hotter chicks. Something about being a model, and having a portfolio just makes you look better to the ladies.

My suggestion is this: Do not use it on your resume, but DO bring your portfolios to ASWs and definitely to orientation. Don't show them to girls if they don't ask to see it (civilians hate it when models flaunt if you haven't figured that out by now) but have it on hand cause they will inevitabley be like "you model? no..shut up! prove it". You want to have the proof on hand.

Referring to nonmodels as civilians...

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:37 pm

aPosseAdEsse wrote:
nyknicks wrote:I did some modeling over my summers in UG. I did Italian Vogue last summer. Besides that I was on some walls in American Eagle stores, but its not like I was known in the industry or anything. My prelaw advisor warned me against even putting this on my resume because she said models are percieved as dumb. I know it is not true in my case, but I did not think it was worth the risk. So short answer: No, it is not a good soft.

yeah wow...and definitely bring your portfolio to ASW's, that won't make you look like a huge douche.

CCN

Postby CCN » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:40 pm

OP quit being an attention whore

SDWaterBaby

Postby SDWaterBaby » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:40 pm

I hope the civilian girls at St. Johns are prepared for you nyknicks, a model who has also spent the summer studying the kama sutra instead of getting to maybe... oh man they won't know what hit them

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:44 pm

CG614

Postby CG614 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:48 pm

Financial Modeling, yes.

upfish

Postby upfish » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:49 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
aPosseAdEsse wrote:

yeah wow...and definitely bring your portfolio to ASW's, that won't make you look like a huge douche.

LOLing so hard at the idea of someone whipping out a modeling portfolio when someone says "prove it."

nyknicks

Postby nyknicks » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

SDWaterBaby wrote:I hope the civilian girls at St. Johns are prepared for you nyknicks, a model who has also spent the summer studying the kama sutra instead of getting to maybe... oh man they won't know what hit them

:D . I know TLS is filled with man-hating women with bushes. Sorry if I am into the ladies. It would be the height of stupidity for someone not to combine their modeling career angle with the knowledge of what makes women cream. However, this post, and its dripping sarcasm, isn't coming from one of these man-haters. This is coming from a woman I meant at St. Johns ASD a while back. Sorry, but I hit it and quit it SDWaterBaby. You had your chance, but I only stick with the Dime Piece Bittys (DPBs) and yo' nickel ass aint cutting it. MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIFE ALREADY and stop stalking me on the internet.
Last edited by nyknicks on Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quine

Postby Quine » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:59 pm

You may be my favorite poster on this board.

Quine

Postby Quine » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:01 pm

nyknicks wrote:
SDWaterBaby wrote:I hope the civilian girls at St. Johns are prepared for you nyknicks, a model who has also spent the summer studying the kama sutra instead of getting to maybe... oh man they won't know what hit them

:D . I know TLS is filled with man-hating women with bushes. Sorry if I am into the ladies. It would be the height of stupidity for someone not to combine their modeling career angle with the knowledge of what makes women cream. However, this post, and its dripping sarcasm, isn't coming from one of these man-haters. This is coming from a woman I meant at St. Johns ASD a while back. Sorry, but I hate it and quit it SDWaterBaby. You had your chance, but I only stick with the Dime Piece Bittys (DPBs) and yo' nickel ass aint cutting it. MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIFE ALREADY and stop stalking me on the internet.

Seriously, you are awesome.

rando

Postby rando » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:02 pm

nyknicks wrote:

:D . I know TLS is filled with man-hating women with bushes. Sorry if I am into the ladies. It would be the height of stupidity for someone not to combine their modeling career angle with the knowledge of what makes women cream. However, this post, and its dripping sarcasm, isn't coming from one of these man-haters. This is coming from a woman I meant at St. Johns ASD a while back. Sorry, but I hit it and quit it SDWaterBaby. You had your chance, but I only stick with the Dime Piece Bittys (DPBs) and yo' nickel ass aint cutting it. MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIFE ALREADY and stop stalking me on the internet.

what. are. you. talking. about?

SDWaterBaby

Postby SDWaterBaby » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:03 pm

hahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa <3 you nyknicks. Favorite TLS poster of all time, second only to PN.

Mattalones

Postby Mattalones » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:05 pm

Soft? ... Model? ... Not oxymoronic only for plus-size models ...Go big or go home, right? :lol:

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:06 pm

deets wrote:I've been reading that the more unique a soft the better it is. So, would modeling be a good soft? I can't imagine that many prospective lawyers have modeled.

I did some model work for a pretty sizable company (pretty sure they've made the Fortune 500 a few times) in photos/etc., but never anything along the lines of actual professional modeling, per se.

To answer your question, it was a cool soft... but I don't think it really took me all that far in and of itself. It added to the "holistic" view of my application package. But I don't think any adcomm would say "holy crap s/he's modelled!! Admit her/him!!"

Worth putting on the resume? Yes. Worth taking up a lot of space on the resume? No.

nyknicks

Postby nyknicks » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:09 pm

Quine wrote:
nyknicks wrote:

:D . I know TLS is filled with man-hating women with bushes. Sorry if I am into the ladies. It would be the height of stupidity for someone not to combine their modeling career angle with the knowledge of what makes women cream. However, this post, and its dripping sarcasm, isn't coming from one of these man-haters. This is coming from a woman I meant at St. Johns ASD a while back. Sorry, but I hate it and quit it SDWaterBaby. You had your chance, but I only stick with the Dime Piece Bittys (DPBs) and yo' nickel ass aint cutting it. MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIFE ALREADY and stop stalking me on the internet.

Seriously, you are awesome.

PM me with A/S/L and pics.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”