Is modeling a good soft?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
deets
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:24 pm

Is modeling a good soft?

Postby deets » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:02 pm

I've been reading that the more unique a soft the better it is. So, would modeling be a good soft? I can't imagine that many prospective lawyers have modeled.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Is modeling a good soft?

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:03 pm

deets wrote:I've been reading that the more unique a soft the better it is. So, would modeling be a good soft? I can't imagine that many prospective lawyers have modeled.



If the adcomms are ugly it might make them bitter? :)

User avatar
Jackie O
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:34 am

Re: Is modeling a good soft?

Postby Jackie O » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:04 pm

a/s/l?

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: Is modeling a good soft?

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:08 pm

TTIWWP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Is modeling a good soft?

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:09 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:TTIWWP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: Is modeling a good soft?

Postby AngryAvocado » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:11 pm

If you did it professionally, sure. Adcoms love touting the strange professions of incoming classes (skydiver, dancer, etc.), and being good looking is never a bad thing in the business/legal world.

However, if it's something like you modeled for a campus organization's calendar or something, might not be worth it.

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Re: Is modeling a good soft?

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:12 pm

.
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Is modeling a good soft?

Postby rando » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:22 pm

Don't think it will get you far in admissions but it will go a long way in legal hiring

nyknicks
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:47 pm

Re: Is modeling a good soft?

Postby nyknicks » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:27 pm

I did some modeling over my summers in UG. I did Italian Vogue last summer. Besides that I was on some walls in American Eagle stores, but its not like I was known in the industry or anything. My prelaw advisor warned me against even putting this on my resume because she said models are percieved as dumb. I know it is not true in my case, but I did not think it was worth the risk. So short answer: No, it is not a good soft.

I will say this, I am hoping my modeling career is a good soft with the ladies in law school. I feel as though most law school guys won't be as good looking as me, and even if they are, once I drop that I am a model I always get hotter chicks. Something about being a model, and having a portfolio just makes you look better to the ladies.

My suggestion is this: Do not use it on your resume, but DO bring your portfolios to ASWs and definitely to orientation. Don't show them to girls if they don't ask to see it (civilians hate it when models flaunt if you haven't figured that out by now) but have it on hand cause they will inevitabley be like "you model? no..shut up! prove it". You want to have the proof on hand.

User avatar
beesknees
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Is modeling a good soft?

Postby beesknees » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:31 pm

Softs would probably have no bearing on your admissions decision unless you are literally right on the cusp, but I still think its minimal unless its prestigious or something like starting your own non-profit, etc.

Being good looking will probably help you in a job interview, though, as attractive people are more likely to be hired and more likely to be paid more than their homely-looking counterparts. But its not going to get you into law school if your numbers don't cut it.

aPosseAdEsse
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:19 am

Re: Is modeling a good soft?

Postby aPosseAdEsse » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:34 pm

nyknicks wrote:I did some modeling over my summers in UG. I did Italian Vogue last summer. Besides that I was on some walls in American Eagle stores, but its not like I was known in the industry or anything. My prelaw advisor warned me against even putting this on my resume because she said models are percieved as dumb. I know it is not true in my case, but I did not think it was worth the risk. So short answer: No, it is not a good soft.

I will say this, I am hoping my modeling career is a good soft with the ladies in law school. I feel as though most law school guys won't be as good looking as me, and even if they are, once I drop that I am a model I always get hotter chicks. Something about being a model, and having a portfolio just makes you look better to the ladies.

My suggestion is this: Do not use it on your resume, but DO bring your portfolios to ASWs and definitely to orientation. Don't show them to girls if they don't ask to see it (civilians hate it when models flaunt if you haven't figured that out by now) but have it on hand cause they will inevitabley be like "you model? no..shut up! prove it". You want to have the proof on hand.


Referring to nonmodels as civilians...

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7970
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Is modeling a good soft?

Postby Pleasye » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:37 pm

aPosseAdEsse wrote:
nyknicks wrote:I did some modeling over my summers in UG. I did Italian Vogue last summer. Besides that I was on some walls in American Eagle stores, but its not like I was known in the industry or anything. My prelaw advisor warned me against even putting this on my resume because she said models are percieved as dumb. I know it is not true in my case, but I did not think it was worth the risk. So short answer: No, it is not a good soft.

I will say this, I am hoping my modeling career is a good soft with the ladies in law school. I feel as though most law school guys won't be as good looking as me, and even if they are, once I drop that I am a model I always get hotter chicks. Something about being a model, and having a portfolio just makes you look better to the ladies.

My suggestion is this: Do not use it on your resume, but DO bring your portfolios to ASWs and definitely to orientation. Don't show them to girls if they don't ask to see it (civilians hate it when models flaunt if you haven't figured that out by now) but have it on hand cause they will inevitabley be like "you model? no..shut up! prove it". You want to have the proof on hand.


Referring to nonmodels as civilians...


yeah wow...and definitely bring your portfolio to ASW's, that won't make you look like a huge douche.

CCN
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Is modeling a good soft?

Postby CCN » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:40 pm

OP quit being an attention whore

User avatar
SDWaterBaby
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:20 pm

Re: Is modeling a good soft?

Postby SDWaterBaby » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:40 pm

I hope the civilian girls at St. Johns are prepared for you nyknicks, a model who has also spent the summer studying the kama sutra instead of getting to maybe... oh man they won't know what hit them

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: Is modeling a good soft?

Postby AngryAvocado » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:44 pm

Image

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Is modeling a good soft?

Postby CG614 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:48 pm

Financial Modeling, yes.

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: Is modeling a good soft?

Postby upfish » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:49 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
aPosseAdEsse wrote:
nyknicks wrote:I did some modeling over my summers in UG. I did Italian Vogue last summer. Besides that I was on some walls in American Eagle stores, but its not like I was known in the industry or anything. My prelaw advisor warned me against even putting this on my resume because she said models are percieved as dumb. I know it is not true in my case, but I did not think it was worth the risk. So short answer: No, it is not a good soft.

I will say this, I am hoping my modeling career is a good soft with the ladies in law school. I feel as though most law school guys won't be as good looking as me, and even if they are, once I drop that I am a model I always get hotter chicks. Something about being a model, and having a portfolio just makes you look better to the ladies.

My suggestion is this: Do not use it on your resume, but DO bring your portfolios to ASWs and definitely to orientation. Don't show them to girls if they don't ask to see it (civilians hate it when models flaunt if you haven't figured that out by now) but have it on hand cause they will inevitabley be like "you model? no..shut up! prove it". You want to have the proof on hand.


Referring to nonmodels as civilians...


yeah wow...and definitely bring your portfolio to ASW's, that won't make you look like a huge douche.


LOLing so hard at the idea of someone whipping out a modeling portfolio when someone says "prove it."

nyknicks
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:47 pm

Re: Is modeling a good soft?

Postby nyknicks » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

SDWaterBaby wrote:I hope the civilian girls at St. Johns are prepared for you nyknicks, a model who has also spent the summer studying the kama sutra instead of getting to maybe... oh man they won't know what hit them

:D . I know TLS is filled with man-hating women with bushes. Sorry if I am into the ladies. It would be the height of stupidity for someone not to combine their modeling career angle with the knowledge of what makes women cream. However, this post, and its dripping sarcasm, isn't coming from one of these man-haters. This is coming from a woman I meant at St. Johns ASD a while back. Sorry, but I hit it and quit it SDWaterBaby. You had your chance, but I only stick with the Dime Piece Bittys (DPBs) and yo' nickel ass aint cutting it. MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIFE ALREADY and stop stalking me on the internet.
Last edited by nyknicks on Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Quine
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:49 am

Re: Is modeling a good soft?

Postby Quine » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:59 pm

nyknicks wrote:I did some modeling over my summers in UG. I did Italian Vogue last summer. Besides that I was on some walls in American Eagle stores, but its not like I was known in the industry or anything. My prelaw advisor warned me against even putting this on my resume because she said models are percieved as dumb. I know it is not true in my case, but I did not think it was worth the risk. So short answer: No, it is not a good soft.

I will say this, I am hoping my modeling career is a good soft with the ladies in law school. I feel as though most law school guys won't be as good looking as me, and even if they are, once I drop that I am a model I always get hotter chicks. Something about being a model, and having a portfolio just makes you look better to the ladies.

My suggestion is this: Do not use it on your resume, but DO bring your portfolios to ASWs and definitely to orientation. Don't show them to girls if they don't ask to see it (civilians hate it when models flaunt if you haven't figured that out by now) but have it on hand cause they will inevitabley be like "you model? no..shut up! prove it". You want to have the proof on hand.


You may be my favorite poster on this board.

User avatar
Quine
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:49 am

Re: Is modeling a good soft?

Postby Quine » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:01 pm

nyknicks wrote:
SDWaterBaby wrote:I hope the civilian girls at St. Johns are prepared for you nyknicks, a model who has also spent the summer studying the kama sutra instead of getting to maybe... oh man they won't know what hit them

:D . I know TLS is filled with man-hating women with bushes. Sorry if I am into the ladies. It would be the height of stupidity for someone not to combine their modeling career angle with the knowledge of what makes women cream. However, this post, and its dripping sarcasm, isn't coming from one of these man-haters. This is coming from a woman I meant at St. Johns ASD a while back. Sorry, but I hate it and quit it SDWaterBaby. You had your chance, but I only stick with the Dime Piece Bittys (DPBs) and yo' nickel ass aint cutting it. MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIFE ALREADY and stop stalking me on the internet.


Seriously, you are awesome.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Is modeling a good soft?

Postby rando » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:02 pm

nyknicks wrote:
SDWaterBaby wrote:I hope the civilian girls at St. Johns are prepared for you nyknicks, a model who has also spent the summer studying the kama sutra instead of getting to maybe... oh man they won't know what hit them

:D . I know TLS is filled with man-hating women with bushes. Sorry if I am into the ladies. It would be the height of stupidity for someone not to combine their modeling career angle with the knowledge of what makes women cream. However, this post, and its dripping sarcasm, isn't coming from one of these man-haters. This is coming from a woman I meant at St. Johns ASD a while back. Sorry, but I hit it and quit it SDWaterBaby. You had your chance, but I only stick with the Dime Piece Bittys (DPBs) and yo' nickel ass aint cutting it. MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIFE ALREADY and stop stalking me on the internet.


what. are. you. talking. about?

User avatar
SDWaterBaby
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:20 pm

Re: Is modeling a good soft?

Postby SDWaterBaby » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:03 pm

hahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa <3 you nyknicks. Favorite TLS poster of all time, second only to PN.

User avatar
Mattalones
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:18 pm

Re: Is modeling a good soft?

Postby Mattalones » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:05 pm

Soft? ... Model? ... Not oxymoronic only for plus-size models ...Go big or go home, right? :lol:

User avatar
You Gotta Have Faith
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 5:04 am

Re: Is modeling a good soft?

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:06 pm

deets wrote:I've been reading that the more unique a soft the better it is. So, would modeling be a good soft? I can't imagine that many prospective lawyers have modeled.


I did some model work for a pretty sizable company (pretty sure they've made the Fortune 500 a few times) in photos/etc., but never anything along the lines of actual professional modeling, per se.

To answer your question, it was a cool soft... but I don't think it really took me all that far in and of itself. It added to the "holistic" view of my application package. But I don't think any adcomm would say "holy crap s/he's modelled!! Admit her/him!!"

Worth putting on the resume? Yes. Worth taking up a lot of space on the resume? No.

nyknicks
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:47 pm

Re: Is modeling a good soft?

Postby nyknicks » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:09 pm

Quine wrote:
nyknicks wrote:
SDWaterBaby wrote:I hope the civilian girls at St. Johns are prepared for you nyknicks, a model who has also spent the summer studying the kama sutra instead of getting to maybe... oh man they won't know what hit them

:D . I know TLS is filled with man-hating women with bushes. Sorry if I am into the ladies. It would be the height of stupidity for someone not to combine their modeling career angle with the knowledge of what makes women cream. However, this post, and its dripping sarcasm, isn't coming from one of these man-haters. This is coming from a woman I meant at St. Johns ASD a while back. Sorry, but I hate it and quit it SDWaterBaby. You had your chance, but I only stick with the Dime Piece Bittys (DPBs) and yo' nickel ass aint cutting it. MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIFE ALREADY and stop stalking me on the internet.


Seriously, you are awesome.


PM me with A/S/L and pics.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], packerboy31489 and 7 guests