What is the likelyhood of me getting off waitlist

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
things fall apart
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:39 am

What is the likelyhood of me getting off waitlist

Postby things fall apart » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:29 pm

Hey guys, I have decent scores, a pretty good resume and ps for still being in undergrad. I am also a URM which was what I catered my statement around.

Anyway my LOR really f'd me and I didnt go complete until Februry at some places.

Anyway, regardless of my scores how do these schools handle waitlist?

Fordham
GW
Notre Dame
WashU

I am trying to figure out my life graduating college in two months here, so how likely am I to get off the waitlist at any of these places?

User avatar
pu_golf88
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 1:34 am

Re: What is the likelyhood of me getting off waitlist

Postby pu_golf88 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:17 pm

#s?

CCN
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: What is the likelyhood of me getting off waitlist

Postby CCN » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:19 pm

56.3% w/ a margin of error of +/- 3.4%

User avatar
things fall apart
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:39 am

Re: What is the likelyhood of me getting off waitlist

Postby things fall apart » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:20 pm

I more so am wondering how the schools treat the waitlist in general..but I guess the 60views and 1 reply say thats a stupid idea
22 senior in UG
Good softs
Essay about brief work i did in my parents developing country they were born in
Last edited by things fall apart on Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

CCN
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: What is the likelyhood of me getting off waitlist

Postby CCN » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:21 pm

pu_golf88 wrote:#s?


don't worry about that, i already calculated the odds for them.

OP, you're welcome

User avatar
BigA
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:22 am

Re: What is the likelyhood of me getting off waitlist

Postby BigA » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:29 pm

you'll probably want to work on your spelling if you're going to any of those schools

User avatar
things fall apart
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:39 am

Re: What is the likelyhood of me getting off waitlist

Postby things fall apart » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:35 pm

I'm recovering from a night out, watching a movie, and trying to figure out my life...I could care less about spelling for some lame ass dude on the internet who gets a kick out of making asinine replies on a law school forum.

twopoodles
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:42 pm

Re: What is the likelyhood of me getting off waitlist

Postby twopoodles » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:38 pm

Is your username in reference to the book? Man, my African Lit. professor tortured us about that book.

User avatar
things fall apart
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:39 am

Re: What is the likelyhood of me getting off waitlist

Postby things fall apart » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:10 pm

twopoodles wrote:Is your username in reference to the book? Man, my African Lit. professor tortured us about that book.


The book and the CD. Thats unfortunate he did that, I deeply enjoyed the book.

User avatar
BruceBarr
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:26 pm

Re: What is the likelyhood of me getting off waitlist

Postby BruceBarr » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:12 pm

BigA wrote:you'll probably want to work on your spelling if you're going to any of those schools


You're an idiot, shut the fuck up.

User avatar
BruceBarr
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:26 pm

Re: What is the likelyhood of me getting off waitlist

Postby BruceBarr » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:14 pm

I wouldn't count on getting off... with this years cycle and your numbers/major, you aren't going to be above median at any of those schools. Your chances are minimal at best.

However, write LOCI's and let them know how bad you want to go. Pick your favorite school and tell them that IF accepted, you WILL go.

User avatar
BigA
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:22 am

Re: What is the likelyhood of me getting off waitlist

Postby BigA » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:57 pm

Was I being a douche? Okay sorry. But it seemed pretty careless (and funny) for a professional message board

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: What is the likelyhood of me getting off waitlist

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:00 am

BruceBarr wrote:I wouldn't count on getting off... with this years cycle and your numbers/major, you aren't going to be above median at any of those schools. Your chances are minimal at best.

However, write LOCI's and let them know how bad you want to go. Pick your favorite school and tell them that IF accepted, you WILL go.


OP is a URM, so being above median is really irrelevant. I think that fact would make you more likely to get off at least one of those, given that there are a limited number of URMs out there.

FWIW, I'm going to WUSTL and I think they are worried about overenrollment there, so that may be tough. Fordham has a pretty big waitlist, so that one may be tough as well. Dunno about the other two. I think you'll get off of at least one though.

User avatar
coolio
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:58 pm

Re: What is the likelyhood of me getting off waitlist

Postby coolio » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:17 am

I strongly suggest that you retake the LSAT in June if any of the schools really interest you. I was on 7 waitlists last year (two of which were Fordham and WUSTL), and 5 of them admitted me immediately after a 2-point increase on my June LSAT. One of the schools even threw in a full-tuition scholarship. I am not sure if the situation is totally the same w/ respect to meeting targets for class-wide LSAT scores when URMs are involved, but there is at least a decent chance that you will be offering these schools something if you can secure a slightly higher score, and that they will be willing to compete for you at that stage in the game. I suggest you immediately sign up for June and then begin studying like mad, focusing particularly on whatever section seems most problematic.

User avatar
things fall apart
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:39 am

Re: What is the likelyhood of me getting off waitlist

Postby things fall apart » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:45 am

coolio wrote:I strongly suggest that you retake the LSAT in June if any of the schools really interest you. I was on 7 waitlists last year (two of which were Fordham and WUSTL), and 5 of them admitted me immediately after a 2-point increase on my June LSAT. One of the schools even threw in a full-tuition scholarship. I am not sure if the situation is totally the same w/ respect to meeting targets for class-wide LSAT scores when URMs are involved, but there is at least a decent chance that you will be offering these schools something if you can secure a slightly higher score, and that they will be willing to compete for you at that stage in the game. I suggest you immediately sign up for June and then begin studying like mad, focusing particularly on whatever section seems most problematic.



This seems highly unlikely to be honest. I'd rather just wait until next cycle and study properly to get a 5-7 point increase if that were the route I was to choose. I could potentially have a 1 year job lined up overseas, but like I said I'm figuring my life out at the moment.

User avatar
coolio
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:58 pm

Re: What is the likelyhood of me getting off waitlist

Postby coolio » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:54 am

If it's not urgent then don't do it. And definitely don't go to one of those waitlist schools if you can swing a 5-7 point increase. A 163-165 would get you money from a solid T-14. If you're confident you can do that then definitely don't go to law school this year. Think it over, do something else for now.

User avatar
things fall apart
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:39 am

Re: What is the likelyhood of me getting off waitlist

Postby things fall apart » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:28 am

coolio wrote:If it's not urgent then don't do it. And definitely don't go to one of those waitlist schools if you can swing a 5-7 point increase. A 163-165 would get you money from a solid T-14. If you're confident you can do that then definitely don't go to law school this year. Think it over, do something else for now.



I'm looking at human rights law or something of that matter, probably the opposite of BigLaw so I'm not necessarily concerned about the rank of schools. Money is obviously a big issue here, but most of those schools have some good programs which is a great start to go into that field. I understand T14 schools will have potentially better everything (job prospects in this case) but I think those four schools are solid enough to not toil on rankings to decide where I go to school.
I do appreciate your input, and what you said is certainly an option, I am just going to need some time to figure this whole mess out.

creatinganalt
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: What is the likelyhood of me getting off waitlist

Postby creatinganalt » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:35 am

things fall apart wrote:
coolio wrote:If it's not urgent then don't do it. And definitely don't go to one of those waitlist schools if you can swing a 5-7 point increase. A 163-165 would get you money from a solid T-14. If you're confident you can do that then definitely don't go to law school this year. Think it over, do something else for now.



I'm looking at human rights law or something of that matter, probably the opposite of BigLaw so I'm not necessarily concerned about the rank of schools. Money is obviously a big issue here, but most of those schools have some good programs which is a great start to go into that field. I understand T14 schools will have potentially better everything (job prospects in this case) but I think those four schools are solid enough to not toil on rankings to decide where I go to school.
I do appreciate your input, and what you said is certainly an option, I am just going to need some time to figure this whole mess out.


PI jobs are MORE prestige conscious than biglaw jobs. Don't take my word for it. Think about the kind of jobs you want to do and go look up the resumes of their recent hires on their websites. If they say Fordham then go ahead. If they say Harvard then retake.

Also no one has asked what kind of URM you are - which matters.

User avatar
things fall apart
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:39 am

Re: What is the likelyhood of me getting off waitlist

Postby things fall apart » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:12 am

creatinganalt wrote:
things fall apart wrote:
coolio wrote:If it's not urgent then don't do it. And definitely don't go to one of those waitlist schools if you can swing a 5-7 point increase. A 163-165 would get you money from a solid T-14. If you're confident you can do that then definitely don't go to law school this year. Think it over, do something else for now.



I'm looking at human rights law or something of that matter, probably the opposite of BigLaw so I'm not necessarily concerned about the rank of schools. Money is obviously a big issue here, but most of those schools have some good programs which is a great start to go into that field. I understand T14 schools will have potentially better everything (job prospects in this case) but I think those four schools are solid enough to not toil on rankings to decide where I go to school.
I do appreciate your input, and what you said is certainly an option, I am just going to need some time to figure this whole mess out.


PI jobs are MORE prestige conscious than biglaw jobs. Don't take my word for it. Think about the kind of jobs you want to do and go look up the resumes of their recent hires on their websites. If they say Fordham then go ahead. If they say Harvard then retake.

Also no one has asked what kind of URM you are - which matters.



I see, well that will be taken into consideration as I look all this back up.

I am an AfAm male

User avatar
things fall apart
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:39 am

Re: What is the likelyhood of me getting off waitlist

Postby things fall apart » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:06 pm

bump

cartercl
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:08 am

Re: What is the likelyhood of me getting off waitlist

Postby cartercl » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:13 pm

That CD jams




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests