Dumbest Law School Move you know of.........

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hoopsguy6

Re: Dumbest Law School Move you know of.........

Postby hoopsguy6 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:50 pm

Full ride at Cooley > Hofstra sticker. Sounds like he made the right choice.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:54 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
MentalGopher wrote:I think I might have a winner here...and I found this post right on TLS, too. No, really.

I might be attending Cooley next year on a full ride and I passed up admission at Hofstra to do it. I just can't convince myself that 150k+ debt would be wortha legal education. To pool an entire student body into a category of fuck ups is not reasonable. But I suppose if you need to shit on something without put much thought or effort into it then Cooley is a great candidate. Kudos

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

150K isn't worth it for Hofstra. You are working shit law anyway, might as well do it without crushing debt.

+1. He definitely made the right decision. A free shitty law degree is better than an expensive kinda shitty law degree.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:56 pm

hoopsguy6 wrote:Full ride at Cooley > Hofstra sticker. Sounds like he made the right choice.

+1

Postby 09042014 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:58 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
MentalGopher wrote:I think I might have a winner here...and I found this post right on TLS, too. No, really.

I might be attending Cooley next year on a full ride and I passed up admission at Hofstra to do it. I just can't convince myself that 150k+ debt would be wortha legal education. To pool an entire student body into a category of fuck ups is not reasonable. But I suppose if you need to shit on something without put much thought or effort into it then Cooley is a great candidate. Kudos

150K isn't worth it for Hofstra. You are working shit law anyway, might as well do it without crushing debt.

+1. He definitely made the right decision. A free shitty law degree is better than an expensive kinda shitty law degree.

His mistake was going to Cooley, which has a really large stigma attached to it. Other T4's might have full rided him.

Why do T4's even give scholarships? I'd just let any bozo in take his 150K. T4 is T4 is T4.

MentalGopher

Postby MentalGopher » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

His mistake was going to Cooley, which has a really large stigma attached to it. Other T4's might have full rided him.

Why do T4's even give scholarships? I'd just let any bozo in take his 150K. T4 is T4 is T4.

Any other T4 being chosen over Hofstra, and I'd probably agree with you guys (except for maybe Appalachian or FA&M). But Cooley's just a meat grinder that'll kick him out. At least with Hofstra, he/she will have a better chance of getting a job that will afford a domicile other than a cardboard box. A little legwork might be needed, sure, but it can probably be done.

Weez

Postby Weez » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:58 pm

lt0826 wrote:
Weez wrote:
Can't help but feel sorry for those folks. When I told my dental hygienist I was going to law school she thought I was going to be going to Lincoln Law School, which is not nationally accredited. She seemed relieve when I said I would be going elsewhere and leaving the area. She said a number of her friends have gone to Lincoln and flunked out. Only 30% of their class graduates or some crazy number like that. They flunk ppl so they can say they have a decent bar passage rate, in the meantime they get tuition for one or two years. They rip people off who simply don't know better.

Oh no, not Lincoln Law School in Sacramento???? I think that school is basically auto-admit for everyone. Even if your app is done in crayon.

That would be the place. Rip-off central. I really don't think schools like that should even be allowed to operate. But yes, they accept you, you flunk out, they get 1-2 years of tuition and can claim a decent bar passage rate. It is very hard for me here because so many people have gone there and I don't want to insult their school to their face, but I would just not go to law school if Lincoln was the best I could do. We have McGeorge for a T2 that at least places well in Sacramento. The poor folks who go to Lincoln, even the ones who graduate struggle to find work.

We also have UCD 20 minutes down 80 west if you have decent numbers. A friend of mine was telling me (with some measure of pride I might add) that a friend of his finished L1 at the top of his class at Lincoln. I honestly wonder if he could transfer to McGeorge from there.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:34 am

traehekat wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
dp73816 wrote:I see his logic, but thats the type of person that buys real estate on the moon or flavored air.

Wait... is your point that these are bad investments?

Oh no... :oops:

this is some good ass air...

LMFAO :lol: :lol:

Core

Postby Core » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:45 am

nyknicks wrote:90K NU, for Fordham full ride.

Fordham gives full rides? I was under the impression their largest scholarship offer was $75,000 this year, and $60,000 last year.

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:04 am

rad law wrote:
You Gotta Have Faith wrote:
dp73816 wrote:I do know a guy that turned down Harvard for Texas (with full-ride). He actually sent Harvard a formal letter of withdrawal, simply because "how many people get to do that?" But I guess it worked out for him - he's now partner of a large S. Florida firm where my uncle works. Not the dumbest move, but still a good story.

There is one WUSTL Law alum (from 4 years back, who loved StL) and a Vanderbilt admit (from last year) that also did that. Can't say I would likely turn down Harvard for a school in this range (even for free), but it does happen from time to time.

And from what I have seen, as you point out, these people usually do very well regardless.

I know a girl who turned down Harvard for Vandy with about 1/2 scholarship last year. Same person perhpas? I wouldn't have done it, but she fell in love with Vanderbilt and is VERY southern.

Kid from my UG turned down Harvard for a full ride + stipend at Vandy. He's very happy about his choice from what I can tell and it sounds like he made the right decision.

Pastels

Postby Pastels » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:15 pm

I actually like that choice.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:31 pm

Guys, Hofstra is a really good regional school for the Long Island market. There's a real supply of quality legal jobs that are not taken up by the T14'ers flocking to the city, and Hofstra grads are the primary source for these jobs - employers know that if you've attended Hofstra law, you've received a quality legal education.

bahahahaha I just wanted to see if I could type the whole thing out with a straight face

amputatedbrain

Postby amputatedbrain » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:08 pm

I know a guy who knows a guy who actually was seduced by Candy at Phoenix

"dude, I gotta act now, I don't know how much longer she can hold that scholarship for me"

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:31 pm

amputatedbrain wrote:I know a guy who knows a guy who actually was seduced by Candy at Phoenix

"dude, I gotta act now, I don't know how much longer she can hold that scholarship for me"

I thought your statement was going to lead to a MUCH better quote than that...

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:35 pm

miamiman wrote:
Mr. Pablo wrote:
traehekat wrote:Personally, I wasn't a big fan of Ava Marie's move from Ann Arbor to Naples. Naples is certainly a beautiful area, but the high COL plus their already high tuition is a big turnoff now. They should have stayed in Ann Arbor where there is less competition.

EDIT: Ann Arbor IS a whore, though...

There was an article about Ave a while ago, I remember getting the impression that they were on their way to becoming a respectable third tier school (a'la not Cooley or Florida Coastal), but the move to Florida ruined them. Its always Florida. Just sink already.

Wait...this is a joke right? Please tell me that you don't really care whatsoever about ave maria. I'm not even joking...if I got riled up about the dumb shit that TTT and TTTTs did, I don't think id be able to function.

Fuck, Cooley bought a stadium. Does that bother me? No. Should it? Maybe. But, again, I'm impervious to TTTT existence.

The humor is in the wordplay with the thread's title.

MD/JD2B

Postby MD/JD2B » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:39 pm

I had to ice my ankle during the LSAT in a "waterproof" sleeve. It leaked. The monitor asked me if I needed to use the facilities.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:57 pm

Rawlsian wrote:
miamiman wrote:
Mr. Pablo wrote:
traehekat wrote:Personally, I wasn't a big fan of Ava Marie's move from Ann Arbor to Naples. Naples is certainly a beautiful area, but the high COL plus their already high tuition is a big turnoff now. They should have stayed in Ann Arbor where there is less competition.

EDIT: Ann Arbor IS a whore, though...

There was an article about Ave a while ago, I remember getting the impression that they were on their way to becoming a respectable third tier school (a'la not Cooley or Florida Coastal), but the move to Florida ruined them. Its always Florida. Just sink already.

Wait...this is a joke right? Please tell me that you don't really care whatsoever about ave maria. I'm not even joking...if I got riled up about the dumb shit that TTT and TTTTs did, I don't think id be able to function.

Fuck, Cooley bought a stadium. Does that bother me? No. Should it? Maybe. But, again, I'm impervious to TTTT existence.

The humor is in the wordplay with the thread's title.

FINALLY.

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:59 pm

Core wrote:

Fordham gives full rides? I was under the impression their largest scholarship offer was $75,000 this year, and $60,000 last year.

I've been told that Fordham doesn't give out many (if any, depending on the year) full rides as well. Does anyone know if this is true? Genuine curiosity... I do have one friend who really wanted to go there but it just wasn't competitive to him with no $$ at all (he got into one t14 and around half-tuition at a place in between).

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:45 am

Core wrote:

I've been told that Fordham doesn't give out many (if any, depending on the year) full rides as well. Does anyone know if this is true? Genuine curiosity... I do have one friend who really wanted to go there but it just wasn't competitive to him with no $$ at all (he got into one t14 and around half-tuition at a place in between).

They are extremely rare. (Probably fewer than half a dozen awarded, by my guess). It's a huge honor to get one, and they come with mentoring and a whole host of crazy connections and perks. I think you need more than just numbers to be competitive.

futurelawyer413

Postby futurelawyer413 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:55 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
Core wrote:

They are extremely rare. (Probably fewer than half a dozen awarded, by my guess). It's a huge honor to get one, and they come with mentoring and a whole host of crazy connections and perks. I think you need more than just numbers to be competitive.

Hmm, I wonder if that's how admissions (not full ride) works @ Fordham in general, i.e. more than just #'s?

Also, this prob deserves its own thread and dont mean to go off-topic here, but since OS is awake lol - I got a buddy who is deciding between Cardozo ($$) and Fordham (no $), do you think they would consider matching scholly?

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:04 am

$1.99 wrote:that douche bag a couple years back trying to say he was an URM because he grew up in a URM family and got in trouble with a couple of law schools

What's the whole story? I never came across this guy, but I'd like to hear more about it.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:47 am

OMG! I got accepted to John Marshall (at sticked) all the way in Chicago(from Florida). It's going to be amazing. I'll be super rich, young and gorgeous in a big city.

epic fail.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:41 am

futurelawyer413 wrote:
Hmm, I wonder if that's how admissions (not full ride) works @ Fordham in general, i.e. more than just #'s?

Also, this prob deserves its own thread and dont mean to go off-topic here, but since OS is awake lol - I got a buddy who is deciding between Cardozo ($$) and Fordham (no $), do you think they would consider matching scholly?

Fordham is more holistic than many schools. I know for a fact they have made exceptions for amazing people, and even for people who simply wanted to be there more than most. :oops:

IME Fordham will not grant a matching scholly, but the school is worth more. Your friend can still submit the other scholarship and ask for some money. I wish Fordham had more to give. I am paying sticker, as are most of my friends.

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:58 am

me: "dude I don't know if going to an unranked school is such a good investment, especially if they're not giving you much $"

him: "you couldn't be more wrong. you don't get it. a JD is just a good thing to HAVE"

futurelawyer413

Postby futurelawyer413 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:49 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
futurelawyer413 wrote:

Fordham is more holistic than many schools. I know for a fact they have made exceptions for amazing people, and even for people who simply wanted to be there more than most. :oops:

IME Fordham will not grant a matching scholly, but the school is worth more. Your friend can still submit the other scholarship and ask for some money. I wish Fordham had more to give. I am paying sticker, as are most of my friends.

Ok, will do! Thanks Princess

martin024

Postby martin024 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:55 pm

My friend is going to Cooley (and paying COL + some) for his "bar card," but he wants to work in the music industry in California. No joke.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”