Dumbest Law School Move you know of.........

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dp73816

Re: Dumbest Law School Move you know of.........

Postby dp73816 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:35 pm

Ironic...I literally just got through talking to a friend with an LSAT score wayy above mine, but going to a T-4 because he refused to look out of state and therefore only applied to the few local schools. I applied to 30+, and told him to apply to at least 10-12, but he would not listen; he was absolutely sure he was going to get in to the t-40 state school. Now, he's going on a small partial-scholarship to that T-4, while I have a near-full ride to a T-2. Kind of feel bad, honestly, but it was his own stupidity.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:39 pm

dp73816 wrote:Ironic...I literally just got through talking to a friend with an LSAT score wayy above mine, but going to a T-4 because he refused to look out of state and therefore only applied to the few local schools. I applied to 30+, and told him to apply to at least 10-12, but he would not listen; he was absolutely sure he was going to get in to the t-40 state school. Now, he's going on a small partial-scholarship to that T-4, while I have a near-full ride to a T-2. Kind of feel bad, honestly, but it was his own stupidity.

Point the person to the BP chooses where you go to law school thread. I'll slap sense into them.

urban

Postby urban » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:43 pm

A girl I know allegedly turned down Yale for Pace. Not sure if I believe her.

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:43 pm

acdisagod wrote:I turned down Cornell to go to Cooley, but given that Cooley is ranked 12th and Cornell is ranked 45th, I feel that this is a smart move on my part: --LinkRemoved-- Cornell was tempting, but Cooley's astronomical library square footage per student ratio was the clincher. I just hope my Cooley degree will be national enough to get me NYC biglaw.

Credited action.

People on this board are under the delusion that USNews is more respected by employers.

dp73816

Postby dp73816 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:45 pm

urban wrote:A girl I know allegedly turned down Yale for Pace. Not sure if I believe her.

I wouldn't.

dp73816

Postby dp73816 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:47 pm

I do know a guy that turned down Harvard for Texas (with full-ride). He actually sent Harvard a formal letter of withdrawal, simply because "how many people get to do that?" But I guess it worked out for him - he's now partner of a large S. Florida firm where my uncle works. Not the dumbest move, but still a good story.

bworsowicz

Postby bworsowicz » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:53 pm

From a current 1L at an ASD - "The professors here are all really smart. A lot of them went to, like, Harvard."

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:24 am

$1.99 wrote:that douche bag a couple years back trying to say he was an URM because he grew up in a URM family and got in trouble with a couple of law schools

This I gotta hear.

pugalicious

Postby pugalicious » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:29 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
$1.99 wrote:that douche bag a couple years back trying to say he was an URM because he grew up in a URM family and got in trouble with a couple of law schools

This I gotta hear.

Well, it begins, "I was born a poor, black child..."

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:45 am

dp73816 wrote:I do know a guy that turned down Harvard for Texas (with full-ride). He actually sent Harvard a formal letter of withdrawal, simply because "how many people get to do that?" But I guess it worked out for him - he's now partner of a large S. Florida firm where my uncle works. Not the dumbest move, but still a good story.

There is one WUSTL Law alum (from 4 years back, who loved StL) and a Vanderbilt admit (from last year) that also did that. Can't say I would likely turn down Harvard for a school in this range (even for free), but it does happen from time to time.

And from what I have seen, as you point out, these people usually do very well regardless.

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:47 am

I've met someone who turned down UIUC (at sticker) for a full ride at Tulsa. Not sure if that qualifies as a bad move or not. I just know I personally would have picked UIUC in that situation.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:57 am

You Gotta Have Faith wrote:
dp73816 wrote:I do know a guy that turned down Harvard for Texas (with full-ride). He actually sent Harvard a formal letter of withdrawal, simply because "how many people get to do that?" But I guess it worked out for him - he's now partner of a large S. Florida firm where my uncle works. Not the dumbest move, but still a good story.

There is one WUSTL Law alum (from 4 years back, who loved StL) and a Vanderbilt admit (from last year) that also did that. Can't say I would likely turn down Harvard for a school in this range (even for free), but it does happen from time to time.

And from what I have seen, as you point out, these people usually do very well regardless.

I know a girl who turned down Harvard for Vandy with about 1/2 scholarship last year. Same person perhpas? I wouldn't have done it, but she fell in love with Vanderbilt and is VERY southern.

creatinganalt

Postby creatinganalt » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:26 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:

This I gotta hear.

IIRC he had a Mexican (def Hispanic) stepfather who had married his mom when he was in his early teens. He ticked Hispanic and bragged all over Xoxo and LSD and the adcoms put two and two together. I think (amusingly enough) it was the Michigan adcom who noticed and then called all the other schools.

DONT SCREW WITH MICHIGAN

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:46 am

creatinganalt wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:

This I gotta hear.

IIRC he had a Mexican (def Hispanic) stepfather who had married his mom when he was in his early teens. He ticked Hispanic and bragged all over Xoxo and LSD and the adcoms put two and two together. I think (amusingly enough) it was the Michigan adcom who noticed and then called all the other schools.

DONT SCREW WITH MICHIGAN

IIRC, he ended up attending Michigan.
Last edited by ggocat on Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

dp73816

Postby dp73816 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:57 am

ggocat wrote:
creatinganalt wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:

This I gotta hear.

DONT SCREW WITH MICHIGAN

IIRC, he ended up attending Michigan.

Wow - and I felt weird about checking Native American, even though I'm just under half. I did know a guy with the last name of "Ramirez" that put that he was of Mexican descent, even though he was actually from Spain. But that worked out for him without a hitch.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:58 am

Ah, I remember his name. Dion Alaniz.

Here is a "reference thread" on Xoxo. --LinkRemoved--

Here is his thread on LSD. He is "bigtex." http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prel ... 879.0.html.

Could be this guy? I think the date matches up. Not sure, though. --LinkRemoved--

mpasi

Postby mpasi » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:10 am

Full ride at SMU for UT with little money, with intentions to move to NYC and practice biglaw. This was after negotiating with SMU for more money. Then again, maybe she played it well? Used the UT admission to get more out of SMU even though she had no intention of attending?

OU for Tulsa. No money at OU, so maybe it's not that dumb.

American for UCLA, but wanting to practice environmental law in DC. Both with money, but WTF?

I swear the PAD kids at my school are total dumbasses who didn't deserve these acceptances.

dp73816

Postby dp73816 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:16 am

mpasi wrote:Full ride at SMU for UT with little money, with intentions to move to NYC and practice biglaw. This was after negotiating with SMU for more money. Then again, maybe she played it well? Used the UT admission to get more out of SMU even though she had no intention of attending?

OU for Tulsa. No money at OU, so maybe it's not that dumb.

American for UCLA, but wanting to practice environmental law in DC. Both with money, but WTF?

I swear the PAD kids at my school are total dumbasses who didn't deserve these acceptances.

+100 - kids that I wouldnt trust with a pair of scissors getting accepted to t-30 schools, only to state in-state bc they would pee their pants without their mothers right around the corner to do their laundry

mpasi

Postby mpasi » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:19 am

ggocat wrote:Ah, I remember his name. Dion Alaniz.

Here is his thread on LSD. He is "bigtex." http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prel ... 879.0.html.

Could be this guy? I think the date matches up. Not sure, though. --LinkRemoved--

So I guess his second dumbass move was posting on Auto Admit? I'm surprised that he didn't hire Reputation Defender and sue. I guess those Yale girls taught him nothing. Google is forever, people.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:41 am

mpasi wrote:
ggocat wrote:Ah, I remember his name. Dion Alaniz.

So I guess his second dumbass move was posting on Auto Admit? I'm surprised that he didn't hire Reputation Defender and sue. I guess those Yale girls taught him nothing. Google is forever, people.

I think it was more posting on LSD and having all his info on LSN. IIRC, he may have had a self-tar. He wrote a diversity statement for Michigan fully explaining why he identified as Mexican/Hispanic, but I think UT did not at the time accept diversity statements. So he checked Mexican/Hispanic at UT without an explanation.

But in the end, he was posting like someone who thought he was anonymous and took liberty with what he said, which added to the humor; you've most certainly seen this type of person on TLS, as well. Then he got even more famous by sending a snide e-mail to his conlaw professor (and the student body) because the prof didn't turn grades in on time. Ended up getting a job at Baker Botts. lol.

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:46 am

"I'll go to Cardozo. My LSAT is way above their 75th percentile, so I'll book my classes and transfer!"

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:25 am

Here's the thing about making a decision to take a large scholarship at a lower ranked school. It can be a credited move (especially for someone tied to a certain city) provided that person first does exhaustive research and makes him or herself aware of any and all opportunity costs. The dumbest law school move is choosing any school, even a really good one, without adequate research. This is about more than job placement (although of course that is critical.) Schools and cities differ a lot in atmosphere, and one student's paradise could be another's prison, quite independently of the types of jobs available or the value added.

As an applicant, I was pretty determined to stay in New York (I've lived here five years, and I don't have a car). I've been happy with my choice, though I was hardly in any position to turn down T14s. Since starting 1L year, I've gotten to travel widely and visit friends at schools all over the place. Proud students at five T14s have shown me their schools, and I've met enough amazing people to say that I no longer feel it right to judge other people's decisions, if made with proper research into the realities of the marketplace and of life as a law student.

A good place to start: --LinkRemoved-- and a round of school visits and meetings with students, alumni, and practicing attorneys.

mpasi

Postby mpasi » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:36 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Here's the thing about making a decision to take a large scholarship at a lower ranked school. It can be a credited move (especially for someone tied to a certain city) provided that person first does exhaustive research and makes him or herself aware of any and all opportunity costs. The dumbest law school move is choosing any school, even a really good one, without adequate research. This is about more than job placement (although of course that is critical.) Schools and cities differ a lot in atmosphere, and one student's paradise could be another's prison, quite independently of the types of jobs available or the value added.

As an applicant, I was pretty determined to stay in New York (I've lived here five years, and I don't have a car). I've been happy with my choice, though I was hardly in any position to turn down T14s. Since starting 1L year, I've gotten to travel widely and visit friends at schools all over the place. Proud students at five T14s have shown me their schools, and I've met enough amazing people to say that I no longer feel it right to judge other people's decisions, if made with proper research into the realities of the marketplace and of life as a law student.

A good place to start: --LinkRemoved-- and a round of school visits and meetings with students, alumni, and practicing attorneys.

This will come in handy for the 2011 app cycle. Thanks.

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:48 pm

mpasi wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:Here's the thing about making a decision to take a large scholarship at a lower ranked school. It can be a credited move (especially for someone tied to a certain city) provided that person first does exhaustive research and makes him or herself aware of any and all opportunity costs. The dumbest law school move is choosing any school, even a really good one, without adequate research. This is about more than job placement (although of course that is critical.) Schools and cities differ a lot in atmosphere, and one student's paradise could be another's prison, quite independently of the types of jobs available or the value added.

This will come in handy for the 2011 app cycle. Thanks.

We will hopefully post the 2010 data soon too, and in a form that's even more accessible.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:08 pm

night06 wrote:I took my LSAT at an unaccredited school in California. Much of the chatter prior to the exam was from people who were retaking (this was the June LSAT) with the hopes that if they did well this time, they'd be able to start at that very school in the Fall. They then proceeded to joke about how expensive it would be, saying something along the lines of "oh well, we'll be able to make it back easily as lawyers!" :shock:

I don't want to sound like a prick, but if you're scoring so low that you need a retake in order to gain admission to an unaccredited school... well, law school is probably not for you.

hahaha. When I took the LSAT (only took it once btw) the girl in front of me asked the guy in front of me how many sections were on the LSAT. Then she asked him if she could borrow some #2 pencils...
Last edited by fortissimo on Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”