I need to grow a set a-sap...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

What would you do?

Take the scholly and cope, bitch.
68%
Tell your parents to F' off and man up and give it a shot.
32%

Total votes: 112

erniesto

Re: I need to grow a set a-sap...

Postby erniesto » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:54 pm

ITT we discover why OP has a 161.

You've got it so good and don't even realize it. You of course also realize that you're soliciting advice from law students to override actual practicing lawyers.

Manning up would be taking your parents advice and money and then taking your vacations in Prague or Cancun.

pjo

Postby pjo » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:59 pm

merichard87 wrote:Maybe you should go to WVU and just spend your [strike]summers[/strike] winters on sunny beaches.

fixed that. were talking about west viriginia, the summers are nice..its the winters that suck (especially this past one) lol.

--anyway, OP I really think in your case you have to go with WVU. I mean, its not like your parents are just some shmucks who mistakenly think just going to any law school will land you big $$$. They seem like they really know whats best here and their directing you to the right decision (with your best interests in mind). Don't get so caught up in what school you go to. Yea, it'd be extremely nice to say you wen to Harvard, but at the end of the day school is just a means to an end...the career you want. If going to WVU will get you the career you want (which it seems like it will from all the contacts you'll make through your parents' firm) then I say do it. Besides, if you do that for a while and decide you want to leave WV, you'll already have the experience and business to make a lateral move to another state and firm.

mshflyer

Postby mshflyer » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:30 pm

Danteshek wrote:Your desire to leave WV has more to do with the fact that you are 22, and less to do with what is best for you in the long run. Man up.

+1. OP, I know how you feel about wanting to branch out on your own in a new place, but don't let the hope of the possibility of something else ruin this opportunity. Worst case scenario you can still try to transfer out of WV next year. The money you will save can also allow you to do more with your degree in the future, like pro bono work. Overall, I'd say you'd have a pretty good quality of life going to WV.

You know what's best for you in the end though. :)

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:47 pm

I'll be the contrarian here.

I think taking a year off, retaking the LSAT, and trying to go to the best school you can get into is a great chance to build character and independence. You'll feel better about yourself if you go this route. You'll get to meet plenty of different people and experience life in a different setting. Plus, your parents, if they have any sense will come around to the fact that you are your own person. Saying that they'd pay sticker for certain schools they approve of, but not other schools and not next year is kind of immature on their part. There's a good chance they will change their mind and help you out anyways if you show them that you are a grown-up, and can be responsible for making your own decisions.

But even if they don't, it's not the end of the world if you have to go into debt like everyone else to get through law school. The chance to man up, make your own decisions, and forge your own path in life is worth more than money, if you ask me.

Pastels

Postby Pastels » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:56 pm

I really appreciate the insightful posts guys.

If I was 38 and wanting to start a family this would be easy, but at 22 this decision is quite difficult.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:00 am

Pastels wrote:I really appreciate the insightful posts guys.

If I was 38 and wanting to start a family this would be easy, but at 22 this decision is quite difficult.

If you don't work at their firm, what do you want to do?

Because unless you are top 10% at a T1, you'll probably be working at someone elses firm doing the same shit, but ALOT less.

tasteofred

Postby tasteofred » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:14 am

I'd talk to lawyers at firms in cities you think you'd like to work in and try to figure out if the experience you'll get from working at your parents' firm will be enough to get you a good job somewhere else if you get sick of WV.

IMO, you're in way too good of a position to give up a year for the chance at a better school.

Pastels

Postby Pastels » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:23 am

Correct me if I am wrong but 700-900K in WV is close to what partners of biglaw firms make?

Realistically, lets say I bring my score up to a 170 with a 3.4 and get the G-town degree. I still doubt I will ever be in a position to make as much $$$ as I will back at home? am I right?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:25 am

Pastels wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but 700-900K in WV is close to what partners of biglaw firms make?

Realistically, lets say I bring my score up to a 170 with a 3.4 and get the G-town degree. I still doubt I will ever be in a position to make as much $$$ as I will back at home? am I right?

It's more than most big law partners make even in raw dollars.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:26 am

Take a year off to live on your own for a while. Don't take any money from them. Just work and support yourself. Live independently. After a year if you've shown yourself that you can support yourself then you will have manned up. At that point you won't feel like you feel now about taking their offer. You won't feel like a little kid whose parents are making him dress up in a Easter Sunday suit for church when he wants to go play in the mud with his friends.

I'd hike the Appalachian trail if I were you. A nice long walk'll clear the head.

Pastels

Postby Pastels » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:35 am

MURPH wrote:Take a year off to live on your own for a while. Don't take any money from them. Just work and support yourself. Live independently. After a year if you've shown yourself that you can support yourself then you will have manned up. At that point you won't feel like you feel now about taking their offer. You won't feel like a little kid whose parents are making him dress up in a Easter Sunday suit for church when he wants to go play in the mud with his friends.

I'd hike the Appalachian trail if I were you. A nice long walk'll clear the head.

Serious post? or do you jest?

smalltown

Postby smalltown » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:45 am

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:48 am

Pastels wrote:
MURPH wrote:Take a year off to live on your own for a while. Don't take any money from them. Just work and support yourself. Live independently. After a year if you've shown yourself that you can support yourself then you will have manned up. At that point you won't feel like you feel now about taking their offer. You won't feel like a little kid whose parents are making him dress up in a Easter Sunday suit for church when he wants to go play in the mud with his friends.

I don't think its jest. Part of the OP's problem is feeling treated like a child and I think getting out on your own is a must for everyone.

However, OP, if you want the safe bet and don't have a need to be independent from your parents, make it on your own, etc, then take their money and go to the school they want you to go to. This is honestly meant.

But if it were me (which I know its not), I'd personally want to live my own life and establish my own career because I can't handle controlling parents. If independence and a sense of standing on your own two feet is important to you, then wait a year, work your ass off to kill the LSAT to either go to a high ranked school or get a butt load of money at a lower ranked school in an area where you want to live. You'd have to be like most law students and face financing your own schooling through a combo of merit aid and/or loans, but it would mean freedom of choice in what and where you practice.

Its really up to you and what you value. Others will judge you either way - either parents for not taking the safe route or chicks, for not growing a pair... ok that last point was a bit unfair.

Pastels

Postby Pastels » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:08 am

It was more of grow a set and make a decision already. My parents may be a bit controlling, yes, but whose aren't? I have never been one of those kids who refuses to use the connections his parents have to get something but I do not want to "settle" on a law school for the coin. It might be me being a prestige whore or immaturity but I really feel as if WVU is not the best fit for me.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:11 am

Pastels wrote:It was more of grow a set and make a decision already. My parents may be a bit controlling, yes, but whose aren't? I have never been one of those kids who refuses to use the connections his parents have to get something but I do not want to "settle" on a law school for the coin. It might be me being a prestige whore or immaturity but I really feel as if WVU is not the best fit for me.

Do you really think your parents are going to shut you out of their firm for life if you take another year and go to a better school? My sense is that they will eventually get over it.

pany1985

Postby pany1985 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:11 am

I can't see anything about "hiking the Appalachian trail" anymore without reading it as "banging a mistress in Argentina"

That would also probably be a good way to clear your head, btw.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:14 am

[quote="JCougar"][strike]I'll be the contrarian here.

I think taking a year off, retaking the LSAT, and trying to go to the best school you can get into is a great chance to build character and independence. You'll feel better about yourself if you go this route. You'll get to meet plenty of different people and experience life in a different setting. Plus, your parents, if they have any sense will come around to the fact that you are your own person. Saying that they'd pay sticker for certain schools they approve of, but not other schools and not next year is kind of immature on their part. There's a good chance they will change their mind and help you out anyways if you show them that you are a grown-up, and can be responsible for making your own decisions.

But even if they don't, it's not the end of the world if you have to go into debt like everyone else to get through law school. The chance to man up, make your own decisions, and forge your own path in life is worth more than money, if you ask me.[/[/strike]quote]

FTFY

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:28 am

Pastels wrote:

I meant it but you don't have to take it seriously. I've known people who have hiked the AT. I rode a bicycle across the continent. Many people have backpacked through Europe or lived in China for a year. These things are life changing experiences. Even for people who go back to doing the same thing when it is over - living with parents, hanging out with friends, etc - they are different. They are usually more confident, more open minded and better at planning and risk taking.

But you have to be the one to do it. Don't let your parents rent an apartment in China for you. Save up some money, read a few guide books or 'how to' books and get a little practice. Then embark on an adventure.

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:41 am

I would take the scholly and the guaranteed job.
It's important to live your own life, etc. etc.
But I'm old, and I can say that looking back, I should have done some of the smart but boring things my parents tried to get me to do.

Thank me when you're 35.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:11 am

neimanmarxist wrote:I would take the scholly and the guaranteed job.
It's important to live your own life, etc. etc.
But I'm old, and I can say that looking back, I should have done some of the smart but boring things my parents tried to get me to do.

Thank me when you're 35.

Really, I'll be 35 soon and I regret the times I did the safe, boring stuff. The stupid risky stuff was what makes life worth living. I'll guess we'll just have to disagree... OP, you'll get only get confused listening to us old folks.

gossipgirl

Postby gossipgirl » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:45 am

If you have no problem living in West Virginia after law school AND you want to make big money after COL, how is this even a question? For all the people who are saying that you need to enjoy your life right now, YOU CAN. If you go to any other school, you'll have to worry about getting a job and debt if your parents refuse to help you out. If you go to WVA, you can just chill for 3 years, pressure free, and take as many vacations as you want throughout the year because only passing the bar matters to you.

Take a 3 year vacation and then work and make big money with your parents by being your own boss. This is nothing short of a dream scenario (other than that it's in WVA :P )

Pastels

Postby Pastels » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:21 pm

All valid points,

Thanks for everyone who gave advice. This is a very hard decision but everyone thus far has been most helpful.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:09 pm

Once you start work in WV, your mobility is diminished. It's not like big firms are going to respect that you went to T20 and then spent 4 years doing smalll law in Appalachia.

If you want to leave, you need to go to a better school and then practice somewhere else. If you are going to stay in WV, then you are far better served by avoiding debt.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:35 pm

I don't believe that your parents make that much money. HTH

Pastels

Postby Pastels » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:37 pm

Cilent21 wrote:I don't believe that your parents make that much money. HTH

Hate of the year award goes to...................

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”