When is it too late to start law school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
WWAD
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: When is it too late to start law school?

Postby WWAD » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:32 pm

I think if you are going to be in or close to your 40's when you graduate you to think about it differently. I don't think you are ever too old to go, but I know going in, I am in my 40's, that there will be associate jobs that will not be open to me. I decided very late in the cycle to apply and I know I want to go this year, so there are trade offs I am willing to make because of that. If you are in your early 30s you are not even close to too old. More than likely those around you wont even know. What is really the difference between 26 and 30 other than experience.

User avatar
Drake014
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: When is it too late to start law school?

Postby Drake014 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:42 pm

My wife and I are in the 26-30 range. When is it too late to persue your dreams?

--ImageRemoved--

At about that point. Otherwise, weigh your financial situation and decide what's right for you.

User avatar
legalease9
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: When is it too late to start law school?

Postby legalease9 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:48 pm

Drake014 wrote:My wife and I are in the 26-30 range. When is it too late to persue your dreams?

--ImageRemoved--

At about that point. Otherwise, weigh your financial situation and decide what's right for you.


YES! :lol:

You may find a challenge in that big-law firms will be wary of hiring a older person because of a fear that you won't even be a possible partner candidate. But your life experience will help you on the other hand. I say if you want it, go for it!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: When is it too late to start law school?

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:09 pm

newyorker88 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:damn what's with all these old people in law school


Define old.


30 or older


Not according to a 40 YO.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: When is it too late to start law school?

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:11 pm

legalease9 wrote:
You may find a challenge in that big-law firms will be wary of hiring a older person because of a fear that you won't even be a possible partner candidate. But your life experience will help you on the other hand. I say if you want it, go for it!


Any firm that doesn't hire me will be missing out on someone who can probably be three time as productive as someone right out of college. Their loss! I don't worry about it too much, never had much problem getting opportunities to move ahead in life.

User avatar
newyorker88
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: When is it too late to start law school?

Postby newyorker88 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:09 pm

r6_philly wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:damn what's with all these old people in law school


Define old.


30 or older


Not according to a 40 YO.


so?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: When is it too late to start law school?

Postby r6_philly » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:03 am

newyorker88 wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:damn what's with all these old people in law school


30 or older


Not according to a 40 YO.


so?


So there are really not "all these old people in law school". Because if there are really that many "old people" in law school, then many people in law school wouldn't consider law school to have that many "old people", and then there really aren't that many "old people" in law school.

see? :wink:




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest