personality match for lawyer?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jazzluvr

personality match for lawyer?

Postby jazzluvr » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:14 pm

In the darkness of my second (and third and fourth) thoughts about law school, I turned - where else? - to the internet to see try to ascertain whether I'm suited, personality-wise, to being a lawyer. Here is a quiz I found. The makers of the quiz say that even if you have only a couple of "yes" answers, you should reconsider, and if you have a handful, run like hell. I answered "yes" to all but four. Yegads. What do y'all think of this quiz?

Here are the Y/N items:

I consider myself a "feelings" oriented person; I dislike antagonism; I am terrified of public speaking; I prefer "nurturing" environments over "non-nurturing"; I would like a flexible career that provides plenty of free time; I would like a career that doesn't require me to take work home; I want to attend law school because it will better my chances of becoming gainfully employed; I am easily bored with "details"; I don't take criticism well; I don't like people who "game play"; I am a creative person; I want to work outdoors; I like to "see" the results of my work; I'm not very good at tolerating discomfort for long periods of time.

SteelReserve

Re: personality match for lawyer?

Postby SteelReserve » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:28 pm

Well each of those factors involves aspects of the job for sure; but for argument's sake let's ignore the debatable factors such as 'feelings' or antagonism.

Most definitely lawyers bring their work home with them, unless you become a career clerk.

Really a question you have to ask yourself is how much you enjoy non-creative writing and researching and if you could do it for anywhere from several to 8 or more hours every day.

If that doesn't appeal to you, lawyering is an awful fit. Lawyering involves paperwork above all; litigating and court room work is secondary, so you really need to love writing.

A good question would be, did you enjoy working on term papers in college?

tintin

Postby tintin » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:40 pm

SteelReserve wrote:Well each of those factors involves aspects of the job for sure; but for argument's sake let's ignore the debatable factors such as 'feelings' or antagonism.

Most definitely lawyers bring their work home with them, unless you become a career clerk.

Really a question you have to ask yourself is how much you enjoy non-creative writing and researching and if you could do it for anywhere from several to 8 or more hours every day.

If that doesn't appeal to you, lawyering is an awful fit. Lawyering involves paperwork above all; litigating and court room work is secondary, so you really need to love writing.

that is good news for me then

jazzluvr

Postby jazzluvr » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:18 pm

SteelReserve wrote:Well each of those factors involves aspects of the job for sure; but for argument's sake let's ignore the debatable factors such as 'feelings' or antagonism.

Yes, and I enjoy writing just about anything. In fact, I was a professional journalist for awhile. And as for conflict, I enjoy argument for the sake of argument for sure and often won't let go...(the problem is, I can dish it out better than I can take it. :-)

Postby 270910 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:04 pm

jazzluvr wrote: I enjoy argument for the sake of argument for sure and often won't let go...(the problem is, I can dish it out better than I can take it. :-)

Never, ever say this out loud to a lawyer. The "hurrrr I love to argue I'ma be a LAW-YUR" cliche makes the legal community's skin crawl. Doesn't mean it's inaccurate, but the gulf between "likes to argue" and "has or can develop strong lawyerly argumentation skill" is a miles-wide chasm.

jazzluvr

Postby jazzluvr » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:37 pm

disco_barred wrote:
jazzluvr wrote: I enjoy argument for the sake of argument for sure and often won't let go...(the problem is, I can dish it out better than I can take it. :-)

Never, ever say this out loud to a lawyer. The "hurrrr I love to argue I'ma be a LAW-YUR" cliche makes the legal community's skin crawl. Doesn't mean it's inaccurate, but the gulf between "likes to argue" and "has or can develop strong lawyerly argumentation skill" is a miles-wide chasm.

Yes, there's a chasm, but I did not jump over it. In fact, you are the one jumping to conclusions: I also have very good "argumentation skill."

(And don't tell me what to say and what not to say "to a lawyer" - are you one, by the way? thought not...)

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:52 pm

The other stuff did not matter but after seeing your response to disco you will suck hardcore in ls and beyond.

jazzluvr

Postby jazzluvr » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:11 pm

A'nold wrote:The other stuff did not matter but after seeing your response to disco you will suck hardcore in ls and beyond.

So will you. :-)

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:13 pm

I would argue that this profession needs more "feelings" oriented people who dislike antagonism. Strong lawyerly argumentation skill does not require animosity. In fact I would imagine that active animosity probably undermines one's ability to come up with cohesive arguments. As a creative feeling type who is going into law, I don't yet know how I'll feel about actual full time practice, but I have very much enjoyed the academic setting and my nonprofit internship. I reject the "feeling types cannot or should not be lawyers" line. So long as you also enjoy long hours of research and writing and are comfortable with the social aspects of the profession, I don't see why the first two qualities should make you unhappy or unsuccessful in this profession.

Also, please note that gratuitous trading of insults =/= strong lawyerly argumentation skill.

NerdmoD

Postby NerdmoD » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:14 pm

I also think it is important to point out that "lawyering" is a pretty broad field, and the types of people who excel at, say, criminal litigation can (and often do) have different personality traits that make them successful from those that are useful for non-litigant patent law.

jazzluvr

Postby jazzluvr » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:15 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
Also, please note that gratuitous trading of insults =/= strong lawyerly argumentation skill.

Agreed 100%. But turning the other cheek is not in my nature. :-)

mirpanda

Postby mirpanda » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:22 pm

jazzluvr wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:

Agreed 100%. But turning the other cheek is not in my nature. :-)

Depends on what cheek you're turning, eh? ;-)

jazzluvr

Postby jazzluvr » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:26 pm

mirpanda wrote: ;-)

:-)

Cactus

Postby Cactus » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:47 pm

jazzluvr wrote:
disco_barred wrote:

Yes, there's a chasm, but I did not jump over it. In fact, you are the one jumping to conclusions: I also have very good "argumentation skill."

(And don't tell me what to say and what not to say "to a lawyer" - are you one, by the way? thought not...)

poor argument

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:54 pm

Clearly, the only option here is to tell the OP they are perfectly suited to be a lawyer, then they will instinctively argue that they will not be a good lawyer, and we can back off with a deed well done.

dspit

Postby dspit » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:54 pm

jazzluvr wrote:In the darkness of my second (and third and fourth) thoughts about law school, I turned - where else? - to the internet to see try to ascertain whether I'm suited, personality-wise, to being a lawyer. Here is a quiz I found. The makers of the quiz say that even if you have only a couple of "yes" answers, you should reconsider, and if you have a handful, run like hell. I answered "yes" to all but four. Yegads. What do y'all think of this quiz?

Here are the Y/N items:

I consider myself a "feelings" oriented person; I dislike antagonism; I am terrified of public speaking; I prefer "nurturing" environments over "non-nurturing"; I would like a flexible career that provides plenty of free time; I would like a career that doesn't require me to take work home; I want to attend law school because it will better my chances of becoming gainfully employed; I am easily bored with "details"; I don't take criticism well; I don't like people who "game play"; I am a creative person; I want to work outdoors; I like to "see" the results of my work; I'm not very good at tolerating discomfort for long periods of time.

stop taking tests on facebook and/or myspace.

wocehtoom

Postby wocehtoom » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:56 pm

--ImageRemoved--

dspit

Postby dspit » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:57 pm

wocehtoom wrote:--ImageRemoved--

I LOVE TLS! :P

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:21 am

Good fit for lawyers: XNTX

Using the MBTI ([deleted] Briggs)

E/I: Extrovert/introvert. People think introverts can't be lawyers, but in fact 2/3 of lawyers are introverts. Either works.
N/S: Intuitive/Scientific. The practice of law is more of an art than a science I guess.
F/T: Feeling/Thinking. While the practice of law is more of an art than a science, you MUST be objective and emotionally detached to give good legal advice. I don't think that Feelers will necessarily be bad lawyers, but I think that thinkers are more suitable to being a lawyer.
J/P: Judging/Perceiving. Either works.

I'm an INTP.

http://www.mypersonality.info/personali ... s/careers/
Last edited by motiontodismiss on Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:29 am

When asking seemingly knowledgeable/successful people, I've gotten very mixed perspectives as to the type of people that law attracts (ranging roughly from the most intelligent/intellectual in society to self-loathing, introverted wannabe investment bankers). Oddly enough, finding reliable information about law students/school is difficult.

thisguy456

Postby thisguy456 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:41 am

holydonkey wrote:When asking seemingly knowledgeable/successful people, I've gotten very mixed perspectives as to the type of people that law attracts (ranging roughly from the most intelligent/intellectual in society to self-loathing, introverted wannabe investment bankers). Oddly enough, finding reliable information about law students/school is difficult.

Hah! TITCR

Flanker1067

Postby Flanker1067 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:51 am

thisguy456 wrote:
holydonkey wrote:When asking seemingly knowledgeable/successful people, I've gotten very mixed perspectives as to the type of people that law attracts (ranging roughly from the most intelligent/intellectual in society to self-loathing, introverted wannabe investment bankers). Oddly enough, finding reliable information about law students/school is difficult.

Hah! TITCR

I didn't quite get why this was so funny (obviously that guy was ridiculous) until someone made the video. Listening to that was too much. Anyway. Credited for bringing this up Donkey.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”