Civil Disobedience

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bedefan

Civil Disobedience

Postby bedefan » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:05 am

Hey all. I'm applying for law schools this fall. Two questions.

Background: two misdemeanors. They were part of planned protests, i.e. civil disobedience.

Question 1: I know people say that having a couple misdemeanors isn't a big deal, but does this hold true for HYS and Chicago and Berkeley as well? Not that I'd get in those places anyway. But I'm curious.

Question 2: Am I crazy to hold on to dreams of working for the government, given my civil disobedience? Thinking public defender or working for a regulatory body like the FTC or SEC...

Thanks.

edit: personal info removed
Last edited by bedefan on Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smalltown

Re: Civil Disobedience / top 5 / gov't jobs

Postby smalltown » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:31 am

We had somebody from the DOJ come by my school this week and he said arrests do not kill your chances, obviously depending on the severity of the alleged crime. But full disclosure is important. Yours don't seem that bad, but you could have a tight ass doing the hiring, but that's the same with any job.

It's important to remember that the fed public defender and the rest of the offices you mentioned are different teams. They operate differently and are not under the same authority. It sounds like you'd have a hard time being The Man. You may want to think about the ACLU, or something like that organization. If you do get into one of those top schools, you'd have a good shot at it. Just remember to keep an open mind about career when you get to school. You may be surprised at the wide array of areas.

McBean

Postby McBean » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:52 am

As for school; this is what addendum are for. It should not be a problem, especially if the protest was for something worthy, i.e. helping the disenfranchised, trying to be a voice for the voiceless, some crap like that.

As for career prospects, this might actually be a plus for PI jobs. I interviewed at a few PI places. PD's offices are full of bleeding heart, I love poor people, hippies in suits. A little bit too much for me and tad bit elitist. But they didn't care for me either and I ended up somewhere I actually fit. Anyways, the people I interviewed with would have eaten this civil disobedience crap up.

As for the gov't jobs you mentioned, I have no idea how this will play. It will likely vary from agency to agency. The EPA is likely to have a very different culture than the Commodity Futures Trading Commission for instance.

Also, despite what I said about PDs, I actually have a lot of respect for them. Extremely passionate about what they do, which is why your past CD might actually help.

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:07 pm

the CD might actually help you get into Berk.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:26 pm

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:the CD might actually help you get into Berk.

+1 And if it was directed at the military (i.e. you spit on a Marine) you'll get full scholarship.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:33 pm

Apply to NYU.

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:59 pm

Veyron wrote:Apply to NYU.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:05 pm

If you wanted to work for the government, maybe you should have thought twice about getting arrested, hippie.
:lol:

In all seriousness though, it probably won't hurt you in the background check if you are up front about it and that is all that is on your record. It also might depend on the agency.

bedefan

Postby bedefan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:41 am

Thanks a bunch everybody.

-

edit: personal info removed

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”