Texas School Choice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Texas school?

South Texas
9%
Baylor
6%
Houston
53%
SMU
32%

Total votes: 79

Mce252

Re: Texas School Choice

Postby Mce252 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:38 pm

What's your LSAT? And do you live in Texas?

Because of reasons that would take a lot longer to explain than I care to spend typing, I don't tell anyone my LSAT score. I'll just say that I'm pretty sure I will NOT get into UT. However, I am as sure as I can possibly be about acceptance into STCL and I have a decent shot at UH/Baylor/SMU.

This is all according to LSN and the Predictor.

Although not a major metropolitan area, I will be working for the Brazos County DA this summer. I also have very good connections to the current DA in Houston.
Last edited by Mce252 on Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:42 pm

Mce252 wrote:
What's your LSAT? And do you live in Texas?

Because of reasons that would take a lot longer to explain than I care to spend typing, I don't tell anyone my LSAT score. I'll just say that I'm pretty sure I will NOT get into UT. However, I am as sure as I can possibly be about acceptance into STCL and I have a decent shot at UH/Baylor/SMU.

This is all according to LSN and the Predictor.

How about a nice range?

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:44 pm

How about a nice range?

155-165

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:46 pm

JordynAsh wrote:How about a nice range?

Awesome 'tar.

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:50 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
JordynAsh wrote:How about a nice range?

Awesome 'tar.

Thanks! Wish it was my dog, because it might be the cutest evar.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:41 pm

Mce252 wrote:
How about a nice range?

155-165

Ridiculous concerns about revealing it aside, if it's closer to the upper end, you're in at SMU and probably UofH with money.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:49 pm

Mce252 wrote:I also have very good connections to the current DA in Houston.

If this is honestly true, it may not matter that much where you go. Connections >>> everything. Just work hard and get good grades so they have an excuse to hire you, and work that network as hard as you can.
Last edited by vanwinkle on Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:50 pm

kalvano wrote:
Mce252 wrote:
How about a nice range?

155-165

Ridiculous concerns about revealing it aside, if it's closer to the upper end, you're in at SMU and probably UofH with money.

I said nice range, not really large range. 3 pts or so.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:02 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Mce252 wrote:I also have very good connections to the current DA in Houston.

If this is honestly true, it may not matter that much where you go. Connections >>> everything. Just work hard and get good grades so they have an excuse to hire you, and work that network as hard as you can.

I'll echo most of this.

Also, I don't mean this in a condescending manner, but if you know Pat Lykos I'd imagine she would probably be your best source for this question.

Are you just worried that because she's a STCL grad she might steer you in that direction just because she went there?

Ginger1492

Postby Ginger1492 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:14 pm

I just went through the application process as a Texas resident and this is how it turned out for me.

165 LSAT w/ 3.92 GPA
Baylor, accepted with full scholarship
Houston, accepted with no scholarship
Texas, waitlisted (still waiting on the dream)

I didn't apply to SMU or STCL. No particular reason.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:15 pm

Ginger1492 wrote:I just went through the application process as a Texas resident and this is how it turned out for me.

165 LSAT w/ 3.92 GPA

:shock:

If you don't get in off the WL, retake and reapply! Even a few more LSAT points and you ought to get into Texas.

Also, it's sad that UH didn't give you any money. With those stats, that's either a big "we don't care where you go" sign or a bit "we're broke" sign.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:19 pm

Are you just worried that because she's a STCL grad she might steer you in that direction just because she went there?

No, not really. I just wanted some more opinion.

I know, it does seem ridiculous. I just haven't told any of my family, friends, or girlfriend. I don't like being compared to others that I'm close to and are going through the admissions process. It automatically stirs the "oh you did better/worse than..." comments and I'm just not a big fan of that sort of conversation. I realize that this has nothing to do with an online forum but it's just the principle. Sorry for the ambiguity.

I said nice range, not really large range. 3 pts or so.

See above.

I hope you're right.
Last edited by Mce252 on Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:23 pm

Ginger1492 wrote:I just went through the application process as a Texas resident and this is how it turned out for me.

165 LSAT w/ 3.92 GPA

Did you apply late? If so, consider reapplying this fall. Those stats + residency should put you solidly in the running for UT as a September EA applicant. At the very least, it should get you money from UH.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:23 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

165 LSAT w/ 3.92 GPA

:shock:

If you don't get in off the WL, retake and reapply! Even a few more LSAT points and you ought to get into Texas.

Also, it's sad that UH didn't give you any money. With those stats, that's either a big "we don't care where you go" sign or a bit "we're broke" sign.

UH really just doesn't give out alot of money because I don't think they have alot to give. A 168 LSAT would probably get you in at Texas with $$. I'm also surprised you didn't apply to SMU. I'm not totally familiar with what opportunities your stats provide, but I think they would have given you a good scholarship.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:26 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:but I think they would have given you a good scholarship.

Better than half tuition. I got $22K with 3.2 GPA and a 164 LSAT. It'd be a lot money.

colemf

Postby colemf » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:13 pm

Well if you go to A&M, as i do (At least until graduation in Aug. at which time ill be heading to Notre Dame), then you should look into the A&M-Baylor Law full Scholarship which 3 aggies get every year, If you don't get a full ride to Baylor I would say go to UH or SMU based on the debt you'll have and what city you want to be an ADA in.

sjg64

Postby sjg64 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:53 pm

Have you ever been to Waco, really? Let's pretend it's not even on the list. Then we will discount SMU, if you want to live in Houston, don't go to school in Dallas if you have two Houston options. Unless something about SMU just excites you greatly, no.

UH and STCL are both in Houston and both workable options for what you think you want to do. Visit them, figure out the financial details, and decide between them. I would go to UH over STCL, but I don't want to be a Houston prosecutor, so that's not worth a great deal. If I did, I would look hard at STCL's program. I have heard good things. If you have connections already, maybe you should just go to whichever one strikes your fancy if you visit or costs less when you do the math.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:37 pm

Have you ever been to Waco, really? Let's pretend it's not even on the list.

Haha, I have heard such radically different things about Baylor that I don't really know what to think. Some say that you come out extremely prepared for court and others say that it's not worth a lot of the extra work you put in there. Regardless, Waco is a pretty terrible place to live.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:48 pm

Mce252 wrote:Regardless, Waco is a pretty terrible place to live.

Says someone who (presumably) lives in College Station.

That's right. Hook 'em. :)

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:55 pm

I've got nothing...

Give us a couple decades and I'll try to find a suitable picture as a response.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:10 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
TCS wrote:
Mce252 wrote:I am hoping to work as a prosecutor in Houston after law school. Assuming I am accepted to the above schools, which would you suggest attending and why?

Texas native bringing the CR.

Houston, SMU, and Baylor would all be decent choices, but it kind of sounds like you should be looking into STCL. STCL is an excellent trial advocacy school and I'm told that a large number of lawyers working in the Houston DA's office are STCL alums.

I would not be paying attention to the USNWR-whores telling you that the obvious answer is Texas, SMU, or UH, simply based on ranking. Any of those schools would give you a good shot to fulfill your goals, but STCL, despite being a TTT, seems more tailored to your objectives.

Baylor deserves a look, if you can tolerate living in Waco for three years. I know I couldn't.

I'd rank them

1. STCL -- specific strength in your area of interest, strong local pull
2. Houston -- strong alumni base and local pull
(2b. Texas -- best overall school; statewide pull)
3. Baylor -- specific strength in your area of interest; but in Waco
4. SMU -- solid school, but feeds primarily into the Dallas market

First, LOL at someone advising a 0L to choose a school based on what type of law they think they might want to practice before they even set foot in a substantive law class.

So you're willing to use a term like "TTT" to describe STCL in comparison to UT, SMU, UofH and Baylor? A term that (in almost every conceivable instance) refers to the same USNWR rankings you accuse the other posters in this thread of whoring ourselves out to? Fail.

Moreover, if you reference my post above, you'll see the part where I recommend the OP go to UofH over SMU, and SMU/STCL over Baylor. That's recommending the 60th ranked school over the 48th ranked school, and a "TTT" at the same level as the highest ranked school (48th) in the OP's choices above. And then I have the audacity to recommend a TTT over the 64th ranked school? Blatant rankings-whoring. :roll:

Further, advocating STCL's trial advocacy program over PC at Baylor? :shock: That's about the only thing Baylor has going for it. Sounds like some not-so-subtle USNWR specialty rankings trolling on your part.

Finally, based someone telling you "large numbers of lawyers working in the Houston DA's office are STCL alums." Really? Because of anecdotal advice, you're willing to instruct a 0L to make a potentially career-defining choice? I have no doubt the numbers exist to support your assertion that large numbers of STCL students end up at the Harris County DA's office. At least try to find them out before casually advising anonymous people on the internet where to go to law school.

Why so defensive?

I'm not going to do OP's research for him. I can point him in the right direction, but honestly I don't give a rat's ass if he goes to UH, STCL, or Cooley. If he makes a decision based solely on my anecdotal evidence, then he's going to make a bad lawyer and deserves every ounce of fail that life hands him.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:20 pm

kalvano wrote:
TCS wrote:1. STCL -- specific strength in your area of interest, strong local pull

Really? Over every choice in this thread, at sticker? Fail.

Houston is a good choice for OP, but overpriced for what it is. Baylor is in Waco. SMU feeds almost exclusively into Dallas.

QED

kalvano wrote:
TCS wrote:2. Houston -- strong alumni base and local pull

This should be #1, since it happens to be in the city where the OP wants to work and feeds that direct market. You know, kind of important.

How important?

TCS wrote:
TCS wrote:(2b. Texas -- best overall school; statewide pull)

Did you really rank Texas as the #3 choice? Wow. Just wow.

RC fail?

kalvano wrote:
TCS wrote:3. Baylor -- specific strength in your area of interest; but in Waco

Should be last on the list. STCL comes before Baylor.

Baylor is a really, really good school for trial ad, and puts out quality lawyers. If it weren't located in Whacko, TX, people would actually go to it if they had a choice.

kalvano wrote:
TCS wrote:4. SMU -- solid school, but feeds primarily into the Dallas market

Yes, it primarily feeds Dallas, just as UofH primarily feeds Houston. But it's still a very well-respected school over all of Texas. OP would have much more luck in Houston with an SMU degree than a Baylor or STCL.

Maybe if op wants biglaw... but he doesn't. If you want to be a trial lawyer, you go to STCL. If you want to be a business criminal, you go to SMU.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:20 pm

Well I'm really glad all of this came out. I was really considering printing out your post as a model and moving to North Korea during the applications process.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:23 pm

I think I've received all the opinion I need for the time being. Thanks for the help. Anecdotal or not, I can fend for myself. Thanks everyone.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:23 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
ec2xs wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:Where is the "none of the above" option?

No need for this. These are the options for almost every student rejected from UT that wants to stay in Texas. No need to be smug.

He said "assume sticker at each". With all of these schools, weighing them at sticker at least warrants weighing them against your options for not attending. These schools cost a lot of money to attend, and despite Texas' relative economic strength right now, it's still difficult for a lot of people there to find decent work when they graduate. It would be irresponsible ITE to not at least discuss the possibility of not attending instead of attending one of these schools at sticker.

I also loved the poster who referred to people recommending U of H as "rankings whores". I gave very specific, sound reasons for going to U of H regarding OP's career opportunities, and if OP changes his mind or can't get hired by his dream employer, he'll have more alternative employment options at U of H than he would at South Texas.

South Texas is clearly NOT TCR here. The school is such a huge risk at sticker that it's not worth it. As other posters have said, with scholarship at South Texas it'd be different, but under "assume sticker at each" TCR for OP is U of H, if anywhere at all.

Advocating SMU over any school would be rankings whoring. That was what I was referring to, primarily. Secondarily, I was referring to those who were choosing Houston simply because they understand it to be the highest-ranked school in the regional market... without considering the particular circumstances of this individual.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”