Reapplying Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bk1

Diamond

Reapplying

Post by bk1 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:37 pm

So I didn't spend enough time on applying to law school and am most likely going to reapply and was wondering about the pro's and con's (or at least what hurts and what helps).

1. Reapplying - If things change, i.e. large increase in LSAT score, applying much earlier, etc, are schools more likely to reject again because they have before? My mind says no because they care merely about their own numbers and if a score has gone up who cares if they rejected you previously, but somehow it still feels like it might hurt my chances. I understand that this is something I cannot change but was wondering if it was a small ding on reapps.

2. Personal/Diversity Statement - Should I rewrite? I am thinking yes because the schools have my old app on file and it honestly could not hurt to rewrite it, it can only help me in my mind. Also, someone said that an admissions officer stated that not rewriting hurt a lot of reapps.

3. LOR's - I have 2 LOR's from professors that I got in January of this year. Can I use them if I apply for the 2011 incoming class? Will I need to resubmit them to LSAC? Is it okay to use the same ones on a reapp? Hypothetically if I were to apply later, for the incoming class of 2012, would it be okay to use the same ones?

Thanks.

lmarie81

New

Re: Reapplying

Post by lmarie81 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:00 pm

I am considering doing the same thing. I am not sure about LORs but I would rewrite all your essays. I spoke to a couple of law schools and they said they reference the previous year's file when someone reapplies and if they haven't rewritten the PS etc. then it reflects poorly. Just my .02.

Best of luck!!

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:52 am

I asked a similar topic a while ago and I was told to rewrite my PS. I think your LOR's are fine, though. I don't think a school can expect you to get brand new LOR's for a new cycle.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:14 pm

shock259 wrote:I asked a similar topic a while ago and I was told to rewrite my PS. I think your LOR's are fine, though. I don't think a school can expect you to get brand new LOR's for a new cycle.
That is the feeling I have gotten as well.

Anyone have thoughts on my first question?

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:17 pm

I believe if you search TLS, you will find much anecdotal evidence of those who reapplied to schools that they were rejected to in a previous cycle, and were accepted due a change in a significant factor (LSAT, GPA possibly...).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:03 pm

booboo wrote:I believe if you search TLS, you will find much anecdotal evidence of those who reapplied to schools that they were rejected to in a previous cycle, and were accepted due a change in a significant factor (LSAT, GPA possibly...).
Much appreciated, this is the feeling I got but it is just difficult to assuage that feeling that filling out the "already been rejected by you" box is going to hurt.

Thanks to all the answers in this thread.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:18 pm

Reading through the Northwestern application it says reapplicants "submit a full application, including an updated personal statement and a new letter of recommendation." The new PS doesn't bother me but a new letter of rec does. I do not currently work and do not know any of my professors well enough other than the 2 I already have submitted as LOR's. Any thoughts on this?

EDIT: Michigan recommends new LOR's and PS but doesn't require it. The new LOR thing has me worried.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”