disclosure please help!!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
wizard5

disclosure please help!!

Postby wizard5 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:12 pm

hey guys! im in a situation. how do you guys think the following things will impact my chances of getting in to schools like vandy, bc, bu, fordham, iowa etc. in the future

1) during my sophmore year, i received an F for a course on the account of plagarism. i had to submit an essay on a deadline. when i ran out of time, i simply submitted the paper without doing the citations because i panicked (i was scared of the professor for submitting it late). obviosuly, i sincerely regret this mistake.
2) during my freshman year, i received a civil ticket (fine) for not paying the bus fare. i had a monthly pass but i didn't use it that day as i was in a rush to get to school for a test. i would have missed the bus had i tryed to get the ticket first. another bad choice.
3) also during freshman year, i was caught shoplifting at a store. the value of thing i stole was like $2 but i had to pay a civil fine. no police was involved.

i have since graduated college. obviously, i wish i could go back and change the past but i can't. i deeply regret these decisions and they're in my thoughts nearly everyday. its been my dream to go to law school since I was young but i'm afraid these things will severely hurt me. as far as my numbers go, i have a 3.75 including the F, 3.84 without the F. i have a 169 lsat. as far as softs go, i worked all throughout undergrad and participated in various clubs relating to my major. these mistakes have severely affected my psychologically as I think about these transgressions nearly everyday and i realize i can't do anything to change them. taking all this into consideration, what are my chances for those schools? thanks.

jks289

Re: disclosure please help!!

Postby jks289 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:18 pm

Ok, relax. You have a 3.7, 169. You will get into an excellent law school. You made a few stupid choices, but nothing that raises significant red flags. You need to decide what to disclosure. Obviously the plagiarism is the biggest issue. Write a very clear, concise addendum. State that you did not include proper citations in a paper and received a failing grade, say you are disappointed in yourself but in no way attempted to pass the work of other off as your own and have now learned the importance of correct citation. If you were never arrested or charged with any crime (I don't know exactly what you mean by civil fine) then you don't need to disclose. If you were arrested, then you need to write a straightforward account of what happened. Leave out excuses and express contrition and maturity.

This is going to be fine. None of these issues will keep you out of law school, and you will be looking at some really great acceptance this time next year. Good luck!

wizard5

Postby wizard5 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:21 pm

there were no arrests or anything like that. some apps say you should include citations. thats why i was worried. but thank you so much for the help. i really appreciate it.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:28 pm

wizard5 wrote:there were no arrests or anything like that. some apps say you should include citations. thats why i was worried. but thank you so much for the help. i really appreciate it.

Follow what the app says. If it says citation, disclose. I think if it says arrest you don't need to, but there are people on this site who disagree with that. If you are really concerned just disclose it all. I really, really doubt any of this stuff is going to be a problem with those numbers. I personally think DUIs are a much bigger deal (serious potential harm to others), and they don't appear to hurt people at all. Stealing a $2 dollar item and not paying for a bus ticket.... honestly who would care about that?

The bottom line is don't spend the next year worrying about this. It is not a big deal.

swimbrad

Postby swimbrad » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:33 pm

you'll be fine...

be sure to explain the plagiarism though

as for the other two, you don't need to make excuses, if you need to disclose them just give the facts

wizard5

Postby wizard5 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:48 pm

thanks so much for alleviating my fears guys. i really mean it.

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:50 pm

Yeah, you'll be fine at the schools you named, possibly even at better ones. The plagiarism thing might trigger an auto-reject at some school if it strikes a nerve with a particular admissions officer (I suspect this happened to me, not for plagiarism, but for something just as dumb), but I think that reaction will not be the norm. They just want to be convinced that you are coming completely clean about the fact that shit happened, you've learned from those experiences, and you absolutely won't do anything that stupid ever again. Your gpa and LSAT are both solid. Just disclose the facts of each incident (no need to explain what you were thinking at the time), and you should be good.

Bert

Postby Bert » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:00 pm

I pretty much agree with JKS, but I don't know how much I agree with claiming that you in "no way attempted to pass the work of [an]other off as your own," as you did -- you failed to give proper credit to the original author of the text/idea. Your addendum should focus more on the fact that you merely did not include proper citations in the finished paper or that you omitted the citations page when you handed in the finished paper, and that you were failed because of that omission, rather than being made aware of it and being given the opportunity to print out the extra couple pages.

Just don't get caught doing anything too stupid this year.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:01 pm

Isn't your sophmore year like 2 years ago?

jks289

Postby jks289 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:10 pm

Bert wrote:I pretty much agree with JKS, but I don't know how much I agree with claiming that you in "no way attempted to pass the work of [an]other off as your own," as you did -- you failed to give proper credit to the original author of the text/idea. Your addendum should focus more on the fact that you merely did not include proper citations in the finished paper or that you omitted the citations page when you handed in the finished paper, and that you were failed because of that omission, rather than being made aware of it and being given the opportunity to print out the extra couple pages.

I read the original post as saying the OP had turned in a paper without proper citation as in a citation page, assuming quotes were attributed within the paper. Upon further reading, you may be right that is was a more serious infraction. Obviously, OP should write an addendum that reflects whatever the reality is.

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:10 pm

Bert wrote:I pretty much agree with JKS, but I don't know how much I agree with claiming that you in "no way attempted to pass the work of [an]other off as your own," as you did -- you failed to give proper credit to the original author of the text/idea. Your addendum should focus more on the fact that you merely did not include proper citations in the finished paper or that you omitted the citations page when you handed in the finished paper, and that you were failed because of that omission, rather than being made aware of it and being given the opportunity to print out the extra couple pages.

+1 good advice

wizard5

Postby wizard5 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:38 pm

yea, the situation was such that i did not do the citations. normally, i do the citations at the end but because of the time limit, i just sent the paper in a panick attack and got penalized as a result of the omissions. regardless, i will write an addendum explaining the incident in its entirety and how i sincerely regret it and have learned from it. once again, thankss for being helpful!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”