who else is excited beyond belief for LS

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
prezidentv8

Re: who else is excited beyond belief for LS

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:43 am

adh07d wrote:
A'nold wrote:
Allright. We meet at high noon next fall. What school will this be at?

Well you go to UVA and I go to Emory, so let's split the difference and battle it out on Duke's front lawn.

Stay off my lawn you crazy kids!

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:44 am

I'm going to die alone. In CHINA.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:46 am

Pearalegal wrote:I'm going to die alone. In CHINA.

That is nothing compared to my problem. I've just been challenged to a ls duel at Duke when I don't even go to UVA!

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:49 am

A'nold wrote:

That is nothing compared to my problem. I've just been challenged to a ls duel at Duke when I don't even go to UVA!

shoot, where do you go to school? And why isn't that school UVA?

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:53 am

adh07d wrote:
A'nold wrote:

Freak man, I'm tryin'! What's a guy got to do to transfer? I'm at the top of my class and GULC's all "meh, A'nold sucks man." What is UVA going to say, huh? You'll be going to your fancy Emory and I'll be all trying to t3 my ass over there. What, should we meet in freaking Wyoming then?

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:54 am

A'nold wrote:

* sob *

I don't know what to order for room service and the PRINTER KEEPS BEEPING. I'VE NAMED HIM BLINKY.

GOING TO DIE ALL ALONE IN CHINA.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:56 am

A'nold wrote:
adh07d wrote:
A'nold wrote:

Freak man, I'm tryin'! What's a guy got to do to transfer? I'm at the top of my class and GULC's all "meh, A'nold sucks man." What is UVA going to say, huh? You'll be going to your fancy Emory and I'll be all trying to t3 my ass over there. What, should we meet in freaking Wyoming then?

Wyoming it is then, meet me in wheat field #1548, by the old oak tree, 10 paces and then we draw.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:16 am

Pearalegal wrote:
A'nold wrote:

* sob *

I don't know what to order for room service and the PRINTER KEEPS BEEPING. I'VE NAMED HIM BLINKY.

You can't die all alone, you have blinky w/ you!

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:17 am

A'nold wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
A'nold wrote:

* sob *

You can't die all alone, you have blinky w/ you!

My body is both confused and upset about the fact that its sunny out.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:21 am

A'nold wrote:
adh07d wrote:
A'nold wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:

Wyoming it is then, meet me in wheat field #1548, by the old oak tree, 10 paces and then we draw.

Crim law hypo......10 issues.......GO!

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:12 pm

I'm very excited about moving and meeting new friends. On the other hand, I'm scared I'll never find a job that I like as much as the current one.

TheSharklord

Postby TheSharklord » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:38 pm

I'm looking forward to a much better start than what I had in undergrad. =)

jbjb1

Postby jbjb1 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:38 pm

law school isn't too bad, but wait till you do an internship....you won't be so bubbly after that.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:40 pm

jbjb1 wrote:law school isn't too bad, but wait till you do an internship....you won't be so bubbly after that.

?

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:40 pm

After 7 years of being a teacher, I am glad to finally do what I always wanted to do. I am happy that I decided to not put off my dreams anymore. I have already ready "Introduction to the Study and Practice of Law," and I am starting "PLanet Law School."

LoveXOXO

Postby LoveXOXO » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:09 pm

You are all a bunch of fucking idiots. You don't need to go 100-200K into debt to meet new people and move to a new city to get a graduate degree that is essentially worthless unless it is from a Top 6 law school. You literally do not learn how to do anything that an actual practicing attorney knows how to do. All you will do is read, outline, and shit yourself come exam time, all while bleeding money to pay for your law school and its professors (making $200K/yr teaching shitheads) who were smart enough to get out of private practice while they could.
Last edited by LoveXOXO on Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:23 pm

Ban.

OL's: do not listen to this moron.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:29 pm

LoveXOXO wrote:stuff

--ImageRemoved--

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:36 pm

A'nold, I respect you and I'll take your word for it, but its hard not to be pretty concerned when you hear things like that. Scares the shit outta me, tbh.

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:49 pm

A'nold, I respect you and I'll take your word for it, but its hard not to be pretty concerned when you hear things like that. Scares the shit outta me, tbh.

To be honest, there were exaggerations and some hard and fast rules he outlined that really aren't hard and fast, but the general point of his post was highly accurate.

As a 2L, most of this thread was full of LOL for me (and a few others). When I read the headline 'who is excited beyond belief' about LS I literally sighed, shook my head in disgust at the fact that I was once that very person, closed my computer and took a long walk to clear my head.

The simple fact is that for a great many people posting here, law school will end up being a tremendous mistake, whether in terms of stress, opportunity cost, job prospects, debt, or simply disliking the work.

Some will do fine with it, but all you need to do is redirect your 'excitement' towards this thread, about a top of the class T6 student who is suffering: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=115552

Not a single person here is going to have that sort of rank and status; that poster 'won the law school game' and now he's realizing that winning the law school game is to wear a crown of shit.

rando

Postby rando » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:23 pm

SteelReserve wrote:

To be honest, there were exaggerations and some hard and fast rules he outlined that really aren't hard and fast, but the general point of his post was highly accurate.

As a 2L, most of this thread was full of LOL for me (and a few others). When I read the headline 'who is excited beyond belief' about LS I literally sighed, shook my head in disgust at the fact that I was once that very person, closed my computer and took a long walk to clear my head.

The simple fact is that for a great many people posting here, law school will end up being a tremendous mistake, whether in terms of stress, opportunity cost, job prospects, debt, or simply disliking the work.

Some will do fine with it, but all you need to do is redirect your 'excitement' towards this thread, about a top of the class T6 student who is suffering: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=115552

Not a single person here is going to have that sort of rank and status; that poster 'won the law school game' and now he's realizing that winning the law school game is to wear a crown of shit.

People battling their own internal demons should not deter future students from entering law school. Most people I know are happy with their decision to enter law school. Granted, there are some people who are not. But for god sakes stop making it out to be this haven of misery like the above blogs posted or autoadmit does.

You should never go to law school without weighing the costs of attendance, how you are going to pay off loans, why you want to be a lawyer etc. But if you have weighed those things and are making a well thought out decision, then by all means I think you should go to law school. There are going to be miserable, dissatisfied people in any profession or walk of life. And they will do their best to push that mentality onto newcomers so they can feel better about their own poor decisions. I suggest future law students not listening to them (or adcomms and admissions deans for that matter) when making their future career decisions.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:33 pm

SteelReserve wrote:

It's all relative. TTON is having a sort of law school midlife crisis...how does that represent most law students?

Let me rephrase my point in more direct terms: If you are going into ls for the $ and power, there is a BIG chance you will hate your decision to attend, even if you land a 160k prestigeous biglaw gig out of school. It is not all it is cracked up to be. If you are going to law school b/c you love challenging, intellectual stimulation and want an interesting career OR have a purpose such as becoming a prosecutor, judge, DOJ attorney, JAG, etc. you will likely love your choice.

Another thing: if you are straight from UG and have 0 WE, you often have no freaking clue what it is like out there. Many of the biglaw "omgz I hate my life" posts you see are b/c these people came straight out of UG and have no idea how hard the work force can be, mentally and physically, and no idea what it is to devote a significant portion of your life to something you do not enjoy. Of course you will be miserable.

Posters like the dude above (if you notice, they always have <50 posts and are usually new) are JDU and xoxo trolls that think they have a mission to crap on everyone and convince them out of ls as a career b/c they are unhappy and they buy into the JDU hype b/c their lives suck. That's their fault. Something they forget to mention when they tell you to instead go to trade school to be a plumber is that 1. unless you start your own plumbing business, there is a strict salary ceiling and 2. you clean shit all day crawling in freezing temperatures under people's houses with asshole bosses and work long hours and they wish everyday they could have a job like their brother-in-law attorney w/ the respect he gets and the cush office job. It's all relative. People universally think teaching in public schools is like the easiest, most cake job ever, yet how many teachers do you see on here just chomping at the bit to start ls? These JDU clowns are ridiculous and I feel badly that they freak so many OL's out that don't know any better from lack of experience.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:40 pm

A'nold wrote:smart stuff.

I concur.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:30 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:However, the classes might be marginally less interesting that watching paint dry. Maybe it's just me, but I don't find the material intellectually stimulating (esp. when compared to science and engineering). It's just voluminous and overwhelming. This could also be true only for 1L classes - my patent law elective was fun and interesting.

Depends on the class but in general, my view is that:

-Material itself isn't very hard as a general matter.
-Interest in materials varies by class and topic.
-When the material is boring, it's horrible BECAUSE of the volume.
-Classes are interesting, when you're interested in the class material (slightly redundant but you catch my drift).
-Classes are boring when you really don't care (e.g. me in crim).
-Law school teaching and grading systems are incomprehensibly stupid (personal opinion).
-I'm tired of studying crim law.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:31 pm

A'nold wrote:
SteelReserve wrote:

It's all relative. TTON is having a sort of law school midlife crisis...how does that represent most law students?

Let me rephrase my point in more direct terms: If you are going into ls for the $ and power, there is a BIG chance you will hate your decision to attend, even if you land a 160k prestigeous biglaw gig out of school. It is not all it is cracked up to be. If you are going to law school b/c you love challenging, intellectual stimulation and want an interesting career OR have a purpose such as becoming a prosecutor, judge, DOJ attorney, JAG, etc. you will likely love your choice.

Another thing: if you are straight from UG and have 0 WE, you often have no freaking clue what it is like out there. Many of the biglaw "omgz I hate my life" posts you see are b/c these people came straight out of UG and have no idea how hard the work force can be, mentally and physically, and no idea what it is to devote a significant portion of your life to something you do not enjoy. Of course you will be miserable.

Posters like the dude above (if you notice, they always have <50 posts and are usually new) are JDU and xoxo trolls that think they have a mission to crap on everyone and convince them out of ls as a career b/c they are unhappy and they buy into the JDU hype b/c their lives suck. That's their fault. Something they forget to mention when they tell you to instead go to trade school to be a plumber is that 1. unless you start your own plumbing business, there is a strict salary ceiling and 2. you clean shit all day crawling in freezing temperatures under people's houses with asshole bosses and work long hours and they wish everyday they could have a job like their brother-in-law attorney w/ the respect he gets and the cush office job. It's all relative. People universally think teaching in public schools is like the easiest, most cake job ever, yet how many teachers do you see on here just chomping at the bit to start ls? These JDU clowns are ridiculous and I feel badly that they freak so many OL's out that don't know any better from lack of experience.

I think this comprises a huge segment of the student body, but not all regret attending law school, esp. when coupled with a desire to do something in particular. But I guess than can fall into the second bolded part. However, I don't think it needs to PI/government. There are lots of interesting things in biglaw (even outside of patents ;) ).

However, the classes might be marginally less interesting that watching paint dry. Maybe it's just me, but I don't find the material intellectually stimulating (esp. when compared to science and engineering). It's just voluminous and overwhelming. This could also be true only for 1L classes - my patent law elective was fun and interesting.

I have to admit, some of the reason I went to law school was for the law school experience itself. You already undertook a very challenging course of study and I can see why it's like, "c'mon, let's get this crap over with." Plus, you are not a dumb like me that needs to work out the thinkin' side of the brain. :wink:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”