who else is excited beyond belief for LS

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
A'nold

Re: who else is excited beyond belief for LS

Postby A'nold » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:31 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
A'nold wrote:smart stuff.

I concur.

Lol, thanks.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:02 pm

romothesavior wrote:A'nold, I respect you and I'll take your word for it, but its hard not to be pretty concerned when you hear things like that. Scares the shit outta me, tbh.

I second that...

Frank

Postby Frank » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:53 pm

Last edited by Frank on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twanx

Postby twanx » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:55 pm

SteelReserve wrote:
A'nold, I respect you and I'll take your word for it, but its hard not to be pretty concerned when you hear things like that. Scares the shit outta me, tbh.

To be honest, there were exaggerations and some hard and fast rules he outlined that really aren't hard and fast, but the general point of his post was highly accurate.

As a 2L, most of this thread was full of LOL for me (and a few others). When I read the headline 'who is excited beyond belief' about LS I literally sighed, shook my head in disgust at the fact that I was once that very person, closed my computer and took a long walk to clear my head.

The simple fact is that for a great many people posting here, law school will end up being a tremendous mistake, whether in terms of stress, opportunity cost, job prospects, debt, or simply disliking the work.

Some will do fine with it, but all you need to do is redirect your 'excitement' towards this thread, about a top of the class T6 student who is suffering: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=115552

Not a single person here is going to have that sort of rank and status; that poster 'won the law school game' and now he's realizing that winning the law school game is to wear a crown of shit.

This is highly credited.

Listen, I'm a 2L. I've actually really enjoyed law school the past two years, and you know what? I won. I was one of the few at my T40 school to get a biglaw SA this upcoming summer. To put it more bluntly, I was one of the few to get a job, period. Let alone one that pays.

If you haven't signed your life away already I implore you to just think about it. I was in your shoes not too long ago, but long enough where the world was a different place. The bottom dropped out of the world about three weeks after I started when some (troubled) but still major firms started imploding. When I was applying for schools top 30% would make you highly safe within the T50, these days you better be at a T6 or be in the top 5% of your class.

If you get a full scholarship, go for it! If you don't, just take a moment and close your eyes and put yourself in your shoes three years from now. Odds are you won't be in the top 20% of your class, as only 1/5 will (no, you are not special, and the odds are as good for you as anyone else). You won't have a job lined up. You're looking at $4500 in expenses to take the bar (BAR/BRI, bar exam, fees, C&F, etc.) This is on top of the $150k in loans you have that will come due in November, just after the 10 or 20 students at your school who got biglaw start drawing checks. They'll burn out in 3 or 4 years, but they'll have no debt. You? You're on the student lender's gravy train for the next 25 years.

The legal market has fundamentally changed. Schools keep getting more expensive, loan interest rates are abysmally high, and the job market isn't likely to recover for many many years. Sure, it's unlikely we'll see another firm implode, but it's also unlikely that we'll see enough activity to bring in bigger class sizes. Many firms have cut their summer sizes by 40%, 60% or even 70% over the past couple of years.

Don't want to go to biglaw? No problem. You won't get the salary to pay off your loans, but there is always IBR and public interest work right? Not really. The great deal that biglaw has cut with a lot of public interest is probably here to stay. Why would they hire you when they can get someone who is (frankly) likely to be brighter than you, and costs them nothing as the firm covers their salary.

But what about government? Have you seen the budget deficits states are running these days? This sector lags behind the economy, and there is a lot of talk about layoffs just now starting at DA and AG offices. They're just not looking to hire young blood right now.

But you could win the lottery. You could get biglaw or a sweet gig at the DOJ or SEC. But odds are you won't. And you'll be staring at your email and phone when Sallie Mae starts calling wondering why you haven't paid them in two months. That is, if you could get the bar loan to cover expenses for BAR/BRI, and you know, pass the bar.

Odds of me getting banned for this? 50-50. But I'd like to point out that I was neither abusive nor unduly pessimistic. I also understand that many of you will read this and shake your heads and say "That won't be me." I was one of you. But like I said, the world is different now compared to two years ago. Just give it some thought.

fornicator

Postby fornicator » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:57 pm

get out while you still can. you all sound so dough-eyed and innocent. you will regret it.

express01

Postby express01 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:37 pm

umm. why did you guys ban that guy? He said everything that's true. Even a lot of Stone Scholars would agree with what he said.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:41 pm

A'nold wrote:
SteelReserve wrote:
A'nold, I respect you and I'll take your word for it, but its hard not to be pretty concerned when you hear things like that. Scares the shit outta me, tbh.

To be honest, there were exaggerations and some hard and fast rules he outlined that really aren't hard and fast, but the general point of his post was highly accurate.

As a 2L, most of this thread was full of LOL for me (and a few others). When I read the headline 'who is excited beyond belief' about LS I literally sighed, shook my head in disgust at the fact that I was once that very person, closed my computer and took a long walk to clear my head.

The simple fact is that for a great many people posting here, law school will end up being a tremendous mistake, whether in terms of stress, opportunity cost, job prospects, debt, or simply disliking the work.

Some will do fine with it, but all you need to do is redirect your 'excitement' towards this thread, about a top of the class T6 student who is suffering: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=115552

Not a single person here is going to have that sort of rank and status; that poster 'won the law school game' and now he's realizing that winning the law school game is to wear a crown of shit.

It's all relative. TTON is having a sort of law school midlife crisis...how does that represent most law students?

Let me rephrase my point in more direct terms: If you are going into ls for the $ and power, [strike]there is a BIG chance[/strike] you will hate your decision to attend, even if you land a 160k prestigeous biglaw gig out of school. It is not all it is cracked up to be. If you are going to law school b/c you love challenging, intellectual stimulation and want an interesting career OR have a purpose such as becoming a prosecutor, judge, DOJ attorney, JAG, etc. you will likely love your choice.

Another thing: if you are straight from UG and have 0 WE, you often have no freaking clue what it is like out there. Many of the biglaw "omgz I hate my life" posts you see are b/c these people came straight out of UG and have no idea how hard the work force can be, mentally and physically, and no idea what it is to devote a significant portion of your life to something you do not enjoy. Of course you will be miserable.

Posters like the dude above (if you notice, they always have <50 posts and are usually new) are JDU and xoxo trolls that think they have a mission to crap on everyone and convince them out of ls as a career b/c they are unhappy and they buy into the JDU hype b/c their lives suck. That's their fault. Something they forget to mention when they tell you to instead go to trade school to be a plumber is that 1. unless you start your own plumbing business, there is a strict salary ceiling and 2. you clean shit all day crawling in freezing temperatures under people's houses with asshole bosses and work long hours and they wish everyday they could have a job like their brother-in-law attorney w/ the respect he gets and the cush office job. It's all relative. People universally think teaching in public schools is like the easiest, most cake job ever, yet how many teachers do you see on here just chomping at the bit to start ls? These JDU clowns are ridiculous and I feel badly that they freak so many OL's out that don't know any better from lack of experience.

+1, but I would change that statement slightly.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:49 pm

twanx wrote:
SteelReserve wrote:

This is highly credited.

Listen, I'm a 2L. I've actually really enjoyed law school the past two years, and you know what? I won. I was one of the few at my T40 school to get a biglaw SA this upcoming summer. To put it more bluntly, I was one of the few to get a job, period. Let alone one that pays.

If you haven't signed your life away already I implore you to just think about it. I was in your shoes not too long ago, but long enough where the world was a different place. The bottom dropped out of the world about three weeks after I started when some (troubled) but still major firms started imploding. When I was applying for schools top 30% would make you highly safe within the T50, these days you better be at a T6 or be in the top 5% of your class.

If you get a full scholarship, go for it! If you don't, just take a moment and close your eyes and put yourself in your shoes three years from now. Odds are you won't be in the top 20% of your class, as only 1/5 will (no, you are not special, and the odds are as good for you as anyone else). You won't have a job lined up. You're looking at $4500 in expenses to take the bar (BAR/BRI, bar exam, fees, C&F, etc.) This is on top of the $150k in loans you have that will come due in November, just after the 10 or 20 students at your school who got biglaw start drawing checks. They'll burn out in 3 or 4 years, but they'll have no debt. You? You're on the student lender's gravy train for the next 25 years.

The legal market has fundamentally changed. Schools keep getting more expensive, loan interest rates are abysmally high, and the job market isn't likely to recover for many many years. Sure, it's unlikely we'll see another firm implode, but it's also unlikely that we'll see enough activity to bring in bigger class sizes. Many firms have cut their summer sizes by 40%, 60% or even 70% over the past couple of years.

Don't want to go to biglaw? No problem. You won't get the salary to pay off your loans, but there is always IBR and public interest work right? Not really. The great deal that biglaw has cut with a lot of public interest is probably here to stay. Why would they hire you when they can get someone who is (frankly) likely to be brighter than you, and costs them nothing as the firm covers their salary.

But what about government? Have you seen the budget deficits states are running these days? This sector lags behind the economy, and there is a lot of talk about layoffs just now starting at DA and AG offices. They're just not looking to hire young blood right now.

But you could win the lottery. You could get biglaw or a sweet gig at the DOJ or SEC. But odds are you won't. And you'll be staring at your email and phone when Sallie Mae starts calling wondering why you haven't paid them in two months. That is, if you could get the bar loan to cover expenses for BAR/BRI, and you know, pass the bar.

Odds of me getting banned for this? 50-50. But I'd like to point out that I was neither abusive nor unduly pessimistic. I also understand that many of you will read this and shake your heads and say "That won't be me." I was one of you. But like I said, the world is different now compared to two years ago. Just give it some thought.

^^^This may very well be true, but it does not have to be a death sentence. You have to be flexible. For instance if you're dead set on working in Manhattan or a major city in general, you may find yourself disappointed if you happen to not be able to get a job. However, if you're flexible and are willing to work in a small town if you have to, then you you will not have that much of a problem. Problems only arise when people develop tunnel vision.

Not exactly sure what you're trying to say here. Are you saying that people are leaving biglaw and turning to PI? Care to elaborate?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:59 pm

I'm excited. However, just like undergrad, I'm sure it'll start to suck/get old after awhile... just like pretty much everything. No matter what field people are thinking about going into, there's gonna be people who tell you not to for various reasons. If you've done your research, and have reasonable expectations for while you're there and what you're going to do after, the negativity shouldn't get to you. At some point, you have to block it out.

Just like every other thread on this website, a thread about getting excited for next year turns into a rant about why us 0L's shouldn't be. Guess what, if you don't like your decision or have regrets, shut the hell up for once. Anyone who has spent 10 minutes on these forums knows what you have to say, because you post it every chance you get. If someone wants to know about it, they can ask about it in a different thread. But for now, keep your self-loathing out of places it shouldn't be.

TheSharklord

Postby TheSharklord » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:01 am

beach_terror wrote:I'm excited. However, just like undergrad, I'm sure it'll start to suck/get old after awhile... just like pretty much everything. No matter what field people are thinking about going into, there's gonna be people who tell you not to for various reasons. If you've done your research, and have reasonable expectations for while you're there and what you're going to do after, the negativity shouldn't get to you. At some point, you have to block it out.

Just like every other thread on this website, a thread about getting excited for next year turns into a rant about why us 0L's shouldn't be. Guess what, if you don't like your decision or have regrets, shut the hell up for once. Anyone who has spent 10 minutes on these forums knows what you have to say, because you post it every chance you get. If someone wants to know about it, they can ask about it in a different thread. But for now, keep your self-loathing out of places it shouldn't be.

I'm excited to have you in my class. I, for one, don't care what the whiners say, I'm looking forward to seeing how far I can go when pushed by people I generally hold to be sharper than me.

pugalicious

Postby pugalicious » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:52 am

fornicator wrote:get out while you still can. you all sound so dough-eyed and innocent. you will regret it.

When life gives you dough-eyes, make doughnuts!

Ooooooh....you mean DOE-eyed...like a deer...

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:53 am

beyond belief huh? ..

soundgardener

Postby soundgardener » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:01 am

pugalicious wrote:
fornicator wrote:get out while you still can. you all sound so dough-eyed and innocent. you will regret it.

When life gives you dough-eyes, make doughnuts!

Ooooooh....you mean DOE-eyed...like a deer...

No, I think this is what he means:
--ImageRemoved--

legalized

Postby legalized » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:24 pm

twanx wrote:This is highly credited.

I already realized that from my ongoing research from last summer...it's a little sad that people have to actually get through law school and have the debt before they realize what's going on, but I can't afford that type of mistake. While I don't have my eye on biglaw, I did already decide that if my LSATs etc. don't get me into Columbia or higher, I am perfectly fine with going to the cheapest local school (including any awards) and calling it a day as an in-state resident. So knowing that, I actually feel much more relaxed (and it helps that my goal is not biglaw and the only thing my heart is dead set on is my own practice, everything else is negotiable).

So my excitement stays and I read the posts on the board both for continued motivation and to keep my personal mental LS hype going (lol), and for continued planning and awareness of quantitative facts/trends and qualitative pitfalls to consider/avoid.

I love the energy in this thread and I hope this is me comes next year this time when acceptances for the coming cycle are in!

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:35 pm

twanx wrote:Don't want to go to biglaw? No problem. You won't get the salary to pay off your loans, but there is always IBR and public interest work right? Not really. The great deal that biglaw has cut with a lot of public interest is probably here to stay. Why would they hire you when they can get someone who is (frankly) likely to be brighter than you, and costs them nothing as the firm covers their salary.

Any job with a local/state/federal gov't or nonprofit organization will qualify for IBR, not just law jobs. Worst case, you could work at the DMV or teach high school for 10 years and wipe out your debt.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:08 pm

im_blue wrote:
twanx wrote:Don't want to go to biglaw? No problem. You won't get the salary to pay off your loans, but there is always IBR and public interest work right? Not really. The great deal that biglaw has cut with a lot of public interest is probably here to stay. Why would they hire you when they can get someone who is (frankly) likely to be brighter than you, and costs them nothing as the firm covers their salary.

Any job with a local/state/federal gov't or nonprofit organization will qualify for IBR, not just law jobs. Worst case, you could work at the DMV or teach high school for 10 years and wipe out your debt.

+1 While this would obviously suck and it is certainly not what anyone goes to law school for, it does prevent EXTREME economic hardship. At least you (or your parents if they cosign your loans) are not losing a house over your debt.

pugalicious

Postby pugalicious » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:12 pm

im_blue wrote:

Brilliant! I'm going to law school for free now basically (as I can just go back to teaching afterword, and my loan payments will be the same). Huzzah!

Is this really something one could do?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:19 pm

pugalicious wrote:
im_blue wrote:

Brilliant! I'm going to law school for free now basically (as I can just go back to teaching afterword, and my loan payments will be the same). Huzzah!

Is this really something one could do?

Absolutely! http://www.ibrinfo.org/what.vp.html#pslf

PhantaManta

Postby PhantaManta » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:44 pm

And if I've learned anything from watching Breaking Bad it is that starting a meth distribution business when your life turns to shit IS EASY AS FUCK.

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:54 pm

chitown825 wrote:As a 1L this is hilarious to read.

+1

soundgardener

Postby soundgardener » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:27 pm

PhantaManta wrote:And if I've learned anything from watching Breaking Bad it is that starting a meth distribution business when your life turns to shit IS EASY AS FUCK.

Haha, only if you're a chemistry genius.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:32 pm

twanx wrote:
SteelReserve wrote:

This is highly credited.

The military is always hiring. This is a section of the government not too many people consider.

pugalicious

Postby pugalicious » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:36 pm

soundgardener wrote:
PhantaManta wrote:And if I've learned anything from watching Breaking Bad it is that starting a meth distribution business when your life turns to shit IS EASY AS FUCK.

Or you buy the right foreclosed trailer in the middle of the desert...lab-equipped! I wonder if they can put that in the ad?

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:45 pm

pugalicious wrote:
soundgardener wrote:

Or you buy the right foreclosed trailer in the middle of the desert...lab-equipped! I wonder if they can put that in the ad?

The way it is often done is to bury the meth labs and work from underground. The desert alone no longer does the job. Preferably, you can find an abandoned school bus or a long trailer belonging to a big rig and bury it underground. Set up appropriate ventilation while remaining inconspicuous and begin production.

This is all I will say for fear of getting banned.

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:47 am

I don't get it--people ban people for challenging the majority opinion? That seems sort of counter-intuitive to a forum like this. No?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”