Law School Admissions similar to the NFL Draft?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Thoughts?

No way Jose
32%
Kinda, I see you're point
39%
Absolutely!
29%

Total votes: 41

futurelawyer413

Law School Admissions similar to the NFL Draft?

Postby futurelawyer413 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:07 am

Ok, I know its a huge stretch. but really, if you compare and contrast and try to put this in context?-

1) those guys are waiting for a decision, albeit they probably know they are going to get selected at some point, whereas some of us are either still waiting to hear back, or waiting to get any/increased scholly $
2) granted they don't have to wait as long as we do, we started our season in sep/october with apps, and they declared around december/january. they have about a 3-4 month wait, whereas some of us are waiting for 6-7 months.
3) crazy things can happen (e.g. somebody denied at a top 20 , but offered $ at a top 10), sorta like Tebow getting drafted in the 1st round, and Clausen and McCoy not drafted in the first round.
4) ITE, I'm sure people just want this whole process over with, and eventually move on to their next chapter in life. Players are waiting for the NFL season to begin, and for those of us who aren't deferring and fortunate enough of being admitted to our top choices, are patiently waiting for law school to start

idk, thought I'd ask to see if other people kinda thought of this or something similar?

Knock

Re: Law School Admissions similar to the NFL Draft?

Postby Knock » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:44 am

ABSOLUTELY. Except Yale always has the #1 overall pick.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:57 am

I'll take it a step further and say that certain students come from UG "programs" that are repeatedly ranked in the upper tiers, even when, in some years, they do not deserve it. The perrenial favorites are often overranked and the doormats get overlooked. Thus, players who come from those programs are often overlooked, as well.

And many of the best players do not come from the elite programs. So those people, barring exceptional numbers, get penalized when heading to law school, just like a QB from 1AA whose numbers are good, but not stellar, will be drafted "lower" than a QB with similar stats from a powerhouse UG. A 3.8/169 means more coming from Cornell UG than it does coming from U-Minn, if only by a little, right?

The same dynamic repeats itself with firms "recruiting" or "drafting" JD's from the "top" programs. Top firms want all of the Harvard grads, just like the NFL teams want the guys from Michigan, USC, ND, and Florida, etc. first. I remember watching the movie The Firm with Tom Cruise and, looking at his body language (and the way the senior partner described his pedigree during his introduction), thinking "Yeah! He does look as much like a Heisman Trophy winning QB being intorduced to the media as a recent Harvard JD."

The partner even described him as "...our #1 draft pick".

futurelawyer413

Postby futurelawyer413 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:44 pm

PDaddy wrote:I'll take it a step further and say that certain students come from UG "programs" that are repeatedly ranked in the upper tiers, even when, in some years, they do not deserve it. The perrenial favorites are often overranked and the doormats get overlooked. Thus, players who come from those programs are often overlooked, as well.

And many of the best players do not come from the elite programs. So those people, barring exceptional numbers, get penalized when heading to law school, just like a QB from 1AA whose numbers are good, but not stellar, will be drafted "lower" than a QB with similar stats from a powerhouse UG. A 3.8/169 means more coming from Cornell UG than it does coming from U-Minn, if only by a little, right?

The same dynamic repeats itself with firms "recruiting" or "drafting" JD's from the "top" programs. Top firms want all of the Harvard grads, just like the NFL teams want the guys from Michigan, USC, ND, and Florida, etc. first. I remember watching the movie The Firm with Tom Cruise and, looking at his body language (and the way the senior partner described his pedigree during his introduction), thinking "Yeah! He does look as much like a Heisman Trophy winning QB being intorduced to the media as a recent Harvard JD."

The partner even described him as "...our #1 draft pick".

Point well taken, and I couldn't agree any more! Especially your first point - the fact that some UG programs/schools are consistently overlooked and thus dont get any nod or recognition is a significant issue.

SamSeaborn2016

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:53 pm

If Weis somehow convinces the Chiefs to pick up Clausen I will consider that Notre Dame screwing with me. Just like the admissions process.

MeechiganBoy

Postby MeechiganBoy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:55 pm

More like college football/basketball recruiting than the draft

twert

Postby twert » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:03 pm

MeechiganBoy wrote:More like college football/basketball recruiting than the draft

agree, biglaw recruitment is probably more like the draft, oci is the combine.

Gamecubesupreme

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:44 pm

If my favorite team is the New England Patriots, what would that make me?

PhantaManta

Postby PhantaManta » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:56 pm

There was a thread on here with a law school Dean taking questions, from Illinois if I remember correctly.

I asked him if choosing students was like a fantasy baseball draft and he said yes. So there you go. :D

Hitbyabus21

Postby Hitbyabus21 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:35 pm

LSAT = 40
GPA = Vertical

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:24 pm

No, I don't think that it is like the NFL draft because everybody is aiming for the same position & the LSAT is the great equalizer regardless of prestige of one's undergraduate school & regardless--to a certain extent--of one's performance in undergraduate school.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:40 pm

Hitbyabus21 wrote:LSAT = 40
GPA = [strike]Vertical[/strike]on-field production

Certain teams/schools value production (Patriots, Berkeley), while others only care about the measurable (Raiders, midwestern T30's).

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:27 pm

MeechiganBoy wrote:More like college football/basketball recruiting than the draft

TITCR. I mean, between unofficial visits, official visits (ASWs), student hosts, pitches based on natl contenders/NFL draft picks (Harvard, Yale), pitches based on coaching schemes and "fit" (UVA, Michigan, Duke), pitches based on location/"conferences" (the NYC and DC schools), the counterproductive obsession with rankings (USNWR vs. Rivals), the "National Signing Day" of April 30th/May1st....it just goes on and on.

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:12 pm

Well in both law school admissions and the NFL Draft some people are taken off the board or downgraded for a perceived character issue and thus can have unpredictable drafts/cycles.

JacobyEllz

Postby JacobyEllz » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:54 pm

Eh... A GW would never trade back into the first round and draft a Tim Tebow. :lol:

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:57 pm

Wonderlic test does not equal the LSAT either in difficulty or in relation to opportunities based on the result.

JacobyEllz

Postby JacobyEllz » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:04 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Wonderlic test does not equal the LSAT either in difficulty or in relation to opportunities based on the result.

LOL the Wonederlic test approaches the same level of difficulty of a 2nd grade times table.

TornadoTarHeel

Postby TornadoTarHeel » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:08 pm

Only thing is, the draft goes in reverse order from the previous year's results (rankings, if you will), so Cooley should be picking the cream of the crop. Unless the draft went by the Cooley rankings, of course.

futurelawyer413

Postby futurelawyer413 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:38 am

I agree that some of it could easily be related to recruiting, but I feel it's weighted slightly favor to the process of getting drafted, i.e. law schools don't necessarily "recruit" do they? I mean do people with 3.8+ and 170+ go to LSAC Forums and yap or use reverse psychology so that the law school can say "Oh nice stats! You're exactly who we are looking for!" hahaha BS!

Also, touche on the LSAT = 40 and GPA = Vertical jump relationship, nice1!

firebreathingliberal

Postby firebreathingliberal » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:50 am

this.

I had a sort of high school commit day moment during this process. When I finally decided which school I was going to, I took out the t-shirt I got on the ASD and put it on... sort of like when high school recruits make a spectacle of what school they are going to and slowly, dramatically put on the cap of the school they will be 'attending'.

I say 'attending' because some of those recruits will be attending classes like football coaching 101.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”