Am I smart enough for Law School?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Canterticle

Am I smart enough for Law School?

Postby Canterticle » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:35 pm

Hello all. I am a Junior undergraduate, applying for law schools in the fall pending some difficult choices. I did well on the LSAT, getting a 175. I also have a strong GPA: 3.8 (edit: the 8 ) turned into a smiley!).

Despite these positive factors, I am worried that I am not intelligent enough for Law School. Looking at class breakdowns, 30-40% of HYS and a sizable portion of CCN are from Ivy League schools or top liberal arts colleges. I attend a large state school and am double majoring in two liberal arts (English and economics).

As part of a research job I have read a wide variety of assignments and essays from students from Ivy League schools, and I can honestly say they are at a much higher level than my work, or the work of my peers. Perhaps this is due to the teachers, perhaps the competition to excel, or perhaps the students are simply more intelligent. Whatever the reason, I am worried that, if accepted to a top law school, I will inevitably fall below the median GPA due to this disparity.

Although I have done well in my courses, so have many of my friends and peers. Even when taking demanding courses, the class curve often ensures that I get a solid grade on exams, even if I don't know the material that well.

I don't read voraciously in my spare time. I don't discuss Foucauldian theory with my roommates. I certainly don't have any remarkable mathematics or writing abilities. I'm just a good student who does well on tests like the LSAT.

Do others have this experience of attending a top law school from a mediocre University? How difficult is the transition? Are you performing above or below your expectations?

The last thing I want to do is pay a lot of money to find out I am outclassed and outmatched, only allowed in due to deceptively high stats and admissions policies which remove the difference between universities, and that I will face poor grades and poor opportunities.

Thanks for your help!
Last edited by Canterticle on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pany1985

Re: Am I smart enough for Law School?

Postby pany1985 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:36 pm

If you have to ask, the answer is no

Columbia Law

Postby Columbia Law » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:37 pm

Canterticle wrote:[strike]Hello all. I am a Junior undergraduate, applying for law schools in the fall pending some difficult choices. I did well on the LSAT, getting a 175. I also have a strong GPA: 3.8 (edit: the 8 ) turned into a smiley!).

Despite these positive factors, I am worried that I am not intelligent enough for Law School. Looking at class breakdowns, 30-40% of HYS and a sizable portion of CCN are from Ivy League schools or top liberal arts colleges. I attend a large state school and am double majoring in two liberal arts (English and economics).

As part of a research job I have read a wide variety of assignments and essays from students from Ivy League schools, and I can honestly say they are at a much higher level than my work, or the work of my peers. Perhaps this is due to the teachers, perhaps the competition to excel, or perhaps the students are simply more intelligent. Whatever the reason, I am worried that, if accepted to a top law school, I will inevitably fall below the median GPA due to this disparity.

Although I have done well in my courses, so have many of my friends and peers. Even when taking demanding courses, the class curve often ensures that I get a solid grade on exams.

I don't read voraciously in my spare time. I don't discuss Foucauldian theory with my roommates. I certainly don't have any remarkable mathematics or writing abilities. I'm just a good student who does well on tests like the LSAT.

Do others have this experience of attending a top law school from a mediocre University? How difficult is the transition? Are you performing above or below your expectations?

The last thing I want to do is pay a lot of money to find out I am outclassed and outmatched, only allowed in due to deceptively high stats and admissions policies which remove the difference between universities, and that I will get poor grades and poor opportunities.

Thanks for your help![/strike] I am either a terrible flame or tooting my own horn.

FIFY

labyrinth

Postby labyrinth » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:39 pm

Apply and use this as your personal statement.

You'll definitely get in.

Canterticle

Postby Canterticle » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:40 pm

labyrinth wrote:Apply and use this as your personal statement.

You'll definitely get in.

Hehe

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:43 pm

You sound like an egregious dumbass to me.

Canterticle

Postby Canterticle » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:45 pm

rad law wrote:You sound like an egregious dumbass to me.

Yeah that's my problem here.

ArthurEdens

Postby ArthurEdens » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:46 pm

Don't feed the troll everyone. It's a flame, and a poorly conceived one at that. My only question is whose alt this is.

Bangalmafia

Postby Bangalmafia » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:50 pm

I really doubt this is a flame....

Because, I also go to a big school, where I'm often doubting whether or not I'm getting a real education. I've got decent grades too (not like the OP), but I honestly feel like my time would have been better spent reading in the library some of that time.... I mean, I have literally sat through a class where I've heard the same lecture twice.

That said, even if you haven't read widely (just yet) or speak in the occult tongue of some academics--I really think that at long as you have enough of the drive to do so when the time comes, you'll be fine. I sat next to a guy in my calc. class who had spent most of his life as a butcher, came back to school and was pretty much killing the weed-out physics and calculus classes. You'll catch up, learn the ropes, and all that jazz.

I remember reading that Obama mentioned that he never made good grades in undergrad but the thing that really helped him in law school was that he felt time off helped him build a barrier. As he put it, "By the time I got to law school all my wild oats were sown."

Anyways. Hope my efforts to take you seriously weren't wasted too much.
Last edited by Bangalmafia on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:50 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Canterticle

Postby Canterticle » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:56 pm

Bangalmafia wrote:I really doubt this is a flame....

Because, I also go to a big school, where I'm often doubting whether or not I'm getting a real education. I've got decent grades too (not like the OP), but I honestly feel like my time would have been better spent reading in the library some of that time.... I mean, I have literally sat through a class where I've heard the same lecture twice.

That said, even if you haven't read widely (just yet) or speak in the occult tongue of some academics--I really think that at long as you have enough of the drive to do so when the time comes, you'll be fine. I sat next to a guy in my calc. class who had spent most of his life as a butcher, came back to school and was pretty much killing the weed-out physics and calculus classes. You'll catch up, learn the ropes, and all that jazz.

I remember reading that Obama mentioned that he never made good grades in undergrad but the thing that really helped him in law school was that he felt time off helped him build a barrier. As he put it, "By the time I got to law school all my wild oats were sown."

Anyways. Hope my efforts to take you seriously weren't wasted too much.

Thanks for the advice. I know exactly what you mean about fearing the state of one's education. I suppose what I'm worried about is the subjective nature of law school courses. Wouldn't this play into the "occult tongue of some academics" type of student? Those who, during an exam, can write an analysis which is beyond my understanding or ability. Although I don't know much about the types of exams, from other students it seems there is an emphasis on being able to critically dissect extremely complicated arguments. I just don't know if this is something I can 'work-ethic' my way to achieving.

But if Obama can do it...

Edit: Before someone says, "LOL that's what the LSAT is flame troll etc. etc.", I feel there is a difference between choosing the correct answer and developing that answer independently.
Last edited by Canterticle on Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:01 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:I'll bite.

If you got a 175 your first time taking the LSAT, and you have the work ethic you seem to have, you'll be fine.

byunbee

Postby byunbee » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:09 pm

Canterticle wrote:Although I have done well in my courses, so have many of my friends and peers. Even when taking demanding courses, the class curve often ensures that I get a solid grade on exams, even if I don't know the material that well.

I think this has been said before on this website, but grade inflation is a problem at Ivies too...

Canterticle wrote:I don't read voraciously in my spare time. I don't discuss Foucauldian theory with my roommates. I certainly don't have any remarkable mathematics or writing abilities.

How are you so sure Ivy League students are sitting around talking about philosophy with their roommates and reading voraciously on their spare time? And again, I think this has been said many times before on this website. Law school students suck at math.

Canterticle

Postby Canterticle » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:15 pm

byunbee wrote:
Canterticle wrote:I don't read voraciously in my spare time. I don't discuss Foucauldian theory with my roommates. I certainly don't have any remarkable mathematics or writing abilities.

How are you so sure Ivy League students are sitting around talking about philosophy with their roommates and reading voraciously on their spare time? And again, I think this has been said many times before on this website. Law school students suck at math.

Like I say, my only knowledge of Ivy League work is the essays and research projects which I have studied through an internship. I had a fairly large sample, and the depth, quality, and writing skills were all at an extremely high level.

Point taken about philosophy discussions, though; probably not too common.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:19 pm

you'll probably be one of those dumb fucks asking if they should reapply 2 years from now because you only got into Stanford

EDIT: on second examination, you may actually not be a flame

either way

don't worry about this stuff... stick around on TLS long enough and you'll see that there are plenty of idiots at every level... there's nothing magical about the HYPS whatever graduates. Don't worry about them.
Last edited by Borhas on Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:21 pm

Yes...if you can get in, you can do the work

HazelEyes

Postby HazelEyes » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:24 pm

I don't think this is a flame at all.

[quote="Canterticle"]Hello all. I am a Junior undergraduate, applying for law schools in the fall pending some difficult choices. I did well on the LSAT, getting a 175. I also have a strong GPA: 3.8 (edit: the 8 ) turned into a smiley!).

Although I have done well in my courses, so have many of my friends and peers. Even when taking demanding courses, the class curve often ensures that I get a solid grade on exams, even if I don't know the material that well.

The last thing I want to do is pay a lot of money to find out I am outclassed and outmatched, only allowed in due to deceptively high stats and admissions policies which remove the difference between universities, and that I will face poor grades and poor opportunities.

Thanks for your help![/quote
I don’t think this is a flame at all. Having gone to a very large public college too, I can somewhat relate to the poster’s question.
It’s not a question of being smart, it’s of being as smart as everyone else at law school. Ivy league undergrad schools teach a certain caliber of studies, a certain level of polish that I often wonder if I’m lacking.
That being said, you are clearly very bright and should have no issue getting into a T-14, just apply early and apply liberally.

Bangalmafia

Postby Bangalmafia » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:28 pm

That being said, you are clearly very bright and should have no issue getting into a T-14, just apply early and apply liberally.

Hrm... but that doesn't answer his question. I think only a person who's had the same doubts, then went to law school with all dem "city slickers" can answer his question. The rest of us can just timidly encourage him, hoping we're right.

Bangalmafia

Postby Bangalmafia » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:33 pm

Then again... OP have you ever read the Malcolm Gladwell piece: Getting in?

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2005/1 ... at_atlarge

MTal

Postby MTal » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:36 pm

Validation seekers are lame.

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:40 pm

OP fishing for praise here.

knickfan

Postby knickfan » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:41 pm

Try to bend a spoon with your mind. If it takes you more than 15 minutes, your obviously not ready. Your a junior though, so you have time, keep trying.

MeechiganBoy

Postby MeechiganBoy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:44 pm

I'm also wondering the same. I'll be a Freshman next year and law school is my ultimate goal. I didn't do the hottest in high school so I'm planning on woking my tail off to get a 3.8+. The LSAT is the one thing that worries me though considering I only got a 26 on my ACT :(

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:51 pm

MeechiganBoy wrote:The LSAT is the one thing that worries me though considering I only got a 26 on my ACT :(

Have fun being a failure in life.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:53 pm

MeechiganBoy wrote:I'm also wondering the same. I'll be a Freshman next year and law school is my ultimate goal. I didn't do the hottest in high school so I'm planning on woking my tail off to get a 3.8+. The LSAT is the one thing that worries me though considering I only got a 26 on my ACT :(

if you know you want to go to law school as a freshman you'll have a very easy road ahead of you (assuming you don't change your mind).

get straights A's, then take an LSAT course

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”