Harvard KSG grading Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jbjb1

New

Harvard KSG grading

Post by jbjb1 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:16 pm

I am considering adding on an MPP from K-school. Anyone at the K-school know if there are any graduation honors (similar to the cum laude honors or the Baker at HBS)? Seems if there aren't any graduation honors the academics are likely weak and I will need to rethink the investment.

CordeliusX

Bronze

Re: Harvard KSG grading

Post by CordeliusX » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:19 pm

Are you at HLS? Is this a JT or concurrent degree? Just curious.

jbjb1

New

Post by jbjb1 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:54 pm

CordeliusX wrote:Are you at HLS? Is this a JT or concurrent degree? Just curious.
At a law school nearby. I'm not a big advocate of concurrent degrees, but might consider it if it is from another school.

jmoney

New

Post by jmoney » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:27 pm

jbjb1 wrote:Anyone at the K-school know if there are any graduation honors (similar to the cum laude honors or the Baker at HBS)? Seems if there aren't any graduation honors the academics are likely weak and I will need to rethink the investment.
Wow. if that's your reason for considering the kennedy school, please don't attend and waste your time.

jbjb1

New

Post by jbjb1 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:05 pm

jmoney wrote:
jbjb1 wrote:Anyone at the K-school know if there are any graduation honors (similar to the cum laude honors or the Baker at HBS)? Seems if there aren't any graduation honors the academics are likely weak and I will need to rethink the investment.
Wow. if that's your reason for considering the kennedy school, please don't attend and waste your time.

Wow. you don't get the point. I am not terribly concerned about getting honors, but whether or not there are academic awards (of any kind) is surely a relevant indicator of how "serious" the degree is. Many 1 year Master's degrees don't give out honors because the grades are so inflated and the degree is fairly meaningless unless you want to go on to a PhD. If even HBS which is low on the academic food chain can give out graduation honors, I don't see why the K-school cannot.

jmoney

New

Post by jmoney » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:01 pm

jbjb1 wrote:
jmoney wrote:

Wow. you don't get the point. I am not terribly concerned about getting honors, but whether or not there are academic awards (of any kind) is surely a relevant indicator of how "serious" the degree is. Many 1 year Master's degrees don't give out honors because the grades are so inflated and the degree is fairly meaningless unless you want to go on to a PhD. If even HBS which is low on the academic food chain can give out graduation honors, I don't see why the K-school cannot.
I get it. If you think an honors system signals the seriousness of the degree, then fine. I don't actually agree with that assessment and it tells me a bit about your familiarity with policy schools.

From what I gather in your posts, it seems like your primary motive for getting another degree to distinguish yourself from the pack (whatever pack that is). Unless you have a deep desire for a career in public service, it makes little sense to go the Kennedy School if you seek a legal career. Stick with the JD.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”