Waitlisted @ Rutgers Camden w/ 148 LSAT and 2.9GPA..Now what Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jdhopeful11

Bronze

Waitlisted @ Rutgers Camden w/ 148 LSAT and 2.9GPA..Now what

Post by jdhopeful11 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:03 pm

Hey guys,

I was shocked this morning when RU camden informed me that I was waitlisted. They said that they were impressed particularly by my personal statement. I am wrapping up my internship with an Attorney General's office, and hope to have 2 solid letters of recommendation to add to my file. I also plan on sending them an updated transcript, which will only help my GPA by fractions. I also plan on sending my counselor an email expressing my joy about being waitlisted and telling them how much I want to go to their school.

Anyway, given my low numbers, what else can I do besides that? Is being waitlisted even something to be proud of? Does anybody know what percentage of waitlistees normally gain acceptance? The waitlist rankings do not come out until July 1st. What information will the rankings reveal to me?

Thx guys :!:

JacobyEllz

New

Re: Waitlisted @ Rutgers Camden w/ 148 LSAT and 2.9GPA..Now what

Post by JacobyEllz » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:00 pm

May I ask what your nationality is?

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:22 pm

May I ask:

a) Why were you shocked? You had a freaking 148 and 2.9

b) Are you positive you want to go to law school?

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Post by jdhopeful11 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:24 pm

middle eastern with a diversity statement

eaters333

New

Post by eaters333 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:37 pm

[quote="Cilent21"]May I ask:

I believe OP was shocked about even making it onto the waitlist

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:38 pm

Cilent21 wrote:May I ask:

b) Are you positive you want to go to law school?
a) I'm pretty sure he meant shocked as in he expected to get rejected. Way to be a dick.
b) Again, way to be a dick.

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:41 pm

andyman wrote:Hey guys,

I was shocked this morning when RU camden informed me that I was waitlisted. They said that they were impressed particularly by my personal statement. I am wrapping up my internship with an Attorney General's office, and hope to have 2 solid letters of recommendation to add to my file. I also plan on sending them an updated transcript, which will only help my GPA by fractions. I also plan on sending my counselor an email expressing my joy about being waitlisted and telling them how much I want to go to their school.

Anyway, given my low numbers, what else can I do besides that? Is being waitlisted even something to be proud of? Does anybody know what percentage of waitlistees normally gain acceptance? The waitlist rankings do not come out until July 1st. What information will the rankings reveal to me?

Sounds like you got the right idea. LOCI (letter of continued interest), updated LORs, updated transcripts, etc. The only other thing you might consider is retaking the LSAT in June, and raising your score enough to get off of WL.

Nobody knows how the WL will pan out, because it depends on how many admitted students withdraw their applications.

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Post by jdhopeful11 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:49 pm

quadsixm wrote:

Sounds like you got the right idea. LOCI (letter of continued interest), updated LORs, updated transcripts, etc. The only other thing you might consider is retaking the LSAT in June, and raising your score enough to get off of WL.

Nobody knows how the WL will pan out, because it depends on how many admitted students withdraw their applications.

Thank you. yes i was shocked because i expected a reject since i took the feb lsat after i submitted my application. i know that i can do better on the test, i just have to find out if they will accept the june lsat. i emailed my counselor directly and asked if they would take a june lsat score and the person never responded. should i direct my email to the general admissions email address instead? and as far as LOCI are concerned, should i also send them to the general admissions email address or directly to my counselor even though she ignored the previous email i sent?

another thing, what does a LOCI generally consist of? i mean, i dont want it to be too dramatic, but at the same time i dont want it to be too formal either. i had this LOCI drafted, can you please critique it?

"I would like to express my gratitude to the admissions committee for keeping me in consideration to gain admittance into your law school. After I read the email informing me that I was put on the wait-list, I excused myself from court to call my mother and tell her the good news (and what being wait-listed means). Rutgers-Camden was a school in particular that I had hoped would recognize what I have to offer. I am well aware that my low February LSAT score is a tremendous burden, but I plan on taking the June LSAT to redeem the low February score."

thanks guys

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Listen man... do everything you can... but don't count on it. You have less than a 1% chance at getting in as is. But, the most important thing (in my opinion) is letting them know that IF accepted, you WILL go. The WL is a numbers game where they give out X number of acceptances hoping that all choose to attend. At first it's about trying to get the best candiadates off of the WL, but come July, the school just wants to fill the seats with people they know will say yes if offered a seat.

If they KNOW you will go, I would guess you just changed your chances from around 1 to 5-10%. Iin the end, it's worth it.

Good luck brutha.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:09 pm

Should be longer, a few paragraphs, and talk about a few more specific things that you like about the school, as well as go into a little more detail about what makes you a great fit for them.

It should be addressed to the dean of admissions, but can be sent to the general admissions email address, who should add it to your file on your behalf.

I'm almost positive they'll take the June LSAT, as they can pull people from WL as late as the day classes begin, and you will receive the results from the June LSAT much sooner than that.

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Post by jdhopeful11 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:27 pm

thanks guys...one last thing - should i tell Rutgers-Newark (which hasnt reviewed my application yet), that Rutgers-Camden (which is more selective) waitlisted me? obviously i would add it as a punch line in an email inquiring about something else.

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:37 pm

andyman wrote:thanks guys...one last thing - should i tell Rutgers-Newark (which hasnt reviewed my application yet), that Rutgers-Camden (which is more selective) waitlisted me? obviously i would add it as a punch line in an email inquiring about something else.
I wouldn't.

Edit: A WL isn't something to brag about / use as leverage.

amclane

New

Post by amclane » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:42 pm

andyman wrote:
"I would like to express my gratitude to the admissions committee for keeping me in consideration to gain admittance into your law school. After I read the email informing me that I was put on the wait-list, I excused myself from court to call my mother and tell her the good news (and what being wait-listed means). Rutgers-Camden was a school in particular that I had hoped would recognize what I have to offer. I am well aware that my low February LSAT score is a tremendous burden, but I plan on taking the June LSAT to redeem the low February score."

thanks guys
Make it more formal. They won't care about your narrative about calling your mom, and that your mom doesn't know what a waitlist is. Tell them you are pleased to be on the waitlist, and that you really want to go there, and some reasons why, and if you can add anything about yourself that wasn't on your app.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Post by jdhopeful11 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:57 pm

when i send the LOCI, do i need to mention it in the email that i want it added to my file, or do they do that automatically?

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:10 pm

andyman wrote:when i send the LOCI, do i need to mention it in the email that i want it added to my file, or do they do that automatically?
you can mention it, but they should know that already.

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Post by jdhopeful11 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:13 pm

thx guys!!!!!

quad - can i PM you my LOCI?

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:39 pm

Sure, no problem - send it over and I'll take a look at it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:45 pm

andyman wrote:when i send the LOCI, do i need to mention it in the email that i want it added to my file, or do they do that automatically?
LOCIs should be mailed.

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:46 pm

newyorker88 wrote:
LOCIs should be mailed.
Actually, I recommend doing both. Email for expediency, and another copy via snail mail to be safe.

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Post by jdhopeful11 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:49 pm

ok cool! i'm editing it right now, should be done shortly...my stupid email timed out after 2 hours of working on it so i had to revert back to the rough draft :evil:

thanks again for the advice guys!!!!! i will def do both

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:56 pm

andyman wrote:
quadsixm wrote:

Thank you. yes i was shocked because i expected a reject since i took the feb lsat after i submitted my application. i know that i can do better on the test, i just have to find out if they will accept the june lsat. i emailed my counselor directly and asked if they would take a june lsat score and the person never responded. should i direct my email to the general admissions email address instead? and as far as LOCI are concerned, should i also send them to the general admissions email address or directly to my counselor even though she ignored the previous email i sent?

another thing, what does a LOCI generally consist of? i mean, i dont want it to be too dramatic, but at the same time i dont want it to be too formal either. i had this LOCI drafted, can you please critique it?

thanks guys
Do not use NEGATIVE adjectives; they will work against you. The one thing they will remember after reading this paragraph is that you had a tremendously burdensome low February LSAT score. Highlight the positive and make the letter three paragraphs long.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:26 am

newyorker88 wrote:
LOCIs should be mailed.
This isn't necessarily true, and I've heard one or the other preferred from adcoms.

Last cycle I used 1 mailed LOCI and followed up with a couple e-mailed ones throughout the summer. I managed to get off the waitlist at a school I really had no business attending with my numbers. I chose not to attend at that point, however.

legalized

Bronze

Post by legalized » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:26 pm

I would just like to know what your study plan is going forward for June?

If you haven't already, please get the Powerscore Logic Games Bible at the least, and the "10 Actual Official LSAT Preptests" books (there are 3 of them with 10 tests each, check Amazon and buy one without markings).

I read somewhere online that even if you have to take one preptest every day to get at least 30 done, do it. And of course review your mistakes.

I am addressing that because I'm studying now myself...and I know June won't help you if your plan isn't radically different from whatever you were doing before to get that 148.

Also, if you do well on June, just withdraw off their waitlist and apply this fall to start next fall in 2011. Matter of fact if you don't like your June score take a class over the summer (Powerscore's or Testmaster's I have heard good things about) and take it again in October.

We are so close to the next cycle that I think it would really help you to wait a year. That's what I did last year when I started research and realized to do this process right I needed an entire 12 months to get all parts of the application ready. Don't sell yourself short, research on this board and you will see that there are some very competitive people out there going hard for law school...use them to show you how hard you need to be pushing to be ahead of the game (if possible), and for motivation to get through the whole long process.

I would like you to do your best so please make sure to prepare as much as you can for June, and if not, then for October. Practice accuracy, then speed, then endurance (entire--timed--tests with 4 sections/WRITING SAMPLE...). Good luck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”