Out of school for 10 years with low GPA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
odin

Out of school for 10 years with low GPA

Postby odin » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:05 am

I have been out of school for ten+/- years with a GPA of 2.8 ( and a triple major). What can I do, if anything, to raise my GPA from 10 years ago? Would taking classes (and making A's) at the local university be of any benefit? Realistic hopes of 170+ LSAT. Unrealistic hopes of entrance to Yale?
I do have solid work experience and self-motivated upward movement (development of my own brand) within my industry. Would an internship at a Law firm have much impact on my application?

Re: Out of school for 10 years with low GPA

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:12 am

odin wrote:I have been out of school for ten+/- years with a GPA of 2.8 ( and a triple major). What can I do, if anything, to raise my GPA from 10 years ago? Would taking classes (and making A's) at the local university be of any benefit? Realistic hopes of 170+ LSAT. Unrealistic hopes of entrance to Yale?
I do have solid work experience and self-motivated upward movement (development of my own brand) within my industry. Would an internship at a Law firm have much impact on my application?

It is too late to raise your GPA. Once you get your first bachelors it gets set in stone.

You need to get a 170+ on the LSAT. Yale is out. So is Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, Columbia, Chicago, and NYU. You have very small chances at Mich, Uva, Duke, and Cornell if you get 170+.

You've got a halfway decent shot at Northwestern if you can score 172 (smaller if you only get 170, but still existent). If you get 170+ on the LSAT I would apply early decision to Northwestern.

You've got a ok shot at Georgetown part time, but you'll be wait listed for a bit.

Schools like WUSTL , UIUC, Minn, Indiana, Iowa might give you small scholarships if you hit 170+.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:20 am

Your GPA is less important as you acquire years of work experience. It is still highly important though and DF is absolutely right that you'll need a stellar LSAT to offset the low GPA. Northwestern is your best shot at the T14. Good luck.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:24 am

yeah sucks but you are done at the top 10 schools or so unless you founded a business empire like Microsoft

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:28 am

Desert Fox wrote:
odin wrote:I have been out of school for ten+/- years with a GPA of 2.8 ( and a triple major). What can I do, if anything, to raise my GPA from 10 years ago? Would taking classes (and making A's) at the local university be of any benefit? Realistic hopes of 170+ LSAT. Unrealistic hopes of entrance to Yale?

It is too late to raise your GPA. Once you get your first bachelors it gets set in stone.

You need to get a 170+ on the LSAT. Yale is out. So is Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, Columbia, Chicago, and NYU. You have very small chances at Mich, Uva, Duke, and Cornell if you get 170+.

You've got a halfway decent shot at Northwestern if you can score 172 (smaller if you only get 170, but still existent). If you get 170+ on the LSAT I would apply early decision to Northwestern.

You've got a ok shot at Georgetown part time, but you'll be wait listed for a bit.

Schools like WUSTL , UIUC, Minn, Indiana, Iowa might give you small scholarships if you hit 170+.

All this is credited other than that I might updgrade NU from halfway decent to just plain decent with a 171+ and an ED app. Also, I may be wrong, but I think the typical mega splitter schollies in that last group are usually around half tuition. I guess whether or not that qualifies as small could be considered somewhat relative.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:31 am

Stringer Bell wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

All this is credited other than that I might updgrade NU from halfway decent to just plain decent with a 171+ and an ED app. Also, I may be wrong, but I think the typical mega splitter schollies in that last group are usually around half tuition. I guess whether or not that qualifies as small could be considered somewhat relative.

Yea with a 172+ I'd bet a lot of money the OP would get NU ED. 171 is probably in. 170 is plain decent.

It's more like 1/3 for sub 3.0. I got 16K/year at Minn, and 10K at IUB with a 176/2.8.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:49 am

Desert Fox wrote:

+1. Anyone with a 2.8 GPA is effectively shut out of most of the T14, let alone Yale.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:41 am

im_blue wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

+1. Anyone with a 2.8 GPA is effectively shut out of most of the T14, let alone Yale.

Northwestern and GTown PT are the only options. I think NU would be a great match for the OP. He may even consider the AJD program there.

odin

Postby odin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:30 am

Thanks for the info. Actually, it doesn't sound as bad as I thought it might. It just sucks that 10 years ago is written in stone (or worse).

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:44 am

Yeah it sucks. My 2.98 from 1997 is holding me down. But my 175 is keeping me on a lot of waitlists. I got $$ from UIUC, Minnesota and W&L. I got in at UCLA and waitlisted at 8 schools from Penn through Vanderbilt.
Study for that LSAT like your future depends on it.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:13 pm

MURPH wrote:Yeah it sucks. My 2.98 from 1997 is holding me down. But my 175 is keeping me on a lot of waitlists. I got $$ from UIUC, Minnesota and W&L. I got in at UCLA and waitlisted at 8 schools from Penn through Vanderbilt.

Wow, UCLA with a 3.0 is epic.

GermX

Postby GermX » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:36 pm

He is 10 years away from his GPA, I think with a 170+ on the LSAT, lots of the t-14 become plausible especially if he applies early and has great work-experience.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:16 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
MURPH wrote:Yeah it sucks. My 2.98 from 1997 is holding me down. But my 175 is keeping me on a lot of waitlists. I got $$ from UIUC, Minnesota and W&L. I got in at UCLA and waitlisted at 8 schools from Penn through Vanderbilt.

Wow, UCLA with a 3.0 is epic.

Having the GI BIll and Yellow ribbon scholarship is even epicer.

odin

Postby odin » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:33 pm

murph

can you give me any details on your study habits for your 175 lsat?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”