Taking easy classes to boost GPA Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DoubleChecks

Gold

Re: Taking easy classes to boost GPA

Post by DoubleChecks » Thu May 06, 2010 4:19 pm

i think 1 semester of padding (or even a yr of casual padding, i.e. 1-2 'easy' courses a semester for 2 semesters) will not be a problem. id worry a bit more if your major was ACTUALLY basketweaving, but id say in MOST cases, having a generic major doesnt even matter.

that being said, CCN beat me to the punch on the business major joke :P i minored in that -- arent those all already easy classes? haha jp

you have access to programs like pickaprof (now myedu?) and stuff for prof ratings right? i always read reviews before choosing...just because a class SOUNDS easy hardly means it is so

and some classes are easy A's but a ridiculous amount of busy work...oh how i loathe those...

edit: to lend credence to an earlier poster; many HLS adcomms have told me that they look at the 'rigor of one's courseload' and i know for a fact that they really, really like one of my majors (which is kinda specific to my school, so not really helpful to anyone else)

SBimmer

New

Post by SBimmer » Thu May 06, 2010 4:35 pm

romothesavior wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:No. It looks really shady. I am probably the KING OF FLUFFING GPA....and I got rejected from safety to target schools. They differentiate between your classes. Just do well on the LSAT.
I'm growing tired of you bitching about getting rejected from schools where you were below (often substantially below) the median. Cornell, Georgetown, UVA, etc. are not interested in your 162 LSAT. It ain't because you fluffed your GPA.

Ya know what? I got WL'd at GULC and Michigan, and rejected from Duke. But I'm not bitching about it. Why? BECAUSE MY LSAT WAS BELOW THE MEDIAN!

To OP: Just take classes you find interesting and think you can do well in. Many students take easier, non-major classes their senior year (I took ballroom dancing and sci-fi fiction, for example). I don't think this will stick out like a sore thumb because many students are doing it. In all likelihood, you are done with your major requirements and are just looking to pass the time, which is totally normal.
+1 about PunjabiLower

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Thu May 06, 2010 4:36 pm

Yes, do it. They don't care about the classes.

PunjabiLower

Bronze

Post by PunjabiLower » Thu May 06, 2010 4:54 pm

romothesavior wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:No. It looks really shady. I am probably the KING OF FLUFFING GPA....and I got rejected from safety to target schools. They differentiate between your classes. Just do well on the LSAT.
I'm growing tired of you bitching about getting rejected from schools where you were below (often substantially below) the median. Cornell, Georgetown, UVA, etc. are not interested in your 162 LSAT. It ain't because you fluffed your GPA.

Ya know what? I got WL'd at GULC and Michigan, and rejected from Duke. But I'm not bitching about it. Why? BECAUSE MY LSAT WAS BELOW THE MEDIAN!

To OP: Just take classes you find interesting and think you can do well in. Many students take easier, non-major classes their senior year (I took ballroom dancing and sci-fi fiction, for example). I don't think this will stick out like a sore thumb because many students are doing it. In all likelihood, you are done with your major requirements and are just looking to pass the time, which is totally normal.
Stop being a douchebag. Seriously. I said safety/target schools. RC fail. I'm just saying adcoms aren't dumb and it could have been one of many factors that could have put me out at several schools.

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Thu May 06, 2010 4:56 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Stop being a douchebag. Seriously. I said safety/target schools. RC fail. I'm just saying adcoms aren't dumb and it could have been one of many factors that could have put me out at several schools.
No, I think that would be immaturity and your LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu May 06, 2010 4:58 pm

Ok we get it, PunjabiLower is an immature, stupid, bitch. Lets get back to gaming LSAC GPA.

PunjabiLower

Bronze

Post by PunjabiLower » Thu May 06, 2010 4:59 pm

redsox wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

"Maybe you should change religions"

LOL@ telling me about immaturity. You are a bigger piece of garbage than romothesavior. Typical 0L. No wonder nobody likes lawyers.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu May 06, 2010 5:03 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:
redsox wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

"Maybe you should change religions"

[strike]LOL@ telling me about immaturity. You are a bigger piece of garbage than romothesavior. Typical 0L. No wonder nobody likes lawyers.[/strike]

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu May 06, 2010 5:04 pm

redsox wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

+1. You made a thread bitching about getting shut out of schools that you had no business applying to, and now you are giving out terrible advice to this OP. Sorry if you think I'm a d-bag, but there is a reason people are getting sick of you.

Again, your LSAT is why you got rejected/WL'd. You applied to no safety/target schools, besides Loyola and Miami. Let's take a look at these school's median LSATs:

Cornell: 167
USC:166
UCLA:168
Virginia:170
Hastings/Davis: 164
Fordham PT:163
Georgetown PT:165
BU: 165 (I think)

You struck out because you overreached, not because you are young, have an inflated GPA, or any other reason.

Once again, OP, take the classes you want to take and don't listen to to punjabi.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu May 06, 2010 5:05 pm

I'm not a piece of garbage! :cry:

People on TLS think I'm charming, witty, and devilishly good looking. But thanks for playing!

PunjabiLower

Bronze

Post by PunjabiLower » Thu May 06, 2010 5:09 pm

No, I agree. By all means take the "classes you want to take." I'm just saying I think a 3.84,162 deserves a WL at hastings and an acceptance at loyola. I'm just saying put more focus on your LSAT and that schools will see the difference between your degree GPA and cumulative GPA. Just my 2 cents. We each give our own advice. I don't think personally bashing the other person's stats or situation does any good for the OP. At the end of the day, take the classes you want and do whatever with your GPA. They will see the difference between the two GPA's. That's all I'm saying.

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Thu May 06, 2010 5:10 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:"Maybe you should change religions"

LOL@ telling me about immaturity. You are a bigger piece of garbage than romothesavior. Typical 0L. No wonder nobody likes lawyers.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =9&t=80948

Here's the thread you're referring to. It was a better read before you started deleting your posts.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu May 06, 2010 5:13 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:No, I agree. By all means take the "classes you want to take." I'm just saying I think a 3.84,162 deserves a WL at hastings and an acceptance at loyola. I'm just saying put more focus on your LSAT and that schools will see the difference between your degree GPA and cumulative GPA. Just my 2 cents. We each give our own advice. I don't think personally bashing the other person's stats or situation does any good for the OP. At the end of the day, take the classes you want and do whatever with your GPA. They will see the difference between the two GPA's. That's all I'm saying.
I'd be willing to bet my left testicle that out of all the things adcomms have to do (compile scores, read PS's, read addendums, look over resumes, compare similarly situated candidates, etc.), one of the last things on their checklist is going to be "ZOMG! This kid took ballroom dancing and ceramics as a second semester senior!"

It is unlikely they will notice, and even more unlikely they will care. Especially if these "easy" classes occur during your senior year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PunjabiLower

Bronze

Post by PunjabiLower » Thu May 06, 2010 5:14 pm

redsox wrote:

Here's the thread you're referring to. It was a better read before you started deleting your posts.
Yeah, cause I didn't write that back then. It was one of my relatives. HAHA...look through the thread and you'll see who it really was.

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Thu May 06, 2010 5:20 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:
redsox wrote:

Yeah, cause I didn't write that back then. It was one of my relatives. HAHA...look through the thread and you'll see who it really was.
I'll need to keep that one handy when I look like an idiot online. "No, guys, really, one of my...relatives...wrote that, not me."

PunjabiLower

Bronze

Post by PunjabiLower » Thu May 06, 2010 5:24 pm

redsox wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:
redsox wrote:

I'll need to keep that one handy when I look like an idiot online. "No, guys, really, one of my...relatives...wrote that, not me."
K. Regardless, you can't save yourself from that comment. :( GRAZIE.

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Thu May 06, 2010 5:30 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:K. Regardless, you can't save yourself from that comment. :( GRAZIE.
What?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu May 06, 2010 5:30 pm

redsox wrote:
PunjabiLower wrote:K. Regardless, you can't save yourself from that comment. :( GRAZIE.
What?

PunjabiLower

Bronze

Post by PunjabiLower » Thu May 06, 2010 5:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
redsox wrote:
What?
Average of 56 posts per day. LOLZ@U

thanks though... I feel good getting 86th percentile at age 18, when everyone else is 21+. Hopefully I'll get 167+ when I actually take the test seriously without going to school. We shall see.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu May 06, 2010 5:40 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
redsox wrote:
What?

thanks though... I feel good getting 86th percentile at age 18, when everyone else is 21+. Hopefully I'll get 167+ when I actually take the test seriously without going to school. We shall see.
It's a skills test, you being younger is only an advantage. People lose their edge as they get older.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu May 06, 2010 5:41 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
redsox wrote:
What?

--ImageRemoved--

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PunjabiLower

Bronze

Post by PunjabiLower » Thu May 06, 2010 5:43 pm

LOLWTF haha

LateNight

Bronze

Post by LateNight » Thu May 06, 2010 5:48 pm

My "awesome" pre-law adviser said that padding a GPA is death. They will look at your transcript and it will be apparent what you are doing.

I don't believe a damn word of what she says. She told me to change my major to economics because political science was over represented.

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Thu May 06, 2010 5:49 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:Average of 56 posts per day. LOLZ@U

You spent enough time and effort prepping (90 percent of your energy) that your grades suffered and your GPA is going down by .15. Let me remind you:
PunjabiLower wrote:See what really is irritating is that my gpa has dropped this past year because I have focused 90 percent of my energy on the LSAT and about 10 percent on my school work. The LSAT hindered my ability to perform well in school and vice versa. My cumulative is expected to go from 3.84 to 3.69. So what really can change with a 3.69,162? An acceptance at Davis?

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Thu May 06, 2010 5:52 pm

wow this thread is getting interesting

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”