LOCI: Should I mention where I sent my deposit?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Raskolnikoff

LOCI: Should I mention where I sent my deposit?

Postby Raskolnikoff » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:31 am

Should I mention where I sent my deposit in a LOCI to another school? Does not sound like a bad idea, any reservations??

Raskolnikoff

Re: LOCI: Should I mention where I sent my deposit?

Postby Raskolnikoff » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:14 am

bump

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:16 am

Post an example of your LOCI? PM it to me? I need to do one, but would love an example.

Baloo

Postby Baloo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:30 pm

I don't know about in an LOCI. Seems a little strange and sort of defeats the purpose and title of an LOCI. Your supposed to be showing interest in the school of concern, not say that you've put a deposit down elsewhere so it's no big deal if you don't get in to this specific school. Unless you're saying something like, "despite having paid my deposit at school X, I am still interested in school Y and would attend if admitted." Steel seems iffy to me. I did mention a school I'd have to pay a deposit to soon in a thank you email I sent to an adcoms Dean after I spoke with the Dean on the phone regarding my WL app. Not sure if that helps

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:32 pm

Had a long talk with my bf about this the other night (yes, we're lame, I know). We concluded that you should leave the "other" schools out of it. They know you're going to put down a deposit somewhere else. Think of it this way: if they have two people with LOCI's and virtually the same application, are they going to go with the person who they KNOW put down a deposit at another school or the person who only focused on how much they love their school?

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:35 pm

Raskolnikoff wrote:Should I mention where I sent my deposit in a LOCI to another school? Does not sound like a bad idea, any reservations??

Slight variation of the OP's question: is it appropriate to mention your other scholarship options? I'm tempted to tell my WL school that I'd gladly attend at full price, even if it means turning down a near full ride at a fairly similarly ranked school.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:39 pm

JOThompson wrote:
Raskolnikoff wrote:Should I mention where I sent my deposit in a LOCI to another school? Does not sound like a bad idea, any reservations??

Slight variation of the OP's question: is it appropriate to mention your other scholarship options? I'm tempted to tell my WL school that I'd gladly attend at full price, even if it means turning down a near full ride at a fairly similarly ranked school.

I think the answer to both is that you should address in a general sense. Saying "Despite highly attractive scholarship/acceptance offers are comparably ranked schools, X remains my first choice." is a way of communicating sincere interest and emphasizing you are drawn to a unique culture and not just a random ranking. I don't think you need to name names. (Though if the school was significantly higher I might. For example saying you intend to walk away from Harvard for a lower T14.)

NightHooded

Postby NightHooded » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:14 pm

I don't think name-dropping is bad if it's done tastefully and the school is a rival. I could see saying "Dear CLS, Although I've put my deposit down already for NYU, I plan to remain on your waitlist because..........."

Otherwise, how do they necessarily know you do have good options? If you say "I've put my deposit down at another highly-regarded school" it could be Yale or Duke or USC or....

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:47 pm

First, judging from your posted profile, I think that you did not apply to enough law schools.
Second, I love Crime & Punishment.
Third, buy a recent issue of USNews' Guide To Graduate Schools & check out which three law schools reported 100% employment 9 months after graduation.
Congratulations!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”