Confusion about LSDAS and LoR process..

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tttlllsss

Confusion about LSDAS and LoR process..

Postby tttlllsss » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:13 am

I just noticed that I need to register w/ LSDAS and pay an LSDAS fee (Credential Assembly Service) in order to have LSAC process my LoRs, my PSs, my transcript, and so forth.

First, do I need to register w/ LSDAS before my recommenders send their LoRs? In other words, will LSAC accept my LoRs even though I have not registered w/ LSDAS and paid the fee? I plan on paying the fee later on, but I would like to have these LoRs submitted as soon as possible.

Second, I noticed that the LSAC LoR form requires the recommender's address. Do I necessarily have to obtain the recommender's address prior to giving the recommender the LSAC LoR form? It seems a bit hokey to ask the recommender for his address before I can print out the LoR form and give it to him.

Kilpatrick

Re: Confusion about LSDAS and LoR process..

Postby Kilpatrick » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:25 am

Yes you have to sign up for LSDAS first. If you can't afford the fee, try applying for a fee waiver. Otherwise, you're gonna have to do it eventually anyway, just get it over with.

And you don't put your recommenders home address on the form, just put the school's address.

voice of reason

Postby voice of reason » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:28 am

I believe that you do have to pay the fee before you can have your LoR writers send in their letters, because as I recall you have to give them a form that will have your LSAC number on it. You're not going to have an LSAC number until you've registered with LSDAS.

As for the addresses, don't bother your recommenders by asking for those. Look them up yourself. (These are work addresses you should be able to find on their web page, or on their department's web page.)

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:32 am

So, I have 2 conflicting thoughts here .. should I put the school's general mailing address on the form or should I actually put the recommender's office address?

I don't know why this is so unintuitive for me..

EDIT: Also, I already am registered w/ LSAC (I took the LSAT earlier this year), so I do have an LSAC number. However, I have not registered for the LSDAS service nor have I paid the LSDAS fee..

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:48 am

Don't worry it was unintuitive for all of us. It is best to let your LOR writer know well ahead of time. Also make sure they understand that they are your partners in this and you will do whatever they need you to do (except write it yourself). You will possibly want them to write several versions of the same letter. One general LOR to use at several schools and individual LORs for his alma mater or a school that has a specialty you like, another for the school at which you want to ED, etc. You should also let her know you will ask her for help later with scholarship LOR too. Just in case.

So it is going to be a bit of a pain and you'll have to be a pest. It will be best if you are organized and come up with a lot of information that you would like in the LORs. Have everything ready for them, including envelopes. They will take twice as long as they estimate to finish the letters, so good job for asking now.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:10 am

I just put the regular school mailing address and I didn't have any problems

afa_brandon

Postby afa_brandon » Thu May 20, 2010 12:20 pm

I know this thread is a month old, but for forum search to be reliable, old threads have to be accurate :)

You do NOT have to pay the CAS fee before assembling LORs. At least, not before generating the cover form from LSAC. I registered with LSAC (free) then just filled out the recommender form and it allowed me to generate the form with the barcode that'll accompany my recommender's letter.

I assume LSAC will accept the letters even if I haven't yet paid my CAS fee, but I can't be certain, as I'm just now handing out the forms to my profs.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”