Will my MFA mean anything to Columbia?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
twintipping_bumps

Will my MFA mean anything to Columbia?

Postby twintipping_bumps » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:42 pm

Along with UCLA, Columbia is a reach that would be huge if I could grasp. Though for sure I haven't been attentive to all the top schools, Columbia is the only school I have seen that lists all the various types of advanced degrees its entering class members hold on its website for its entering class profile. Since the variety of degrees appears to be important to Columbia due to its listing of the various degrees, do you think Columbia is interested in me? I applied in November and haven't heard anything. I am below both 25th percentiles, but I am trained in both Music and Film, and there aren't any MFAs listed for last year's class. As with UCLA, I think I could make huge advancements in my career at Columbia. Many of my entertainment industry contacts are in NYC.

Right now I am gearing up for Emory. I am excited to attend Emory and wondering if I can find my way into the Rap scene, which would be big. But I wonder if I still have a shot at Columbia, where there would be greater film, music, and fashion options. I do believe it is a numbers game, and my numbers just don't stack up, which makes me really regret my terrible freshman year performance over a decade ago. But with an entering class of over 300 people, is there any hope for a person below both 25th percentiles that has a unique degree to list and indications of an ability to progress in an exciting field at a top level?

rundoxierun

Re: Will my MFA mean anything to Columbia?

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:53 pm

twintipping_bumps wrote:Along with UCLA, Columbia is a reach that would be huge if I could grasp. Though for sure I haven't been attentive to all the top schools, Columbia is the only school I have seen that lists all the various types of advanced degrees its entering class members hold on its website for its entering class profile. Since the variety of degrees appears to be important to Columbia due to its listing of the various degrees, do you think Columbia is interested in me? I applied in November and haven't heard anything. I am below both 25th percentiles, but I am trained in both Music and Film, and there aren't any MFAs listed for last year's class. As with UCLA, I think I could make huge advancements in my career at Columbia. Many of my entertainment industry contacts are in NYC.

Right now I am gearing up for Emory. I am excited to attend Emory and wondering if I can find my way into the Rap scene, which would be big. But I wonder if I still have a shot at Columbia, where there would be greater film, music, and fashion options. I do believe it is a numbers game, and my numbers just don't stack up, which makes me really regret my terrible freshman year performance over a decade ago. But with an entering class of over 300 people, is there any hope for a person below both 25th percentiles that has a unique degree to list and indications of an ability to progress in an exciting field at a top level?

Please tell me you mean to say you are interested in entertainment law..

twintipping_bumps

Postby twintipping_bumps » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:58 pm

Yes, that is what I am saying. I have worked as a producer on a few films. And I am trained in music. As well, I have worked with musicians in regards to securing rights for films. If attending Emory, the Rap genre within the entertainment industry would seem a logical place to look for work. I like all types of music that appeal to my brain as configured by 21st century popular culture.

My true desire is to be involved with films like GREENBERG, ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND, or THE THIN RED LINE in a significant manner. But I will go wherever I can reach the highest level in the entertainment industry.
Last edited by twintipping_bumps on Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:59 pm

1) It will mean something - you can probably tell a good story about your interest in entertainment law.

2) It almost certainly will not mean enough to overcome being below both 25ths.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:59 pm

Besides the terrible freshman year, you have a 166. Sorry, but no. You probably have a decent shot at Fordham if you want NYC. Frankly, you're a long shot at ANY of the T14. Masters degrees mean next to nothing to schools. The gpa's are HIGHLY inflated and as a result, a small soft factor at best.

That said, I'd say if your gpa is above a 3.6, you could always apply next year and try for an LSAT of 174/5 plus.

twintipping_bumps

Postby twintipping_bumps » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:04 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote: Masters degrees mean next to nothing to schools.

Yeah, I am learning that. I am probably letting my hopes get ahead of me since I figure Columbia should have denied me by now. Just looking for a reality check, I suppose.

My degree granting College's GPA is just over 3.6, but the first year and a half at another school bring it down to just a bit over 3 LSDAS-style.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:21 pm

twintipping_bumps wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote: Masters degrees mean next to nothing to schools.

Yeah, I am learning that. I am probably letting my hopes get ahead of me since I figure Columbia should have denied me by now. Just looking for a reality check, I suppose.

My degree granting College's GPA is just over 3.6, but the first year and a half at another school bring it down to just a bit over 3 LSDAS-style.

You got into Emory and are on the waitlist at Vandy, don't get too down on yourself!

twintipping_bumps

Postby twintipping_bumps » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:26 pm

Thanks - don't get me wrong: I am totally psyched on Emory and grateful to be going there. I know I can make it happen there. Vanderbilt would be huge because Country Blues is more the music I play and like, but I enjoy all top 40 music.

It's just that, every day that passes, I wonder why I don't hear from Columbia. It's probably just because they have so many applications, but I know I can do the work there and end up in a good spot.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”