Anonymity on TLS

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Why be anonymous?

Firms
19%
Classmates
17%
Other
22%
None of your business!
43%

Total votes: 54

TheBigMediocre

Re: Anonymity on TLS

Postby TheBigMediocre » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:23 am

Danteshek wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
Danteshek wrote:I don't see any need to be anonymous. Many forums require real names. TLS would be a better place if it did.

I could not disagree with this statement more. Everyone would lurk, most people would be afraid of asking "stupid" questions, and nothing would be funny, ever.

It's possible to be funny and not be a jerk. I would like to see more mature discourse on TLS.

:roll:

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:46 am

People should get used to expressing themselves online as they would IRL. In the future the internet will be even more important as a tool for developing your professional reputation. It just seems silly for law students to be acting like children. I doubt there is such a forum for medical students. It reflects poorly on us.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:00 am

Snoopy1216

Postby Snoopy1216 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:00 am

Danteshek wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
Danteshek wrote:I don't see any need to be anonymous. Many forums require real names. TLS would be a better place if it did.

I could not disagree with this statement more. Everyone would lurk, most people would be afraid of asking "stupid" questions, and nothing would be funny, ever.

It's possible to be funny and not be a jerk. I would like to see more mature discourse on TLS.

In this case, who would write anything on TLS in fear of an adcomm giving the applicant the X because of the way the person came off (ex. person says something in favor of beef, adcomms are looking for a vegetarian to fill the class).

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:06 am

Wow, this is a gem.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:10 am

I loled @ this

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:13 am

This thread is pretty funny timing. I just mentioned over in UC Davis thread how a query I made today (and subsequent posting on TLS) basically outed myself to any Davis admin who cared to lurk. Any Davis-bound TLSer will know me in about 15 seconds from meeting me this fall, based on username alone, probably.

Luckily, there's nothing I can think of that I'd need to distance myself from that I've said here. (Maybe one stupid half-joke early on and a little childish invective directed at adcoms.)

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:06 am

Nightrunner wrote:
I agree with you on your aspiration, but I imagine that the paranoid world of snooping AdComms + future classmates + required real names would mean that [strike]80% of TLS[/strike] the lounge would cease to be. There wouldn't be much discourse at all. Compared to places like AutoAdmit, TLS is light-years closer to mature discourse.

fixed

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”