Foreign UG Cycles

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
FlanAl

Foreign UG Cycles

Postby FlanAl » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:38 pm

Hi,

Wondering how students who attended foreign undergrads and have no GPA just "superior, above average etc." are doing this cycle. Anyone from cycles past have stories to share? Anyone in the t14? Do you think your cycle has been pretty much determined by your lsat? Any anecdotes would be very appreciated.

Thanks!!!

baboon309

Re: Foreign UG Cycles

Postby baboon309 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:49 pm

FlanAl wrote:Hi,

Wondering how students who attended foreign undergrads and have no GPA just "superior, above average etc." are doing this cycle. Anyone from cycles past have stories to share? Anyone in the t14? Do you think your cycle has been pretty much determined by your lsat? Any anecdotes would be very appreciated.

Thanks!!!

friend of mine got into Berkely last year.

Stats:

LSAT: 163
UGPA: 3.95 from TOP 10 undergrad in East Asia
Cal Tech PHD
Co-founder of a failed tech startup.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:46 pm

Thanks! guess i'll just bump this thread in a few days and see if anyone else has any stories

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:30 pm

bump

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:34 am

Well this thread was started to see how people did during last year's cycle. Thought I'd revive it as a place where those with a foreign undergrad degree could come for info/advice and vent about LSAC etc. during this current cycle. I am dealing with the process with both a degree from a UK institution and some US college grades (which are bringing me down :x )

Good luck this cycle!

ps
It would also be fantastic if people from previous cycles could comment as well

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:41 am

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=98683

This might help for some info regarding the delay it takes for people living outside of the U.S. I think the majority of the posters there graduated from a U.S. UG though.

Good luck everyone :)

xqhp82

Postby xqhp82 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:48 am

hey there, also a UK applicant here....one question to all foreign applicants, how did/do you guys deal with application forms which has compulsory/fixed number of numbers for 'state', 'phone number,' 'zip code' and social security number? There is no way I could fit in/make up the info above but I obviously can't leave them blank so what do I write? N/A or 00000 or xxxxx or pick a random state from the options?

thesybarite

Postby thesybarite » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:10 am

I'm interested in this too. I'm international and will be applying this cycle.

thesybarite

Postby thesybarite » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:16 am

xqhp82 wrote:hey there, also a UK applicant here....one question to all foreign applicants, how did/do you guys deal with application forms which has compulsory/fixed number of numbers for 'state', 'phone number,' 'zip code' and social security number? There is no way I could fit in/make up the info above but I obviously can't leave them blank so what do I write? N/A or 00000 or xxxxx or pick a random state from the options?

I actually called LSAC about this. It was a while ago so I don't remember exactly what she said, something about being able to print the form and fill it out manually, but in the end I have just left it blank.

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:25 am

xqhp82 wrote:hey there, also a UK applicant here....one question to all foreign applicants, how did/do you guys deal with application forms which has compulsory/fixed number of numbers for 'state', 'phone number,' 'zip code' and social security number? There is no way I could fit in/make up the info above but I obviously can't leave them blank so what do I write? N/A or 00000 or xxxxx or pick a random state from the options?

According to the thread I posted, here's what one TLS-er did:

Because online law apps rarely have enough space for international phone numbers, I sent the same generic email to every school I applied to, saying 'this is my french phone number, good till such and such a date, if you want a us contact, call my father at this number...' Chicago actually took me up on it, so they called him and he emailed me.

Apparently schools don't do international phone calls often, so usually overseas applicants end up waiting a week or more to see if they got in or not by snail mail.

xqhp82

Postby xqhp82 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:26 am

i must say i'm kind of surprised about some law schools' lack of flexibility in designing their application forms when they actually have quite a proportion of international students studying there (ahem). I also can't believe they prefer snail mails than email....i am going to have an anxious cycle checking my mail box every hour or so and getting mad about their snail-speed...

thanks for the quote kazu, I realized some schools actually do phone calls so it makes sense that I email each school to confirm that. it's going to be on my resume anyway but just to make things clear...anyone else have any thoughts on social security number and state? I tried to leave them blank but LSAC wouldn't let me save the form. I hope in case I don't do it the way they want I won't get penalized?

MrAdams

Postby MrAdams » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:09 pm

Fun and games. I am going to be in the same situation very soon. Studied on exchange last year so my UK LS is going to have to translate my foreign grades into my school's grading system in November. Then I will be able to provide a prospective degree class for LSAC. Hopefully they will get my transcript evaluated sharpish.

As far as phone numbers are concerned. Most of the applications I have started so far have allowed me at least somewhere to put a number as long as this: +44##########. 3 digits for the country calling code, 4 for the area code and 6 for the house #.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”