% of prestigious undergrads in LS

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Unemployed

Re: % of prestigious undergrads in LS

Postby Unemployed » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:30 pm

$1.99 wrote:yes upenn is a top 5 undergrad, but wharton is what makes it prestigious, if you tell me you went to upenn to study english i will slap you just like i would slap someone who went to harvard to major in arabic studies, so here is my final list.

"Winners Circle"
1. Harvard
2. Yale
3. Princeton
4. MIT

"Winners' Sidekicks"
1. Stanford

"Good Enough Circle"
1. Columbia
2. Wharton
3. Economics Majors at U Chicago
4. Caltech

"Garbage Wannabes"
1. NYU
2. USC
3. All private liberal arts colleges
4. Cornell
5. Brown
6. Dartmouth
7. Rest of UPenn

IBCrackberry

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:34 pm

$1.99 wrote:yes upenn is a top 5 undergrad, but wharton is what makes it prestigious, if you tell me you went to upenn to study english i will slap you just like i would slap someone who went to harvard to major in arabic studies, so here is my final list.

"Winners Circle"
1. Harvard
2. Yale
3. Princeton
4. MIT

"Winners' Sidekicks"
1. Stanford

"Good Enough Circle"
1. Columbia
2. Wharton
4. Caltech

"Garbage Wannabes"
1. NYU
2. USC
4. Cornell
5. Brown
6. Dartmouth
7. Rest of UPenn

Subtle Harvard, Princeton, and MIT trolling?

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:36 pm

whitman wrote:You don't think UNC's undergrad is an elite undergrad, but Michigan and UCLA are? Interesting. I'd always thought UNC and UVA undergrads were equivalent, with Michigan behind.

Wrong. Michigan=Berkeley. Followed by UVA=UNC=UIUC=UT=UCLA etc.

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:38 pm

$1.99 wrote:If you don't go to harvard, yale, princeton, MIT, or stanford, you are a TTT undergraduate

lol

toaster2

Postby toaster2 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:42 pm

Last edited by toaster2 on Tue May 25, 2010 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:46 pm

toaster2 wrote:why no respect for the liberal arts and LACs?

Because engineers and scientists have undue superiority complexes.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:49 pm

because all you guys do is read the same books and think you are smart because you found the "hidden meaning" behind them when all you did was go to sparknotes.com and look at the close reading sections. then, you get A's for writing subjective essays that you can't really back up. lastly, all you dopes think you are major philosophers just because you heard the name aristotle in one of your classics courses. on top of that, a liberal arts degree is more useless than sarah palin. you are an embarrassment to yourself, your family, and humanity in general. may god have mercy on your souls.

Tofu

Postby Tofu » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:50 pm

"Winners Circle"
1. Harvard
2. Yale
3. Princeton
4. MIT

"Winners' Sidekicks"
1. Stanford

"Good Enough Circle"
1. Columbia
2. Wharton
4. Caltech

"Garbage Wannabes"
1. NYU
2. USC
4. Cornell
5. Brown
6. Dartmouth
7. Rest of UPenn

where's crackberry?

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:50 pm

and what is UNC? i have never heard anyone mention north carolina as a decent school. that school is irrelevant unless you made it to the sweet sixteen.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:02 am

Unemployed wrote:
fortissimo wrote:
$1.99 wrote:i was about to include caltech, columbia, kids who go to wharton, kids who study economics at chicago, and a couple other groups but i was too lazy to type them in.

Kids who go to Wharton? Why only Wharton? Isn't UPenn a top 5 undergrad?

UPenn = NYULaw of undergrads :lol:

Yeah but UPenn actually has other top notch programs. NYU just has a top law school...and lady gaga and the olsen twigs.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:08 am

"Winners Circle"
1. Harvard
2. Yale
3. Princeton
4. MIT

"Winners' Sidekicks"
1. Stanford

"Good Enough Circle"
1. Columbia
2. Wharton
4. Caltech

"Garbage Wannabes"
1. NYU
2. USC
4. Cornell
5. Brown
6. Dartmouth
7. Rest of UPenn

Yeah, Stanford should be in the first group.

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:08 am

fortissimo wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
fortissimo wrote:
$1.99 wrote:i was about to include caltech, columbia, kids who go to wharton, kids who study economics at chicago, and a couple other groups but i was too lazy to type them in.

Kids who go to Wharton? Why only Wharton? Isn't UPenn a top 5 undergrad?

UPenn = NYULaw of undergrads :lol:

Yeah but UPenn actually has other top notch programs. NYU just has a top law school...and lady gaga and the olsen twigs.

yeh nyu is good but not great except for their law school or some fine arts graduate program or something

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:10 am

thinkbig wrote: yeh nyu is good but not great except for their law school or some fine arts graduate program or something

NYU is extremely mediocre outside of "the acting arts" or whatever that field is and law. And it's also extremely expensive, it costs more than most Ivies.

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:11 am

ConMan345 wrote:

"Winners Circle"
1. Harvard
2. Yale
3. Princeton
4. MIT

"Winners' Sidekicks"
1. Stanford

"Good Enough Circle"
1. Columbia
2. Wharton
4. Caltech

"Garbage Wannabes"
1. NYU
2. USC
4. Cornell
5. Brown
6. Dartmouth
7. Rest of UPenn

Yeah, Stanford should be in the first group.

How can you say Economics majors at U Chicago but not Engineering majors at MIT (for example)?

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:12 am

And really, it's HYPSm----MIT is a very good trade school.

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:17 am

$1.99 wrote:because all you guys do is read the same books and think you are smart because you found the "hidden meaning" behind them when all you did was go to sparknotes.com and look at the close reading sections. then, you get A's for writing subjective essays that you can't really back up. lastly, all you dopes think you are major philosophers just because you heard the name aristotle in one of your classics courses. on top of that, a liberal arts degree is more useless than sarah palin. you are an embarrassment to yourself, your family, and humanity in general. may god have mercy on your souls.

I understand if you're jealous; it's natural to regret one's weaknesses. How about I won't insult you for being good at math if you don't insult me for being good at reading and writing?

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:20 am

"Winners Circle"
1. Harvard
2. Yale
3. Princeton
4. MIT

"Winners' Sidekicks"
1. Stanford

"Good Enough Circle"
1. Columbia
2. Wharton
4. Caltech

"Garbage Wannabes"
1. NYU
2. USC
4. Cornell
5. Brown
6. Dartmouth
7. Rest of UPenn

Not so subtle anti-California trolling. Seriously, Caltech no. 4 in the "good enough circle"? Charles Eppes teaches there and he was an elf.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:22 am

fortissimo wrote:
kdw94780 wrote:Sorry for the Michigan hating. I just have had less respect for their undergrad school ever since I met a 2009 Mich ugrad alum (w/ honors) who's been working as a waitress for the past year while having to pay off $60,000 in student loans...ouch.

It's called being a liberal arts major. Science majors don't respect LA majors from any school.

Also, are you from Kansas? If so, then that's just weird.

QFT. People from preftigious LACs always look at me funny when I give them the "oh that's nice" when they tell me where they went to UG.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:25 am

thinkbig wrote:
toaster2 wrote:why no respect for the liberal arts and LACs?

Because engineers and scientists have [strike]undue[/strike] superiority complexes over being employable.

Trifles

Postby Trifles » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:25 am

People from prestigious undergrads make me lol on the inside. Way to bust your ass to get top grades in highschool, undergrad, and maybe even pick up a masters degree. That's like what, 10 years of hard work just to end up in the same place as me because I did well on a four hour test? Way to throw your youth away for no reason, chumps.

violinst

Postby violinst » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:34 am

Trifles wrote:People from prestigious undergrads make me lol on the inside. Way to bust your ass to get top grades in highschool, undergrad, and maybe even pick up a masters degree. That's like what, 10 years of hard work just to end up in the same place as me because I did well on a four hour test? Way to throw your youth away for no reason, chumps.

It's always about the process. Learning is fulfilling, even when you are young.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:37 am

Trifles wrote:People from prestigious undergrads make me lol on the inside. Way to bust your ass to get top grades in highschool, undergrad, and maybe even pick up a masters degree. That's like what, 10 years of hard work just to end up in the same place as me because I did well on a four hour test? Way to throw your youth away for no reason, chumps.

Yeah... I'm not sure you'll have a ton of classmates from prestigious undergrads.

violinst

Postby violinst » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:42 am

Unemployed wrote:

Yeah... I'm not sure you'll have a ton of classmates from prestigious undergrads.

Ouch!

Trifles

Postby Trifles » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:44 am

violinst wrote:

Learning IS fulfilling, it also doesn't require a degree or busy work to accomplish, unless you want a pat on the back for how smart you are and to be spoonfed what a professor wants you to learn.

violinst

Postby violinst » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:05 am

Trifles wrote:
violinst wrote:

Learning IS fulfilling, it also doesn't require a degree or busy work to accomplish, unless you want a pat on the back for how smart you are and to be spoonfed what a professor wants you to learn.

Fulfillment in learning requires hard work, as you should not feel fulfilled unless you have tried your hardest (If you are fulfilled without trying your hardest, you are delusional).

Degrees and "pat on the back" are irrelevant to whether one finds fulfillment in learning. The former is a self-esteem issue.

Good institutions (think that crazy MIT) will in general provide a more robust learning environment (so less spoon-feeding).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”