% of prestigious undergrads in LS

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ConMan345

Re: % of prestigious undergrads in LS

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:20 pm

violinst wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
violinst wrote:
Well, for Yale Law, you at least need to work your butt off to get a high LSAT score, hence a fairer game.

Hmm, this seems to be a bit of a shaky conclusion.

I know what you mean.

lawl.

But seriously, are you saying that having to work hard makes it fairer, getting a high LSAT score makes it fairer, or, more generally, the use of the LSAT makes it fairer? In any case, I think it's a fallacy to say that a 3.8 at HYPS works less hard than/is not as smart as a 3.8 at XYZ State. You could argue, actually, that grade inflation at top institution makes GPAs more like the LSAT rather than less.

violinst

Postby violinst » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:25 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
violinst wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
violinst wrote:
Well, for Yale Law, you at least need to work your butt off to get a high LSAT score, hence a fairer game.

I know what you mean.

lawl.

But seriously, are you saying that having to work hard makes it fairer, getting a high LSAT score makes it fairer, or, more generally, the use of the LSAT makes it fairer? In any case, I think it's a fallacy to say that a 3.8 at HYPS works less hard than/is not as smart as a 3.8 at XYZ State. You could argue, actually, that grade inflation at top institution makes GPAs more like the LSAT rather than less.

LSAT is a fairer game.

From my perspective, I got into two of the top institutions with grade inflation ( 8) )at the time but decided to go to my LAC. Little did I know that the latter had a 2.9 curve. So...

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:31 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
CordeliusX wrote:The worst was this guy who had silk-screened for himself a "top dawg" shirt, and the back said "#1 GPA in XYZ College graduating class"... and I later learned that he was getting requests from other students there for their own shirts.

Psyche. :mrgreen:

Jokes on him, they still end up at the same school.

your inferiority complex is showing.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:32 pm

violinst wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
violinst wrote:
lawl.

LSAT is a fairer game.

From my perspective, I got into two of the top institutions with grade inflation ( 8) )at the time but decided to go to my LAC. Little did I know that the latter had a 2.9 curve. So...

Yeah, I'd be upset as well, haha. Reed, I presume?

From my perspective, LAC are claustrophobically small.

violinst

Postby violinst » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:43 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
violinst wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
violinst wrote:
lawl.

LSAT is a fairer game.

Yeah, I'd be upset as well, haha. Reed, I presume?

From my perspective, LAC are claustrophobically small.

No. But what happened to Reed? I just checked its ranking. 49! Not even on the first TWO pages of the USNWR ranking! It was much higher 10 years ago (oops, I am old).

I love my LAC though. No regret here at all.

"clasutrophobically small" -- I may choose Cornell exactly for this reason.
Last edited by violinst on Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:43 pm

They had a guest list at the HLS ASW. I actually counted up all the schools because I had a 30 hour bus ride back home.

Of the 243 students at the ASW, 150 were from either a top 10 LAC or top 25 national university (according to USNWR). 65 of those were HYPS. Most of the remainders were recognizable schools probably in the top 50. Someone did go to Sonoma State, though.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:05 pm

Both HLS and YLS have about 40% Ivy grads and another ~10% from Stanford/Berkeley.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48746

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:14 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
violinst wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
violinst wrote:

I know what you mean.

lawl.

There are studies out there that control for SAT/ACT scores, and still find private school grades significantly more inflated than those at public schools.

whitman

Postby whitman » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:21 pm

To the person that asked about top publics: they are generally considered Berkeley, Michigan, UVA, UCLA, UNC. There are other great publics, of course, but those are the five that are considered elite.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:23 pm

whitman wrote:To the person that asked about top publics: they are generally considered Berkeley, Michigan, UVA, UCLA, UNC. There are other great publics, of course, but those are the five that are considered elite.

To put UNC in that tier is to do a serious disservice to the other four schools in that list.

I grant you that UNC is a Top 5 large public, but it is not in the same league as Berkeley, Michigan, UVA and UCLA.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:27 pm

dutchstriker wrote:They had a guest list at the HLS ASW. I actually counted up all the schools because I had a 30 hour bus ride back home.

Of the 243 students at the ASW, 150 were from either a top 10 LAC or top 25 national university (according to USNWR). 65 of those were HYPS. Most of the remainders were recognizable schools probably in the top 50. Someone did go to Sonoma State, though.

TBH, this is the case up and down the law school rankings. Fordham is stuffed with Columbia, Cornell and Penn grads (though also a lot of NYU and Fordham UG). Conspicuously absent: other people who attended SUNY schools. Seriously, I think I know one person. God knows what they all think about me.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:30 pm

dutchstriker wrote:They had a guest list at the HLS ASW. I actually counted up all the schools because I had a 30 hour bus ride back home.

Holy crap.

Who?!

kdw94780

Postby kdw94780 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:34 pm

crackberry wrote:
whitman wrote:To the person that asked about top publics: they are generally considered Berkeley, Michigan, UVA, UCLA, UNC. There are other great publics, of course, but those are the five that are considered elite.

To put UNC in that tier is to do a serious disservice to the other four schools in that list.

I grant you that UNC is a Top 5 large public, but it is not in the same league as Berkeley, Michigan, UVA and UCLA.

I'd also take out Michigan for undergrad...seriously

whitman

Postby whitman » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:37 pm

You don't think UNC's undergrad is an elite undergrad, but Michigan and UCLA are? Interesting. I'd always thought UNC and UVA undergrads were equivalent, with Michigan behind.

violinst

Postby violinst » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:38 pm

crackberry wrote:

I wouldn't put UCLA in that league either. Berkeley, Michigan, and UVA are comparable, imo. UCLA is a step below, then you have UNC, Wisconsin, Illinois, Colorado, Texas, etc
Last edited by violinst on Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:39 pm

whitman wrote:You don't think UNC's undergrad is an elite undergrad, but Michigan and UCLA are? Interesting. I'd always thought UNC and UVA undergrads were equivalent, with Michigan behind.

Not according to the rankings...

The top publics are Berkeley, Michigan, UVA, and UCLA. They have very similar 25-75 interquartile ranges.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:40 pm

whitman wrote:You don't think UNC's undergrad is an elite undergrad, but Michigan and UCLA are? Interesting. I'd always thought UNC and UVA undergrads were equivalent, with Michigan behind.

Which school are more prestigious is more regional. In the midwest people think Michigan is elite, and think UNC isn't worth shit.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:41 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Which school are more prestigious is more regional. In the midwest people think Michigan is elite, and think UNC isn't worth shit.

Nobody knows wtf UNC is out west or in the midwest. First time I heard of it was after I graduated from college. (Then again nobody knows wtf UVA is either, but it is a legit top public.)

whitman

Postby whitman » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:44 pm

UNC's ranking is distorted due to high in-state requirements. Berkeley's is higher, true, but they have a much larger state to draw from. As a result, UNC's SAT scores, etc, are skewed downward. So maybe the student body is slightly less elite on average, but the institution and the top of the undergrad are on par, IMO.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:45 pm

If we're talking solely about UG, UCLA and Berkeley are pretty comparable. Berkeley is slightly better, but only slightly.

In my head it's Berkeley, UVA, UCLA, Michigan in that order, but I'm not sure why I think that.

kdw94780

Postby kdw94780 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:46 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

All Midwestern people think Michigan is elite? Haha, people who live west of the Mississippi wouldn't know the difference between Michigan and Michigan State. I think the only big public school to have national elite status is Berkeley. Berkeley is the only one that I think would be really competitive to get into. As for UCLA, it gets overshadowed by Berkeley. I understand though that it's really prestigious in Cali though. As for UVA, if you mentioned to someone from a state like mine (Missouri), they'd have to ask you what you mean. That's true because I had to ask someone where UVA was. :-) just my two cents It's just Berkeley, select privates, and whatever the big state school is in your state area that carry loads of prestige.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:47 pm

crackberry wrote: In my head it's Berkeley, UVA, UCLA, Michigan in that order, but I'm not sure why I think that.

USNews? That's exactly what the rankings are now.

When I applied for undergrad it was Berkeley, Michigan, UVA, UCLA.

whitman

Postby whitman » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:47 pm

Maybe it's just because I'm from the south, but I didn't even consider Michigan because if I was going public, I wanted either UVA or UNC. Michigan seemed a step below (I know US News says otherwise.) So to the person that said it's regional perception, I suppose you're right.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:49 pm

LOL at the blue collared public school kids duking it out. I don't know about the quality of my education, but at least my parents paid a lot of money for it so it's got to be prestigious.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:49 pm

whitman wrote:Maybe it's just because I'm from the south, but I didn't even consider Michigan because if I was going public, I wanted either UVA or UNC. Michigan seemed a step below (I know US News says otherwise.) So to the person that said it's regional perception, I suppose you're right.

I have no doubt that in the South, UNC and UVA are considered the top publics, but if we were to try to look at this from a region-neutral perspective, I think UNC is a step below the other four.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”