% of prestigious undergrads in LS Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ConMan345

Silver

Re: % of prestigious undergrads in LS

Post by ConMan345 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:08 am

Trifles wrote:
violinst wrote:
Trifles wrote:People from prestigious undergrads make me lol on the inside. Way to bust your ass to get top grades in highschool, undergrad, and maybe even pick up a masters degree. That's like what, 10 years of hard work just to end up in the same place as me because I did well on a four hour test? Way to throw your youth away for no reason, chumps.
It's always about the process. Learning is fulfilling, even when you are young.

Learning IS fulfilling, it also doesn't require a degree or busy work to accomplish, unless you want a pat on the back for how smart you are and to be spoonfed what a professor wants you to learn.
lol, an anti-conformist going to law school?

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:09 am

violinst wrote:
Trifles wrote:People from prestigious undergrads make me lol on the inside. Way to bust your ass to get top grades in highschool, undergrad, and maybe even pick up a masters degree. That's like what, 10 years of hard work just to end up in the same place as me because I did well on a four hour test? Way to throw your youth away for no reason, chumps.
It's always about the process. Learning is fulfilling, even when you are young.
+4.0

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:12 am

well for the guy who laughed at those who went to prestigious schools, i find that it was more about making good connections. your connections are definitely stronger at harvard than those you would find at a public school

violinst

Bronze

Post by violinst » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:17 am

$1.99 wrote:well for the guy who laughed at those who went to prestigious schools, i find that it was more about making good connections. your connections are definitely stronger at harvard than those you would find at a public school
That's definitely a benefit. Though I don't want to get hired by one of my classmates!

(I know that connections can be useful/meaningful in many other ways. I just have to make that exclamation.)

Dr. Strangelove

Silver

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:18 am

So many people get into top undergrads for reasons other than meritocratic ones. At law schools, it's a different ballgame.

It doesn't surprise me one bit that my undergrad's LSAT median of those who apply to law school is lower than the law school's median.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:20 am

$1.99 wrote:yes upenn is a top 5 undergrad, but wharton is what makes it prestigious, if you tell me you went to upenn to study english i will slap you just like i would slap someone who went to harvard to major in arabic studies, so here is my final list.

"Winners Circle"
1. Harvard
2. Yale
3. Princeton
4. MIT

"Winners' Sidekicks"
1. Stanford

"Good Enough Circle"
1. Columbia
2. Wharton
3. Economics Majors at U Chicago
4. Caltech

"Garbage Wannabes"
1. NYU
2. USC
3. All private liberal arts colleges
4. Cornell
5. Brown
6. Dartmouth
7. Rest of UPenn
I think UChicago pure math majors > econ majors fairly easily.

0Lhopeful

New

Post by 0Lhopeful » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:23 am

how about "tier 2" schools? any guesses as to the % of students from prestigious ug in schools like cardozo, brooklyn, maryland, villanova, etc?

violinst

Bronze

Post by violinst » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:24 am

5ky wrote:
$1.99 wrote:yes upenn is a top 5 undergrad, but wharton is what makes it prestigious, if you tell me you went to upenn to study english i will slap you just like i would slap someone who went to harvard to major in arabic studies, so here is my final list.

"Winners Circle"
1. Harvard
2. Yale
3. Princeton
4. MIT

"Winners' Sidekicks"
1. Stanford

"Good Enough Circle"
1. Columbia
2. Wharton
4. Caltech

"Garbage Wannabes"
1. NYU
2. USC
4. Cornell
5. Brown
6. Dartmouth
7. Rest of UPenn
Math majors always have my automatic respect. It's a pity that they can't even do the patent bar.

Trifles

Bronze

Post by Trifles » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:24 am

$1.99 wrote:well for the guy who laughed at those who went to prestigious schools, i find that it was more about making good connections. your connections are definitely stronger at harvard than those you would find at a public school
You'll make better business connections with some coke and strippers in one night then you'll make during 4 years worth of stimulating educational discussions at Harvard. Grow up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:25 am

violinst wrote:
5ky wrote:

"Winners Circle"
1. Harvard
2. Yale
3. Princeton
4. MIT

"Winners' Sidekicks"
1. Stanford

"Good Enough Circle"
1. Columbia
2. Wharton
4. Caltech

"Garbage Wannabes"
1. NYU
2. USC
4. Cornell
5. Brown
6. Dartmouth
7. Rest of UPenn
Math majors always have my automatic respect. It's a pity that they can't even do the patent bar.

Love the tar, violinist!

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:26 am

Trifles wrote:
You'll make better business connections with some coke and strippers in one night then you'll make during 4 years worth of stimulating educational discussions at Harvard. Grow up.
In my experience, totally untrue.

Edit: In hindsight, negotiation with the strippers may have gone better over Pepsi or Dr. Pepper.
Last edited by Unemployed on Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

violinst

Bronze

Post by violinst » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:29 am

JessicaTiger wrote:
violinst wrote:

Love the tar, violinist!
Finally!

(First time in my entire forum history. Thank you!)

I really enjoyed your open letter to that dude at the LSU ASD. It made my week.

clyde_barrow

New

Post by clyde_barrow » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:46 am

tomhobbes wrote:There are about 210 people on the YLS class of 2013 facebook group, and I'd estimate that 90% of them are from an Ivy, elite public (like Berkeley), or elite LAC. There are a huge number of people from Yale and Harvard. Yale and Harvard alone might make up 30% of the facebook group.
i noticed H and Y UG seemed to dominate the HLS ASW as well. that didn't strike me so much as their prevalence compared to princeton's. i just didn't see nearly as many Ps there; i don't see as many in the YLS admit fbook group; and i'm not sure i saw many at SLS's ASW this past weekend, either. am i imagining it? or could this have anything to do w/ it: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/31/educa ... ceton.html
Last edited by clyde_barrow on Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:01 am

This thread gets a big fat :roll:

barca

New

Post by barca » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:41 am

dutchstriker wrote:They had a guest list at the HLS ASW. I actually counted up all the schools because I had a 30 hour bus ride back home.

Of the 243 students at the ASW, 150 were from either a top 10 LAC or top 25 national university (according to USNWR). 65 of those were HYPS. Most of the remainders were recognizable schools probably in the top 50. Someone did go to Sonoma State, though.

I noticed too how many of the students on the list went to Ivies and top schools, but I think the actual representation in September will include more students from public schools in the midwest, west, etc. and from abroad - it's a lot easier to travel to Harvard from an Ivy, and im guessing this gives the admitted student a higher chance of being at the ASW.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:52 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: at you, $1.99.

You must be from the Northeast.

nuss3

New

Post by nuss3 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:40 am

$1.99 wrote:because all you guys do is read the same books and think you are smart because you found the "hidden meaning" behind them when all you did was go to sparknotes.com and look at the close reading sections. then, you get A's for writing subjective essays that you can't really back up. lastly, all you dopes think you are major philosophers just because you heard the name aristotle in one of your classics courses. on top of that, a liberal arts degree is more useless than sarah palin. you are an embarrassment to yourself, your family, and humanity in general. may god have mercy on your souls.
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm? ... id=1430654

i'm sorry, i think something is wrong with my computer: a liberal arts field seems to be tied for #1 among major fields of study. surely those dopes couldn't have scored so highly.

anyhow, about those unsubstantiated claims in subjective essays...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dutchstriker

Bronze

Post by dutchstriker » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:32 am

FWIW, I had just as easy a time getting an A in two semesters of organic chemistry as I did in my philosophy courses. I probably had to study a bit more for some of my science courses, but they weren't "harder" for me. And I can definitely write a hell of a lot better than my engineer friends.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:51 am

you, my good sir, are an asshat

just wait 'til you're in class with all the people who took their education seriously (whether at an elite school or at a less prestigious one)

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:50 am

nuss3 wrote:
$1.99 wrote:because all you guys do is read the same books and think you are smart because you found the "hidden meaning" behind them when all you did was go to sparknotes.com and look at the close reading sections. then, you get A's for writing subjective essays that you can't really back up. lastly, all you dopes think you are major philosophers just because you heard the name aristotle in one of your classics courses. on top of that, a liberal arts degree is more useless than sarah palin. you are an embarrassment to yourself, your family, and humanity in general. may god have mercy on your souls.
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm? ... id=1430654

i'm sorry, i think something is wrong with my computer: a liberal arts field seems to be tied for #1 among major fields of study. surely those dopes couldn't have scored so highly.

anyhow, about those unsubstantiated claims in subjective essays...
I mean technically math is a liberal arts field too, but social scientists shouldn't get credit for how hard a math major is. And economics is applied math and can involve some pretty tricky math at that.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:51 am

somewhatwayward wrote:
you, my good sir, are an asshat

just wait 'til you're in class with all the people who took their education seriously (whether at an elite school or at a less prestigious one)
LOL no.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:02 pm

what do you mean?

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:14 pm

I'm just glad NYU didn't care about my POS undergrad.

I have a hunch it hurt me at Columbia and Chicago, though. I think they want the pedigree in addition to the numbers, unless you have auto-admit numbers of course. For them, I think an Ivy or top-rated UG trumps a no-name UG and work experience.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:22 pm

This thread is retarded. You had a crappy SAT and fucked off in high school. Deal w/ it.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:43 pm

MrKappus wrote:This thread is retarded. You had a crappy SAT and fucked off in high school. Deal w/ it.
Your SAT scores and high school grades have very little impact on where you go to college. I'm speaking from personal experience.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”