% of prestigious undergrads in LS

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
ConMan345
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: % of prestigious undergrads in LS

Postby ConMan345 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:08 am

Trifles wrote:
violinst wrote:
Trifles wrote:People from prestigious undergrads make me lol on the inside. Way to bust your ass to get top grades in highschool, undergrad, and maybe even pick up a masters degree. That's like what, 10 years of hard work just to end up in the same place as me because I did well on a four hour test? Way to throw your youth away for no reason, chumps.


It's always about the process. Learning is fulfilling, even when you are young.



Learning IS fulfilling, it also doesn't require a degree or busy work to accomplish, unless you want a pat on the back for how smart you are and to be spoonfed what a professor wants you to learn.


lol, an anti-conformist going to law school?

User avatar
ConMan345
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: % of prestigious undergrads in LS

Postby ConMan345 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:09 am

violinst wrote:
Trifles wrote:People from prestigious undergrads make me lol on the inside. Way to bust your ass to get top grades in highschool, undergrad, and maybe even pick up a masters degree. That's like what, 10 years of hard work just to end up in the same place as me because I did well on a four hour test? Way to throw your youth away for no reason, chumps.


It's always about the process. Learning is fulfilling, even when you are young.

+4.0

User avatar
$1.99
Posts: 684
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:49 am

Re: % of prestigious undergrads in LS

Postby $1.99 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:12 am

well for the guy who laughed at those who went to prestigious schools, i find that it was more about making good connections. your connections are definitely stronger at harvard than those you would find at a public school

User avatar
violinst
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:23 pm

Re: % of prestigious undergrads in LS

Postby violinst » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:17 am

$1.99 wrote:well for the guy who laughed at those who went to prestigious schools, i find that it was more about making good connections. your connections are definitely stronger at harvard than those you would find at a public school


That's definitely a benefit. Though I don't want to get hired by one of my classmates!

(I know that connections can be useful/meaningful in many other ways. I just have to make that exclamation.)

User avatar
Dr. Strangelove
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: % of prestigious undergrads in LS

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:18 am

So many people get into top undergrads for reasons other than meritocratic ones. At law schools, it's a different ballgame.

It doesn't surprise me one bit that my undergrad's LSAT median of those who apply to law school is lower than the law school's median.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6383
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: % of prestigious undergrads in LS

Postby 5ky » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:20 am

$1.99 wrote:yes upenn is a top 5 undergrad, but wharton is what makes it prestigious, if you tell me you went to upenn to study english i will slap you just like i would slap someone who went to harvard to major in arabic studies, so here is my final list.

"Winners Circle"
1. Harvard
2. Yale
3. Princeton
4. MIT

"Winners' Sidekicks"
1. Stanford

"Good Enough Circle"
1. Columbia
2. Wharton
3. Economics Majors at U Chicago
4. Caltech

"Garbage Wannabes"
1. NYU
2. USC
3. All private liberal arts colleges
4. Cornell
5. Brown
6. Dartmouth
7. Rest of UPenn


I think UChicago pure math majors > econ majors fairly easily.

0Lhopeful
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:33 pm

Re: % of prestigious undergrads in LS

Postby 0Lhopeful » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:23 am

how about "tier 2" schools? any guesses as to the % of students from prestigious ug in schools like cardozo, brooklyn, maryland, villanova, etc?

User avatar
violinst
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:23 pm

Re: % of prestigious undergrads in LS

Postby violinst » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:24 am

5ky wrote:
$1.99 wrote:yes upenn is a top 5 undergrad, but wharton is what makes it prestigious, if you tell me you went to upenn to study english i will slap you just like i would slap someone who went to harvard to major in arabic studies, so here is my final list.

"Winners Circle"
1. Harvard
2. Yale
3. Princeton
4. MIT

"Winners' Sidekicks"
1. Stanford

"Good Enough Circle"
1. Columbia
2. Wharton
3. Economics Majors at U Chicago
4. Caltech

"Garbage Wannabes"
1. NYU
2. USC
3. All private liberal arts colleges
4. Cornell
5. Brown
6. Dartmouth
7. Rest of UPenn


I think UChicago pure math majors > econ majors fairly easily.


Math majors always have my automatic respect. It's a pity that they can't even do the patent bar.

User avatar
Trifles
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Re: % of prestigious undergrads in LS

Postby Trifles » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:24 am

$1.99 wrote:well for the guy who laughed at those who went to prestigious schools, i find that it was more about making good connections. your connections are definitely stronger at harvard than those you would find at a public school


You'll make better business connections with some coke and strippers in one night then you'll make during 4 years worth of stimulating educational discussions at Harvard. Grow up.

User avatar
BriaTharen
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: % of prestigious undergrads in LS

Postby BriaTharen » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:25 am

violinst wrote:
5ky wrote:
$1.99 wrote:yes upenn is a top 5 undergrad, but wharton is what makes it prestigious, if you tell me you went to upenn to study english i will slap you just like i would slap someone who went to harvard to major in arabic studies, so here is my final list.

"Winners Circle"
1. Harvard
2. Yale
3. Princeton
4. MIT

"Winners' Sidekicks"
1. Stanford

"Good Enough Circle"
1. Columbia
2. Wharton
3. Economics Majors at U Chicago
4. Caltech

"Garbage Wannabes"
1. NYU
2. USC
3. All private liberal arts colleges
4. Cornell
5. Brown
6. Dartmouth
7. Rest of UPenn


I think UChicago pure math majors > econ majors fairly easily.


Math majors always have my automatic respect. It's a pity that they can't even do the patent bar.



Love the tar, violinist!

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: % of prestigious undergrads in LS

Postby Unemployed » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:26 am

Trifles wrote:
$1.99 wrote:well for the guy who laughed at those who went to prestigious schools, i find that it was more about making good connections. your connections are definitely stronger at harvard than those you would find at a public school


You'll make better business connections with some coke and strippers in one night then you'll make during 4 years worth of stimulating educational discussions at Harvard. Grow up.


In my experience, totally untrue.

Edit: In hindsight, negotiation with the strippers may have gone better over Pepsi or Dr. Pepper.
Last edited by Unemployed on Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
violinst
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:23 pm

Re: % of prestigious undergrads in LS

Postby violinst » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:29 am

JessicaTiger wrote:
violinst wrote:
Math majors always have my automatic respect. It's a pity that they can't even do the patent bar.



Love the tar, violinist!


Finally!

(First time in my entire forum history. Thank you!)

I really enjoyed your open letter to that dude at the LSU ASD. It made my week.

User avatar
clyde_barrow
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: % of prestigious undergrads in LS

Postby clyde_barrow » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:46 am

tomhobbes wrote:There are about 210 people on the YLS class of 2013 facebook group, and I'd estimate that 90% of them are from an Ivy, elite public (like Berkeley), or elite LAC. There are a huge number of people from Yale and Harvard. Yale and Harvard alone might make up 30% of the facebook group.

i noticed H and Y UG seemed to dominate the HLS ASW as well. that didn't strike me so much as their prevalence compared to princeton's. i just didn't see nearly as many Ps there; i don't see as many in the YLS admit fbook group; and i'm not sure i saw many at SLS's ASW this past weekend, either. am i imagining it? or could this have anything to do w/ it: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/31/educa ... ceton.html
Last edited by clyde_barrow on Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: % of prestigious undergrads in LS

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:01 am

This thread gets a big fat :roll:

barca
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: % of prestigious undergrads in LS

Postby barca » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:41 am

dutchstriker wrote:They had a guest list at the HLS ASW. I actually counted up all the schools because I had a 30 hour bus ride back home.

Of the 243 students at the ASW, 150 were from either a top 10 LAC or top 25 national university (according to USNWR). 65 of those were HYPS. Most of the remainders were recognizable schools probably in the top 50. Someone did go to Sonoma State, though.



I noticed too how many of the students on the list went to Ivies and top schools, but I think the actual representation in September will include more students from public schools in the midwest, west, etc. and from abroad - it's a lot easier to travel to Harvard from an Ivy, and im guessing this gives the admitted student a higher chance of being at the ASW.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: % of prestigious undergrads in LS

Postby crackberry » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:52 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: at you, $1.99.

You must be from the Northeast.

nuss3
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: % of prestigious undergrads in LS

Postby nuss3 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:40 am

$1.99 wrote:because all you guys do is read the same books and think you are smart because you found the "hidden meaning" behind them when all you did was go to sparknotes.com and look at the close reading sections. then, you get A's for writing subjective essays that you can't really back up. lastly, all you dopes think you are major philosophers just because you heard the name aristotle in one of your classics courses. on top of that, a liberal arts degree is more useless than sarah palin. you are an embarrassment to yourself, your family, and humanity in general. may god have mercy on your souls.


http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm? ... id=1430654

i'm sorry, i think something is wrong with my computer: a liberal arts field seems to be tied for #1 among major fields of study. surely those dopes couldn't have scored so highly.

anyhow, about those unsubstantiated claims in subjective essays...

User avatar
dutchstriker
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: % of prestigious undergrads in LS

Postby dutchstriker » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:32 am

FWIW, I had just as easy a time getting an A in two semesters of organic chemistry as I did in my philosophy courses. I probably had to study a bit more for some of my science courses, but they weren't "harder" for me. And I can definitely write a hell of a lot better than my engineer friends.

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: % of prestigious undergrads in LS

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:51 am

Trifles wrote:People from prestigious undergrads make me lol on the inside. Way to bust your ass to get top grades in highschool, undergrad, and maybe even pick up a masters degree. That's like what, 10 years of hard work just to end up in the same place as me because I did well on a four hour test? Way to throw your youth away for no reason, chumps.


you, my good sir, are an asshat

just wait 'til you're in class with all the people who took their education seriously (whether at an elite school or at a less prestigious one)

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: % of prestigious undergrads in LS

Postby rayiner » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:50 am

nuss3 wrote:
$1.99 wrote:because all you guys do is read the same books and think you are smart because you found the "hidden meaning" behind them when all you did was go to sparknotes.com and look at the close reading sections. then, you get A's for writing subjective essays that you can't really back up. lastly, all you dopes think you are major philosophers just because you heard the name aristotle in one of your classics courses. on top of that, a liberal arts degree is more useless than sarah palin. you are an embarrassment to yourself, your family, and humanity in general. may god have mercy on your souls.


http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm? ... id=1430654

i'm sorry, i think something is wrong with my computer: a liberal arts field seems to be tied for #1 among major fields of study. surely those dopes couldn't have scored so highly.

anyhow, about those unsubstantiated claims in subjective essays...


I mean technically math is a liberal arts field too, but social scientists shouldn't get credit for how hard a math major is. And economics is applied math and can involve some pretty tricky math at that.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: % of prestigious undergrads in LS

Postby rayiner » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:51 am

somewhatwayward wrote:
Trifles wrote:People from prestigious undergrads make me lol on the inside. Way to bust your ass to get top grades in highschool, undergrad, and maybe even pick up a masters degree. That's like what, 10 years of hard work just to end up in the same place as me because I did well on a four hour test? Way to throw your youth away for no reason, chumps.


you, my good sir, are an asshat

just wait 'til you're in class with all the people who took their education seriously (whether at an elite school or at a less prestigious one)


LOL no.

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: % of prestigious undergrads in LS

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:02 pm

what do you mean?

User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: % of prestigious undergrads in LS

Postby scribelaw » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:14 pm

I'm just glad NYU didn't care about my POS undergrad.

I have a hunch it hurt me at Columbia and Chicago, though. I think they want the pedigree in addition to the numbers, unless you have auto-admit numbers of course. For them, I think an Ivy or top-rated UG trumps a no-name UG and work experience.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: % of prestigious undergrads in LS

Postby MrKappus » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:22 pm

This thread is retarded. You had a crappy SAT and fucked off in high school. Deal w/ it.

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: % of prestigious undergrads in LS

Postby GeePee » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:43 pm

MrKappus wrote:This thread is retarded. You had a crappy SAT and fucked off in high school. Deal w/ it.

Your SAT scores and high school grades have very little impact on where you go to college. I'm speaking from personal experience.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexa [Bot], Bing [Bot], BuddyHoller, lawlzi, Mr. Archer and 5 guests