% of prestigious undergrads in LS Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
crackberry

Gold

Re: % of prestigious undergrads in LS

Post by crackberry » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:50 pm

fortissimo wrote:
crackberry wrote: In my head it's Berkeley, UVA, UCLA, Michigan in that order, but I'm not sure why I think that.
USNews? That's exactly what the rankings are now.

When I applied for undergrad it was Berkeley, Michigan, UVA, UCLA.
Maybe subconsciously but I swear I didn't look.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:51 pm

kdw94780 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
whitman wrote:You don't think UNC's undergrad is an elite undergrad, but Michigan and UCLA are? Interesting. I'd always thought UNC and UVA undergrads were equivalent, with Michigan behind.
Which school are more prestigious is more regional. In the midwest people think Michigan is elite, and think UNC isn't worth shit.
All Midwestern people think Michigan is elite? Haha, people who live west of the Mississippi wouldn't know the difference between Michigan and Michigan State. I think the only big public school to have national elite status is Berkeley. Berkeley is the only one that I think would be really competitive to get into. As for UCLA, it gets overshadowed by Berkeley. I understand though that it's really prestigious in Cali though. As for UVA, if you mentioned to someone from a state like mine (Missouri), they'd have to ask you what you mean. That's true because I had to ask someone where UVA was. :-) just my two cents It's just Berkeley, select privates, and whatever the big state school is in your state area that carry loads of prestige.
Isn't most of the Midwest west of the Mississippi? Aren't we talking mainly about actual prestige, not necessarily lay prestige? FWIW, In the Midwest, Michigan has prestige/lay prestige. In California, UCLA has lay prestige/prestige.

This is what people think in each region. http://www.gallup.com/poll/3634/harvard ... rsity.aspx
Last edited by fortissimo on Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kdw94780

Bronze

Post by kdw94780 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:52 pm

Sorry for the Michigan hating. I just have had less respect for their undergrad school ever since I met a 2009 Mich ugrad alum (w/ honors) who's been working as a waitress for the past year while having to pay off $60,000 in student loans...ouch.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:53 pm

kdw94780 wrote:Sorry for the Michigan hating. I just have had less respect for their undergrad school ever since I met a 2009 Mich ugrad alum (w/ honors) who's been working as a waitress for the past year while having to pay off $60,000 in student loans...ouch.
It's called being a liberal arts major. Science majors don't respect LA majors from any school.

Also, are you from Kansas? If so, then that's just weird.
Last edited by fortissimo on Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:55 pm

kdw94780 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
whitman wrote:You don't think UNC's undergrad is an elite undergrad, but Michigan and UCLA are? Interesting. I'd always thought UNC and UVA undergrads were equivalent, with Michigan behind.
Which school are more prestigious is more regional. In the midwest people think Michigan is elite, and think UNC isn't worth shit.
All Midwestern people think Michigan is elite? Haha, people who live west of the Mississippi wouldn't know the difference between Michigan and Michigan State. I think the only big public school to have national elite status is Berkeley. Berkeley is the only one that I think would be really competitive to get into. As for UCLA, it gets overshadowed by Berkeley. I understand though that it's really prestigious in Cali though. As for UVA, if you mentioned to someone from a state like mine (Missouri), they'd have to ask you what you mean. That's true because I had to ask someone where UVA was. :-) just my two cents It's just Berkeley, select privates, and whatever the big state school is in your state area that carry loads of prestige.
The only midwest states west of the Mississippi are, Iowa, Minn, and Missouri. I'm not sure about Missouri, but I think Mich is considered a great school in Iowa and Minn.

Midwestern's love their own states schools. Illinoisans love UIUC, Wisconsinites love UW, etc etc. So they will all claim that their school is better than Michigan, but Michigan is regarded as a good school, and as competition.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:55 pm

Liberal arts is better prep for Law School than science in all ways except that science possibly cultivates better study habits.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:56 pm

crackberry wrote:
fortissimo wrote:
crackberry wrote: In my head it's Berkeley, UVA, UCLA, Michigan in that order, but I'm not sure why I think that.
USNews? That's exactly what the rankings are now.

When I applied for undergrad it was Berkeley, Michigan, UVA, UCLA.
Maybe subconsciously but I swear I didn't look.
haha...

kdw94780

Bronze

Post by kdw94780 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:56 pm

fortissimo wrote:
kdw94780 wrote:Sorry for the Michigan hating. I just have had less respect for their undergrad school ever since I met a 2009 Mich ugrad alum (w/ honors) who's been working as a waitress for the past year while having to pay off $60,000 in student loans...ouch.
It's called being a liberal arts major. Science majors don't respect LA majors from any school.

Is it weird because you're from Kansas?
Or is it weird that you don't know Kansas City is in Missouri?

violinst

Bronze

Post by violinst » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:56 pm

whitman wrote:Maybe it's just because I'm from the south, but I didn't even consider Michigan because if I was going public, I wanted either UVA or UNC. Michigan seemed a step below (I know US News says otherwise.) So to the person that said it's regional perception, I suppose you're right.
Michigan is a powerhouse, domestically and internationally (I have been to Asia where Michigan and Berkeley are two of the most respected universities.) It has a top b-school, a top law school, a top med school, and several top science programs. It's not a regional school at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:57 pm

fortissimo wrote:

I'm not impressed by Ivy league liberal arts, or social studies.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:58 pm

Cupidity wrote:Liberal arts is better prep for Law School than science in all ways except that science possibly cultivates better study habits.
I think certain sciences (or math rather) teach you to think in ways that help for LS.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:59 pm

kdw94780 wrote:
fortissimo wrote:

Is it weird because you're from Kansas?
Or is it weird that you don't know Kansas City is in Missouri?
Both, actually.

kdw94780

Bronze

Post by kdw94780 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:00 pm

violinst wrote:
whitman wrote:Maybe it's just because I'm from the south, but I didn't even consider Michigan because if I was going public, I wanted either UVA or UNC. Michigan seemed a step below (I know US News says otherwise.) So to the person that said it's regional perception, I suppose you're right.
Michigan is a powerhouse, domestically and internationally (I have been to Asia where Michigan and Berkeley are two of the most respected universities.) It has a top b-school, a top law school, a top med school, and several top science programs. It's not a regional school at all.
No one will argue that Michigan has prestigious graduate (i.e. Michigan Law) programs...didn't Unabomber get is PhD from there after all? This thread is concerning undergraduate programs...Michigan is clearly respected at the undergraduate level, but I would not call them "prestigious."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

violinst

Bronze

Post by violinst » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:01 pm

Cupidity wrote:Liberal arts is better prep for Law School than science in all ways except that science possibly cultivates better study habits.
NO.

(I have a BA and a BS.)

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:02 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
fortissimo wrote:

I'm not impressed by Ivy league liberal arts, or social studies.
Employers would agree with you.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:06 pm

kdw94780 wrote:
violinst wrote:
No one will argue that Michigan has prestigious graduate (i.e. Michigan Law) programs...didn't Unabomber get is PhD from there after all? This thread is concerning undergraduate programs...Michigan is clearly respected at the undergraduate level, but I would not call them "prestigious."
Gallup wrote:Perceptions of Top Schools Vary Widely by Region
Where Americans live appears to have a significant bearing on the colleges they consider to be the best in the country. Harvard wins in all four major regions, but the incidence of other schools varies widely:

* In the East, Penn State comes in second behind Harvard, with 9% of Easterners' votes (Harvard gets 17% in the East). Penn State, by way of contrast, is tied for 40th place on theU.S. Newslist.
* In the Midwest, Notre Dame, with 5%, and Michigan, with 3%, join Harvard (16%) and MIT (3%). (Notre Dame is 19th on theU.S. Newslist, and Michigan is tied for 25th).
* In the West, Harvard squeaks past Stanford by a 12% to 11% margin, with UCLA and U Cal Berkeley also appearing on the list. Stanford is sixth on theU.S. Newslist, Berkeley is tied for 20th and UCLA is tied for 25th.
* In the South, the top two schools behind Harvard (with 17% of Southerners' votes) are Texas A&M (which is not on theU.S. Newstop 50 list at all) and Duke, which comes in tied for seventh on theU.S. Newslist.

violinst

Bronze

Post by violinst » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:08 pm

kdw94780 wrote:
violinst wrote:
Its undergrad is part of the powerhouse and benefits greatly from overall faculty quality, research capabilities, and reputation. Remember that its b-school and science programs have undergrad divisions (Wall Street recruits heavily from its undergrad b-school, for example). I had classmates who gave up ivies to attend Ross.

I forgot, Michigan also has a top music school (both undergrad and grad).
Last edited by violinst on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:09 pm

If you don't go to harvard, yale, princeton, MIT, or stanford, you are a TTT undergraduate

violinst

Bronze

Post by violinst » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:15 pm

$1.99 wrote:If you don't go to harvard, yale, princeton, MIT, or stanford, you are a TTT undergraduate
Where the f*ck is Caltech? This means war.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:16 pm

violinst wrote:
$1.99 wrote:If you don't go to harvard, yale, princeton, MIT, or stanford, you are a TTT undergraduate
Where the f*ck is Caltech? This means war.
Any liberal arts degree is TTT.

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:19 pm

i was about to include caltech, columbia, kids who go to wharton, kids who study economics at chicago, and a couple other groups but i was too lazy to type them in.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:20 pm

$1.99 wrote:i was about to include caltech, columbia, kids who go to wharton, kids who study economics at chicago, and a couple other groups but i was too lazy to type them in.
Kids who go to Wharton? Why only Wharton? Isn't UPenn a top 5 undergrad?

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:24 pm

fortissimo wrote:
$1.99 wrote:i was about to include caltech, columbia, kids who go to wharton, kids who study economics at chicago, and a couple other groups but i was too lazy to type them in.
UPenn = NYULaw of undergrads :lol:

violinst

Bronze

Post by violinst » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:25 pm

fortissimo wrote:
One has to draw a line somewhere.

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:29 pm

yes upenn is a top 5 undergrad, but wharton is what makes it prestigious, if you tell me you went to upenn to study english i will slap you just like i would slap someone who went to harvard to major in arabic studies, so here is my final list.

"Winners Circle"
1. Harvard
2. Yale
3. Princeton
4. MIT

"Winners' Sidekicks"
1. Stanford

"Good Enough Circle"
1. Columbia
2. Wharton
3. Economics Majors at U Chicago
4. Caltech