LOR Inquiry

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sangr

LOR Inquiry

Postby sangr » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:21 pm

So my professor has responded to my e-mail of writing an LOR and he's willing
however hes asking what kind of aspects i would like him to emphasize? im sure
he means what strong attributes of myself that i would like highlighted in the letter
but how exactly am i supposed to go about this for a law school reccomendation?

should letters emphasize my potential abilities as a lawyer? or my writing abilities?
im just not sure what to ask of him exactly.

replies would be great, thanks!

im_blue

Re: LOR Inquiry

Postby im_blue » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:53 pm

Your law school applications should mention what kind of qualities they're looking for in a LOR.

thomas85

Postby thomas85 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:54 pm

im_blue wrote:Your law school applications should mention what kind of qualities they're looking for in a LOR.

Wait, Im confused it shouldn't mention the kind of qualities they're looking for in a LOR? Or it should?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:06 pm

It should. For example, Penn's application says:
"Letters of recommendation from individuals who can comment on your intellectual capacity and analytical and written communication skills are extremely useful in a rigorous selection process. Therefore, we require two letters of recommendation from individuals who have served as recent academic instructors or advisors. However, if you have been out of school for several years and obtaining academic references will present a hardship, letters from employers or others who have worked closely with you are sufficient."

You should be able to find similar suggestions on many law schools' applications.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”