Email about UVA fin aid

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
moose

Email about UVA fin aid

Postby moose » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:39 am

I wrote a letter to Dean Trujillo outlining my serious financial situation and requested some assistance,..I did this on the advice of the Fin Aid Director. Well,...I got a response this morning. Basically Dean Trujillo said UVA has received more seat deposits than expected and any adjustments would have to be made in May. He also said he'll keep my appeal and if they were under budget he will be back in touch with me.

My first reading told me this is basically a no. I don't know too many entities that find themselves "under budget" these days. But I wanted to hear the thoughts of anyone with knowledge of how need based aid is doled out at UVA and peer schools.

holydonkey

Re: Email about UVA fin aid

Postby holydonkey » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:44 am

moose wrote:I wrote a letter to Dean Trujillo outlining my serious financial situation and requested some assistance,..I did this on the advice of the Fin Aid Director. Well,...I got a response this morning. Basically Dean Trujillo said UVA has received more seat deposits than expected and any adjustments would have to be made in May. He also said he'll keep my appeal and if they were under budget he will be back in touch with me.

My first reading told me this is basically a no. I don't know too many entities that find themselves "under budget" these days. But I wanted to hear the thoughts of anyone with knowledge of how need based aid is doled out at UVA and peer schools.
You're probably out of luck. Need-based aid is rarely reconsidered, while matching offers from peer schools seems fairly common. That's not to say it isn't worth trying or that it never happens, but you shouldn't base your deposit decision on the off chance you receive more aid at UVA. You should make your decision based on current admissions/financial aid offers.

astro1819

Postby astro1819 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:55 pm

moose wrote:I wrote a letter to Dean Trujillo outlining my serious financial situation and requested some assistance,..I did this on the advice of the Fin Aid Director. Well,...I got a response this morning. Basically Dean Trujillo said UVA has received more seat deposits than expected and any adjustments would have to be made in May. He also said he'll keep my appeal and if they were under budget he will be back in touch with me.

Did he explicitly rule out the possibility of adjusting the award before the deposit deadline? I've requested a reconsideration as well and was basically told the same thing. This makes it tough for the deposit decision. I plan to make my decision with the information I have now.

hubtubrub

Postby hubtubrub » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:19 pm

good luck man. It looks like you EDed... so you have to deal with it.

moose

Postby moose » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:23 pm

astro1819 wrote:

Did he explicitly rule out the possibility of adjusting the award before the deposit deadline? I've requested a reconsideration as well and was basically told the same thing. This makes it tough for the deposit decision. I plan to make my decision with the information I have now.

Yes, he basically did. All adjustments would be made after the first deposit deadline. I wonder how many of these appeals they get.

astro1819

Postby astro1819 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:31 pm

moose wrote:
astro1819 wrote:

Yes, he basically did. All adjustments would be made after the first deposit deadline. I wonder how many of these appeals they get.

Not sure how many they receive, but good luck. And hopefully I'll join you at UVA next fall!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”