Will a Masters compensate for low LSAT? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Matthies

Silver

Re: Will a Masters compensate for low LSAT?

Post by Matthies » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:30 pm

There is at least one master's degree that I know can help, or more likely kill your chances of getting into law school for good. A few law schools offer a Master of Law Studies degree (MLS), at many law schools its identical to their LLM programs, but they admit select candidates without a JD or a foreign equivalent. Its usually targeted towards people in government or a specific industry who need legal expertise but not the full on JD.

The catch is you take 2nd and 3rd year law classes with law students under the same conditions and curve as they do, but without having had the first year to teach you how to prepare or take law school exams. Its sink or swim and the odds are way against you when everyone is gunning for top grades and your fresh meat to pad the curve. You do well, and some law schools will overlook even a very low LSAT. You don't, and most don't, and you will likely never get into law school even with a re-take. It's a hail marry, and I don't recommend it unless you have no other options. Other than that exception, what the rest of the posters say is true from my experience.

generic123

New

Re: Will a Masters compensate for low LSAT?

Post by generic123 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:58 pm

I am now a 1L
I have a Masters from Columbia, a 3.9 GPA but only a 167 LSAT
It was good enough to get me wait listed at CLS, NYU, PENN, Michigan, and VA.
Unfortunately was rejected by all 5 (although they waited till the end of the summer to do it)

I guess what i am trying to say is that an MA is good enough to make the wait list... Sorry.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”