Has anyone ever regretted taking the $$$

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Pastels

Has anyone ever regretted taking the $$$

Postby Pastels » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:24 pm

Has anyone ever regretted taking the scholly to the TT, TTT, or T4 school and wished they had just invested the $$ and gone for the better degree/education?

Cupidity

Re: Has anyone ever regretted taking the $$$

Postby Cupidity » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:29 pm

I have friends at Ave and Florida Coastal who tell me every day.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:33 pm

Could be that the people at the bottom of GTown making 35k per year with 200k in debt are even unhappier. There'll be people on either side of this; depends on how high the ladder you climb or how low you descend.

rando

Postby rando » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:43 pm

Not a T2 but have never regretted my decision to take the $$$.

Pastels

Postby Pastels » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:44 pm

more details?

Trifles

Postby Trifles » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:17 am

Of course there is someone out there who has. Are you serious?

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:32 am

what ever happened to UVA4L? she turned down Harvard for money at UVA and seemed to not regret it.

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:07 am

stratocophic wrote:Could be that the people at the bottom of GTown making 35k per year with 200k in debt are even unhappier. There'll be people on either side of this; depends on how high the ladder you climb or how low you descend.

If they are in public interest these people are paying $0 a month on their loans... plus they still have that degree (that statement obviously depends on when they graduated).

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:20 am

I had a friend who went to a T4 for free and hated it. However, I don't think she had better options at that time, and she really just hated studying law so she would be miserable wherever she went. Of course she hates it more now because she couldn't find a job. She had to apply to a college admin job that paid about 25k a year. And she didn't get it.

On the other hand, I interviewed with a guy who turned down Harvard for a full ride at Vandy. He didn't regret his choice a bit. He has a nice paying, intense yet not too demanding job. He seems to enjoy his life very much now, and he attributes part of it to being debt free.

rando

Postby rando » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:29 am

Pastels wrote:more details?

Barring academia and V5 firms my options have been the same as if i had paid sticker at the higher ranked schools i got into. Those things dont paricularly interest me so i basically saved 150k. No regrets.

helfer snooterbagon

Postby helfer snooterbagon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:33 am

Pastels wrote:Has anyone ever regretted taking the scholly to the TT, TTT, or T4 school and wished they had just invested the $$ and gone for the better degree/education?

I would not say that I "regret" my decision. I do sometimes wonder "what if"?

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:37 am

Tier 3 with scholarship and do not regret it.

As others have said, you'll find people on both sides. You'll also find plenty of people who did not accept a scholarship and who regret it (there was a thread about this a few months back).

Some people also cannot let go of the "what if." Just because they accepted a scholarship at a lower ranked school and don't have a job doesn't mean that they would have been any better off at a higher ranked school with a ton of debt--plenty of people at those schools without a job or without their desired job.

EDIT: lol. you beat me with the "what if" post.

dut99002

Postby dut99002 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:18 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:what ever happened to UVA4L? she turned down Harvard for money at UVA and seemed to not regret it.

I have a friend who turned down Harvard for a large scholarship to Viriginia. He (and his family) don't regret it one bit as far as I can tell. I think he figured that his professional goals would be met just as well via UVA as they would have been through Harvard, so why spend all of the money?

Smart choice if you ask me.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:26 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:
stratocophic wrote:Could be that the people at the bottom of GTown making 35k per year with 200k in debt are even unhappier. There'll be people on either side of this; depends on how high the ladder you climb or how low you descend.

If they are in public interest these people are paying $0 a month on their loans... plus they still have that degree (that statement obviously depends on when they graduated).
Sure, if they're in PI. Shitlaw's a whole 'nother story. Point was that there are going to be malcontents from the bottom all the way up to some point near the top. Completely depends on personal situation and it isn't something that can be predicted before you get your grades back.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”