Still not complete at Chicago; the deposit deadline is 5/1!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
carbohydrate

Still not complete at Chicago; the deposit deadline is 5/1!

Postby carbohydrate » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:23 pm

I submitted my app to Chicago on 2/1. I applied to NYU on the same day and was admitted about three weeks later. I also applied to Harvard on that date and went under review in early March. I emailed Chicago to ask whether the status listed online is correct, and they emailed me back confirming that it is.

Considering that their commitment deadline is May 1, 12 days from now, I think it's safe to say that I have 0 chance of getting a decision before then. If I don't, then they will have not even given me a chance, even though I submitted all the required application materials and paid the fee. I plan on asking for a refund of the application fee. Does anyone have any experience with this or advice to give?

yeff

Re: Still not complete at Chicago; the deposit deadline is 5/1!

Postby yeff » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:29 pm

carbohydrate wrote:I submitted my app to Chicago on 2/1. I applied to NYU on the same day and was admitted about three weeks later. I also applied to Harvard on that date and went under review in early March. I emailed Chicago to ask whether the status listed online is correct, and they emailed me back confirming that it is.

Considering that their commitment deadline is May 1, 12 days from now, I think it's safe to say that I have 0 chance of getting a decision before then. If I don't, then they will have not even given me a chance, even though I submitted all the required application materials and paid the fee. I plan on asking for a refund of the application fee. Does anyone have any experience with this or advice to give?

Seems like they will allow you to pay your deposit after the deadline if they admit you after the deadline. But you may need to deposit somewhere else in the meantime unless you are keen on reapplying next year.

carbohydrate

Postby carbohydrate » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:26 pm

Do you think they'll refund my application fee if I ask them to? It turns out that I wouldn't go, but still, I paid the fee to receive a decision before May, and it looks certain that that won't happen. It's very unfair to issue a decision after the deposit deadline.

How could it even take 3 months to assemble my application?

Core

Postby Core » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:31 pm

carbohydrate wrote:Do you think they'll refund my application fee if I ask them to? It turns out that I wouldn't go, but still, I paid the fee to receive a decision before May, and it looks certain that that won't happen. It's very unfair to issue a decision after the deposit deadline.

How could it even take 3 months to assemble my application?

No.

carbohydrate

Postby carbohydrate » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:28 pm

How can they just pocket my money and not give me a decision in time?

Flanker1067

Postby Flanker1067 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:31 pm

carbohydrate wrote:How can they just pocket my money and not give me a decision in time?

Simple, they never committed to give you a decision before May. They usually use language like "endeavor" when talking about timeliness of decisions. Also, if they admit you directly before or after the deadline, they will give you two or three weeks to make that decision.

EDIT: I am still waiting on three schools, one of which I believe has a 04/15 deposit deadline.
Last edited by Flanker1067 on Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:33 pm

carbohydrate wrote:How can they just pocket my money and not give me a decision in time?

Because you applied. As stated above, they would extend the seat deposit deadline for you if they do not reach a decision for you before 5/1.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:41 pm

Right, I think it's pretty clear that they're not going to prohibit you from depositing if they render a positive decision after May 1. And you didn't apply for the right to receive a decision by a certain date, but for the privilege of attending their school.

Gamecubesupreme

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:17 pm

Should have applied earlier dude.

February is way too late for a school like Chicago.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:22 pm

carbohydrate wrote:I submitted my app to Chicago on 2/1. I applied to NYU on the same day and was admitted about three weeks later. I also applied to Harvard on that date and went under review in early March. I emailed Chicago to ask whether the status listed online is correct, and they emailed me back confirming that it is.

Chicago WL'd me last year...didn't give me my answer until late June. I had applied in the first week of December!

I spoke with someone at the school , and they told me that the adcom had balked on whether to admit or WL. They held my app over until after evaluating other apps and decided to WL me. I stayed on the WL until orientation week and received a nice (hand-signed) letter encouraging me to apply again as a 1L or transfer student. I have reapplied this year, in December, and, again sit waiting. I know I should have applied earlier, but I couldn't. Besides, I feel that a school should admit anyone they keep until orientation week in a previous year. It should be a virtual lock.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:51 pm

You're being compared to a new body of students, and unless you just finished school and/or retook the LSAT, are probably pitting your old waitlisted numbers against those that are ever so slightly better this year overall. It sucks to be WL'd again, but it's not all that surprising.

carbohydrate

Postby carbohydrate » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:59 am

PDaddy wrote:

Chicago WL'd me last year...didn't give me my answer until late June. I had applied in the first week of December!

I spoke with someone at the school , and they told me that the adcom had balked on whether to admit or WL. They held my app over until after evaluating other apps and decided to WL me. I stayed on the WL until orientation week and received a nice (hand-signed) letter encouraging me to apply again as a 1L or transfer student. I have reapplied this year, in December, and, again sit waiting. I know I should have applied earlier, but I couldn't. Besides, I feel that a school should admit anyone they keep until orientation week in a previous year. It should be a virtual lock.

That's absurd!

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:07 am

PDaddy wrote:

Pdaddy, unlike carb, has something to complain about. That's unfair

carbohydrate

Postby carbohydrate » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:11 am

miamiman wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

Pdaddy, unlike carb, has something to complain about. That's unfair

It turns out that I will go to NYU over Chicago and am already into NYU. But what if I had wanted to go to Chicago over NYU? I'd be forced to waste hundreds of dollars reserving a spot in NYU while they take their sweet time (12 weeks?) just assembling my application materials. How long does it take to put some papers into a packet and hand them to the admissions committee? A few minutes?

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:01 am

carbohydrate wrote:
It turns out that I will go to NYU over Chicago and am already into NYU. But what if I had wanted to go to Chicago over NYU? I'd be forced to waste hundreds of dollars reserving a spot in NYU while they take their sweet time (12 weeks?) just assembling my application materials. How long does it take to put some papers into a packet and hand them to the admissions committee? A few minutes?

god, you're annoying. you applied 2/1. as far as im concerned, you waive your right to anything even remotely approaching speedy or efficient when you apply in February.

nuss3

Postby nuss3 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:47 am

you're looking for sympathy in the wrong place. there are dozens of people on these boards who applied EA/ED back in september and are STILL waiting to hear back. you've waited less than 3 months since applying; no, it's not right, but it's middling (at worst) compared to the time delays others have dealt with. hell, i went complete at NYU one week after you applied there and haven't heard a word since.

edited for messin up the quote

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:53 am

1. Stay strong and hold on.

2. If they accept you, ask for as much time as they are willing to give (usually 1 week) to make a decision.

3. Don't get back to them

4. Revenge?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”