Scholarship increase AFTER seat deposit Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
OneSixtySix

Bronze

Scholarship increase AFTER seat deposit

Post by OneSixtySix » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:20 pm

I tried leveraging scholarship offers at peer/better schools with ND and they wouldnt budge. For whatever reason, I still want to go to ND despite the fact scholarship $ isnt looking hopeful.

Is there any anecdotal or empirical evidence to suggest that a school will increase a scholarship after the seat deposit deadline?

ND offered 8k a year, WUSTL 20k, BU 25k, and Illinois 15k. I am currently deposited at BU (and WUSTL but will be pulling out prior to May 1 deadline) and have no intention of depositing at Illinois.

At this point, do I need to just accept ND isnt coming through and be happy with BU? I currently live in Boston but dont have a particular preference to practice here or in chicago and in fact was hoping to get outside of Massachusetts for a few years.

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Re: Scholarship increase AFTER seat deposit

Post by PlugInBaby » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:39 pm

I didn't put a deposit in for Chicago-Kent...they upped their offer from 20k a year to full tuition the first year and 25k the last two years. For more details see the "Kent won't take no for an answer" thread on Choosing A Law School.

OneSixtySix

Bronze

Post by OneSixtySix » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:12 am

PlugInBaby wrote:I didn't put a deposit in for Chicago-Kent...they upped their offer from 20k a year to full tuition the first year and 25k the last two years. For more details see the "Kent won't take no for an answer" thread on Choosing A Law School.
I would love for that to happen, however given i requested an increase and was denied...I wouldnt expect that to be a possibility.

I've considered calling/emailing and requesting a deadline extension or depositing and just consider the deposit part of the 100k+ I'll be spending anyways :D

Congrats though - thats a pretty decent increase.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:33 am

Hope things work out for you.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:35 am

I would think its common knowledge that a lot of applicants nowadays are putting down multiple seat deposits, so schools have to know that people are still going to try and negotiate and use their leverage. Along with the people that drop out after the first seat deposit freeing up scholarship money, the school must be somewhat free to redistribute that money if they really feel they want a candidate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”