Letter of Recomendation Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bballfreak56

Letter of Recomendation Question

Postby bballfreak56 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:08 pm

I wrote a letter to my governor and recieved a letter of recomendation from him. It was fairly generic, saying that I was greatly involved in my community, was a dedicated studed and would be a great asset to the school etc. It stated that even though he didnt know me personally he was sure I would be a very successful student and attourney. Should I use this letter even though I dont know the governor personally? Perhaps at more local schools where he may have more pull?

booboo

Re: Letter of Recomendation Question

Postby booboo » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:11 pm

Most institutions that place value in LORs don't look favorably upon submissions from those that don't know the applicant personally. It is often said that using a high level person for a LOR without any personal and significant connection is actually more harmful than helpful.

nick637

Postby nick637 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:11 pm

this should be an extra LOR above the required amount that a school requires. You LOR's need to be from someone who really can personally attest to your academic strength or community involvement.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:14 am

bballfreak56 wrote:I wrote a letter to my governor and recieved a letter of recomendation from him. It was fairly generic, saying that I was greatly involved in my community, was a dedicated studed and would be a great asset to the school etc. It stated that even though he didnt know me personally he was sure I would be a very successful student and attourney. Should I use this letter even though I dont know the governor personally? Perhaps at more local schools where he may have more pull?

Absolutely not. LORs only carry weight when the writer actually knows you!

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:26 am

Save it and use it as like a LOCI or additional information if you get waitlisted... your LORs that go with your app should be mainly from professors who have personally interacted with you

SoCalStudent

Postby SoCalStudent » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:34 am

I'm new to the process as well, but I don't see how this would help you in any way. LOR's should be from someone that knows you, and has witnessed work that you've done. You could get rejected outright if you use this LOR as one of your three.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”