In at Yale, WL at Harvard What do I do?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
YSS
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: In at Yale, WL at Harvard What do I do?

Postby YSS » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:31 pm

ToriM wrote:In case this isn't a flame- if you're good enough to get into Yale and a WL at Harvard, then you'll get into Harvard next cycle if you can substantially improve something about your overall application (perfect score on the LSAT, cure cancer, etc. etc.). I've also heard that some schools let you do a non-binding deferral, so perhaps you could do this with Yale and reapply next cycle? If Harvard is your dream school and you're this close to your dream, I see no reason to settle.

Just my two cents.


thanks

alot of people here are just a-holes

They don't understand that some people don't care about rankings.

User avatar
Mrs. Jack Donaghy
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:15 am

Re: In at Yale, WL at Harvard What do I do?

Postby Mrs. Jack Donaghy » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:35 pm

YSS wrote:
ToriM wrote:In case this isn't a flame- if you're good enough to get into Yale and a WL at Harvard, then you'll get into Harvard next cycle if you can substantially improve something about your overall application (perfect score on the LSAT, cure cancer, etc. etc.). I've also heard that some schools let you do a non-binding deferral, so perhaps you could do this with Yale and reapply next cycle? If Harvard is your dream school and you're this close to your dream, I see no reason to settle.

Just my two cents.


thanks

alot of people here are just a-holes

They don't understand that some people don't care about rankings.


If this isn't a flame, try your hardest to get off the HLS wait list. Outside of the ranking, HLS>YLS, imo.

User avatar
Joan Samuel Marat
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: In at Yale, WL at Harvard What do I do?

Postby Joan Samuel Marat » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:35 pm

YSS wrote:
ToriM wrote:In case this isn't a flame- if you're good enough to get into Yale and a WL at Harvard, then you'll get into Harvard next cycle if you can substantially improve something about your overall application (perfect score on the LSAT, cure cancer, etc. etc.). I've also heard that some schools let you do a non-binding deferral, so perhaps you could do this with Yale and reapply next cycle? If Harvard is your dream school and you're this close to your dream, I see no reason to settle.

Just my two cents.


thanks

alot of people here are just a-holes

They don't understand that some people don't care about rankings.


Oh, well, look at you. You do no care about the ranking, but you care about prove your friend right that you are "too smart no to be at Harvard." Oh well, aren't you so far above the pedantic fray of the ranking whore.

YSS
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: In at Yale, WL at Harvard What do I do?

Postby YSS » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:37 pm

Mrs. Jack Donaghy wrote:
YSS wrote:
ToriM wrote:In case this isn't a flame- if you're good enough to get into Yale and a WL at Harvard, then you'll get into Harvard next cycle if you can substantially improve something about your overall application (perfect score on the LSAT, cure cancer, etc. etc.). I've also heard that some schools let you do a non-binding deferral, so perhaps you could do this with Yale and reapply next cycle? If Harvard is your dream school and you're this close to your dream, I see no reason to settle.

Just my two cents.


thanks

alot of people here are just a-holes

They don't understand that some people don't care about rankings.


If this isn't a flame, try your hardest to get off the HLS wait list. Outside of the ranking, HLS>YLS, imo.


how do I do that?

do I send them my Yale acceptance and say hey I got into a higher ranked school but still like HLS?

User avatar
TheBigMediocre
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: In at Yale, WL at Harvard What do I do?

Postby TheBigMediocre » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:37 pm

Joan Samuel Marat wrote:
YSS wrote:
ToriM wrote:In case this isn't a flame- if you're good enough to get into Yale and a WL at Harvard, then you'll get into Harvard next cycle if you can substantially improve something about your overall application (perfect score on the LSAT, cure cancer, etc. etc.). I've also heard that some schools let you do a non-binding deferral, so perhaps you could do this with Yale and reapply next cycle? If Harvard is your dream school and you're this close to your dream, I see no reason to settle.

Just my two cents.


thanks

alot of people here are just a-holes

They don't understand that some people don't care about rankings.


Oh, well, look at you. You do no care about the ranking, but you care about prove your friend right that you are "too smart no to be at Harvard." Oh well, aren't you so far above the petulant fray of the ranking whore.


Christ, dude. Take the stick out of your ass. Where is the connection between him not giving a shit about what a $10 rag has to say and him not wanting to fail to meet his friends' expectations? Fuck you.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: In at Yale, WL at Harvard What do I do?

Postby Ragged » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:38 pm

YSS wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:What were your numbers and softs? And why is Harvard your dream school?


3.98 gpa (top public) 178 lsat
- helped start organization that provides clean drinking water to villages in northern kenya
- worked with WHO and aids victims in Lesotho for 2 yrs

People have always told me that I'm too smart not to be at Harvard and I kinda don't want to prove them wrong. Plus I don't really want to be in law all my life. I'm hoping to get into politics or work more in the public sector/government. Harvard seems particularly strong there because of their vast alumni network.


With such credentials I find it really hard to believe that you were not accepted to Harvard so I second the bullshit call.

YSS
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: In at Yale, WL at Harvard What do I do?

Postby YSS » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:39 pm

Joan Samuel Marat wrote:
YSS wrote:
ToriM wrote:In case this isn't a flame- if you're good enough to get into Yale and a WL at Harvard, then you'll get into Harvard next cycle if you can substantially improve something about your overall application (perfect score on the LSAT, cure cancer, etc. etc.). I've also heard that some schools let you do a non-binding deferral, so perhaps you could do this with Yale and reapply next cycle? If Harvard is your dream school and you're this close to your dream, I see no reason to settle.

Just my two cents.


thanks

alot of people here are just a-holes

They don't understand that some people don't care about rankings.


Oh, well, look at you. You do no care about the ranking, but you care about prove your friend right that you are "too smart no to be at Harvard." Oh well, aren't you so far above the pedantic fray of the ranking whore.


I just don't want to let them down. I literally had a friend bragging to everyone that I was already in because I got a 178 on the lsat. Because of that most people think I'm already heading to Harvard. I must admit I also thought after getting into Yale that Harvard was a sure deal and didn't really stop my friends from bragging.

OmbreGracieuse
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:39 pm

Re: In at Yale, WL at Harvard What do I do?

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:41 pm

YSS wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:What were your numbers and softs? And why is Harvard your dream school?


3.98 gpa (top public) 178 lsat
- helped start organization that provides clean drinking water to villages in northern kenya
- worked with WHO and aids victims in Lesotho for 2 yrs

People have always told me that I'm too smart not to be at Harvard and I kinda don't want to prove them wrong. Plus I don't really want to be in law all my life. I'm hoping to get into politics or work more in the public sector/government. Harvard seems particularly strong there because of their vast alumni network.


If I were in your dilemma, I would go to Yale. They are ranked #1 for a reason, and they seem to have really solid programs; in fact they offer joing JD programs-- you might even be interested in one of those.

I don't think you should ever settle for less than best, so by all means try to find a way into Harvard if that is your dream, however I do think all things happen for a reason, and maybe this has a reason too.

YSS
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: In at Yale, WL at Harvard What do I do?

Postby YSS » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:42 pm

Ragged wrote:
YSS wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:What were your numbers and softs? And why is Harvard your dream school?


3.98 gpa (top public) 178 lsat
- helped start organization that provides clean drinking water to villages in northern kenya
- worked with WHO and aids victims in Lesotho for 2 yrs

People have always told me that I'm too smart not to be at Harvard and I kinda don't want to prove them wrong. Plus I don't really want to be in law all my life. I'm hoping to get into politics or work more in the public sector/government. Harvard seems particularly strong there because of their vast alumni network.


With such credentials I find it really hard to believe that you were not accepted to Harvard so I second the bullshit call.


is it possible then that maybe LSAC made a mistake?

I'm also quite shocked I didn't get in. Is there a way I can challenge this?

User avatar
Joan Samuel Marat
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: In at Yale, WL at Harvard What do I do?

Postby Joan Samuel Marat » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:44 pm

YSS wrote:do I send them my Yale acceptance and say hey I got into a higher ranked school but still like HLS?


a person who contemplate such a thing obviously either 1) feel Harvard YP'ed him b/c he is indeed "too smart" not to get in to Harvard or 2) is a uncreative flame

I say he is dumb flame.

If he is no a flame, then the punk need somebody to suplex him, put him in the camel clutch, break his back, and then fuck his ass, make him humble.

lakerfanimal
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:22 am

Re: In at Yale, WL at Harvard What do I do?

Postby lakerfanimal » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:45 pm

YSS wrote:
Joan Samuel Marat wrote:
YSS wrote:
ToriM wrote:In case this isn't a flame- if you're good enough to get into Yale and a WL at Harvard, then you'll get into Harvard next cycle if you can substantially improve something about your overall application (perfect score on the LSAT, cure cancer, etc. etc.). I've also heard that some schools let you do a non-binding deferral, so perhaps you could do this with Yale and reapply next cycle? If Harvard is your dream school and you're this close to your dream, I see no reason to settle.

Just my two cents.


thanks

alot of people here are just a-holes

They don't understand that some people don't care about rankings.


Oh, well, look at you. You do no care about the ranking, but you care about prove your friend right that you are "too smart no to be at Harvard." Oh well, aren't you so far above the pedantic fray of the ranking whore.


I just don't want to let them down. I literally had a friend bragging to everyone that I was already in because I got a 178 on the lsat. Because of that most people think I'm already heading to Harvard. I must admit I also thought after getting into Yale that Harvard was a sure deal and didn't really stop my friends from bragging.


I know someone who went to yale but was WL'd at Harvard initially (and then got in) so I'm not going to discount you as a flame. If you didn't tailor your PS to Harvard then you just messed up. I can't imagine why you'd get rejected there, you seem to have pretty good softs on top of lock numbers if there ever was such a thing for Harvard. If you didn't already talk about how bad you want to go to Harvard in your PS, keep sending them letters and say you'd withdraw from every other school including Yale (but be tactful about this obviously).

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: In at Yale, WL at Harvard What do I do?

Postby Ragged » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:46 pm

YSS wrote:
Ragged wrote:
YSS wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:What were your numbers and softs? And why is Harvard your dream school?


3.98 gpa (top public) 178 lsat
- helped start organization that provides clean drinking water to villages in northern kenya
- worked with WHO and aids victims in Lesotho for 2 yrs

People have always told me that I'm too smart not to be at Harvard and I kinda don't want to prove them wrong. Plus I don't really want to be in law all my life. I'm hoping to get into politics or work more in the public sector/government. Harvard seems particularly strong there because of their vast alumni network.


With such credentials I find it really hard to believe that you were not accepted to Harvard so I second the bullshit call.


is it possible then that maybe LSAC made a mistake?

I'm also quite shocked I didn't get in. Is there a way I can challenge this?



Probably not. Still, you are probably at the very top of the WL so there is still a chance that you'll get in. (if this isn't a flame)

Also, tell your friends that Yale is better than Harvard and to STFU to anyone that says otherwise.

User avatar
Joan Samuel Marat
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: In at Yale, WL at Harvard What do I do?

Postby Joan Samuel Marat » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:48 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:I know someone who went to yale but was WL'd at Harvard initially (and then got in) so I'm not going to discount you as a flame. If you didn't tailor your PS to Harvard then you just messed up. I can't imagine why you'd get rejected there, you seem to have pretty good softs on top of lock numbers if there ever was such a thing for Harvard. If you didn't already talk about how bad you want to go to Harvard in your PS, keep sending them letters and say you'd withdraw from every other school including Yale (but be tactful about this obviously).


This is good advice. If you say the truth, the you should call JR at Harvard and talk to him directly (if they allow). Tell him you accepted in at Yale, but that you like Harvard much better b/c X reasons. If they do no let you talk to JR, then send him letters and tell him you will decline every acceptance, including Yale. Copy your YLS acceptance in the letter. Be bold.

User avatar
neimanmarxist
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:41 am

Re: In at Yale, WL at Harvard What do I do?

Postby neimanmarxist » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:49 pm

YSS wrote:
Ragged wrote:
YSS wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:What were your numbers and softs? And why is Harvard your dream school?


3.98 gpa (top public) 178 lsat
- helped start organization that provides clean drinking water to villages in northern kenya
- worked with WHO and aids victims in Lesotho for 2 yrs

People have always told me that I'm too smart not to be at Harvard and I kinda don't want to prove them wrong. Plus I don't really want to be in law all my life. I'm hoping to get into politics or work more in the public sector/government. Harvard seems particularly strong there because of their vast alumni network.


With such credentials I find it really hard to believe that you were not accepted to Harvard so I second the bullshit call.


is it possible then that maybe LSAC made a mistake?

I'm also quite shocked I didn't get in. Is there a way I can challenge this?


YP is really the only reason that I can think of. I don't think they make mistakes at LSAC (or I've never heard of that occurring) . I think that you should send a LOCI to Harvard saying it is your first choice school and that if you are admitted you will definitely attend. I am sure that you will be first of the waitlist, and they were just assuming that you were going to go to Yale.

If they don't bite (and I don't think that will happen) then maybe you can defer at yale for a year and apply to Harvard again .

But I think you'll get off the WL sooner rather than later & this will be a moot point. Write your LOCI and see what happens.

p.s. did you already have your JR 1 ? Sorry if this has been explained in the thread I didn't read the whole thing.

YSS
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: In at Yale, WL at Harvard What do I do?

Postby YSS » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:50 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:I know someone who went to yale but was WL'd at Harvard initially (and then got in) so I'm not going to discount you as a flame. If you didn't tailor your PS to Harvard then you just messed up. I can't imagine why you'd get rejected there, you seem to have pretty good softs on top of lock numbers if there ever was such a thing for Harvard. If you didn't already talk about how bad you want to go to Harvard in your PS, keep sending them letters and say you'd withdraw from every other school including Yale (but be tactful about this obviously).


I kinda sent the same PS to every school. Didn't really personalize it to the school.

Thanks for the advice I think I'll try that.

YSS
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: In at Yale, WL at Harvard What do I do?

Postby YSS » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:54 pm

thanks to the people who actually gave advise rather than calling me names. I will probably just go to Yale if I don't get off the WL and try to transfer to HLS next year.

User avatar
Joan Samuel Marat
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: In at Yale, WL at Harvard What do I do?

Postby Joan Samuel Marat » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:56 pm

YSS wrote:thanks to the people who actually gave advise rather than calling me names. I will probably just go to Yale if I don't get off the WL and try to transfer to HLS next year.


Please tell me you name so I can forward this filth to Rangappa.

And be a man, tell you pathetic little friend you not good enough for Harvard.

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: In at Yale, WL at Harvard What do I do?

Postby Dr. Review » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:56 pm

YSS wrote:thanks to the people who actually gave advise rather than calling me names. I will probably just go to Yale if I don't get off the WL and try to transfer to HLS next year.


Image
boo hoo

YSS
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: In at Yale, WL at Harvard What do I do?

Postby YSS » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:59 pm

Bedsole wrote:
YSS wrote:thanks to the people who actually gave advise rather than calling me names. I will probably just go to Yale if I don't get off the WL and try to transfer to HLS next year.


Image
boo hoo


real mature

User avatar
Joan Samuel Marat
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: In at Yale, WL at Harvard What do I do?

Postby Joan Samuel Marat » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:00 pm

YSS wrote:real mature


Irony WIN!

lakerfanimal
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:22 am

Re: In at Yale, WL at Harvard What do I do?

Postby lakerfanimal » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:05 pm

YSS wrote:
lakerfanimal wrote:I know someone who went to yale but was WL'd at Harvard initially (and then got in) so I'm not going to discount you as a flame. If you didn't tailor your PS to Harvard then you just messed up. I can't imagine why you'd get rejected there, you seem to have pretty good softs on top of lock numbers if there ever was such a thing for Harvard. If you didn't already talk about how bad you want to go to Harvard in your PS, keep sending them letters and say you'd withdraw from every other school including Yale (but be tactful about this obviously).


I kinda sent the same PS to every school. Didn't really personalize it to the school.

Thanks for the advice I think I'll try that.


I guess if you do defer for a year, make sure you do that. If you know a school is your first choice I think the least you can do is personalize your PS towards that school.

From what you said about wanting to go into politics/government later, obviously this is just confident 0L speculation, but I think you're better off waiting a year and then going because from what I've seen, people really bond a lot in the first year because 1) law school is hard and so you'll make friends to study with and share your pain haha and 2) people are always more friendly when they're new somewhere. You might be the most gregarious person ever and if that is the case then transferring wouldn't hurt you, but I feel like going in as a 1L would be better for you in terms of networking with your classmates who could be future presidents/politicians/etc. Plus you could work for a year to make some money, especially if you're still young.

All that being said I think you should go to Yale and graduate from there because I can't imagine a better law school to be at in terms of actual learning, and it's not like Harvard gives you any more opportunities, unless you plan on trying to get a JD/MBA..

icydash
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:53 pm

Re: In at Yale, WL at Harvard What do I do?

Postby icydash » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:05 pm

this thread...

...really? REALLY?

I'm actually shocked someone had the balls to post this thread.

If you got into Yale (and have a 178), and you're waitlisted at Harvard and upset about your cycle, you don't deserve to live.

YSS
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: In at Yale, WL at Harvard What do I do?

Postby YSS » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:09 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:
YSS wrote:
lakerfanimal wrote:I know someone who went to yale but was WL'd at Harvard initially (and then got in) so I'm not going to discount you as a flame. If you didn't tailor your PS to Harvard then you just messed up. I can't imagine why you'd get rejected there, you seem to have pretty good softs on top of lock numbers if there ever was such a thing for Harvard. If you didn't already talk about how bad you want to go to Harvard in your PS, keep sending them letters and say you'd withdraw from every other school including Yale (but be tactful about this obviously).


I kinda sent the same PS to every school. Didn't really personalize it to the school.

Thanks for the advice I think I'll try that.


I guess if you do defer for a year, make sure you do that. If you know a school is your first choice I think the least you can do is personalize your PS towards that school.

From what you said about wanting to go into politics/government later, obviously this is just confident 0L speculation, but I think you're better off waiting a year and then going because from what I've seen, people really bond a lot in the first year because 1) law school is hard and so you'll make friends to study with and share your pain haha and 2) people are always more friendly when they're new somewhere. You might be the most gregarious person ever and if that is the case then transferring wouldn't hurt you, but I feel like going in as a 1L would be better for you in terms of networking with your classmates who could be future presidents/politicians/etc. Plus you could work for a year to make some money, especially if you're still young.

All that being said I think you should go to Yale and graduate from there because I can't imagine a better law school to be at in terms of actual learning, and it's not like Harvard gives you any more opportunities, unless you plan on trying to get a JD/MBA..


would transferring really be like that

I know a couple of people who transferred into my undergrad and fit in

is it hard to fit into a law school if your not there the first year?

User avatar
Na_Swatch
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: In at Yale, WL at Harvard What do I do?

Postby Na_Swatch » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:10 pm

lol at all the people treating OP as if there was even the slightest possibility of him being real.

this thread was his FIRST POST, ergo:

--ImageRemoved--

lakerfanimal
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:22 am

Re: In at Yale, WL at Harvard What do I do?

Postby lakerfanimal » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:12 pm

YSS wrote:
lakerfanimal wrote:
YSS wrote:
lakerfanimal wrote:

would transferring really be like that

I know a couple of people who transferred into my undergrad and fit in

is it hard to fit into a law school if your not there the first year?


Honestly, I have no idea. I just know in my undergrad transfers are definitely at a disadvantage because of how the housing is done, and law students I've talked to seem like they made their main friends their 1L year.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Justtrying2help, notorious_mig and 4 guests