XXXX

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
superserial

Re: How many people do you think get full rides at T14 schools?

Postby superserial » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:31 pm

jpSartre wrote:How does his profile rub you the wrong way? It's a list of objective numbers. You, and everyone else who is discussing this kid's personal life when he never prompted you to do so are a bunch of miscreants.

Lighten up, it's just the interwebz.

jpSartre

Postby jpSartre » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:51 pm

februaryftw wrote:I guess we both (you and I) can learn something, then?

Your response doesn't follow. His profile is public, and so are his posts. Though I think his self-control is worth imitating.

savagecheater

Postby savagecheater » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:56 pm

Your numbers are auto-admits for most of your apps, regardless of softs.

You must have written something rather off to merit your cycle, or it's in a LOR.

To say that 'this year is just that competitive' is such a weak argument; too many with worse numbers have been casually admitted to the same schools you applied to.

Something is very wrong in your application, whether you'd like to admit it or not.

jpSartre

Postby jpSartre » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:17 pm

He never asked for opinions about his applications.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:20 pm

jpSartre wrote:He never asked for opinions about his applications.

You suck.

jpSartre

Postby jpSartre » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:25 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
jpSartre wrote:He never asked for opinions about his applications.

You suck.

I can see how a voice of sanity and good will can appear "sucky" to the irrational. Somebody lock this thread, clearly the usual standard of generosity has all but disappeared.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:41 pm

I'm torn between replying to people obnoxiously insulting me based on very little information and ignoring them. Then there are also people who are giving their honest opinions that I screwed up my app somehow, but like jpSartre is saying, I didn't ask people for their opinions about how I fucked up my application or how shitty a person I am or how bad my puns are.

There are so many hostile comments and incorrect statements about admissions by people who haven't actually looked into this that I wish I could respond to, but I'll just say this: While there are rough auto-admit thresholds for most schools, if you go too high above them with your numbers there's a good chance you'll get a waitlist. Like I said, I took a risk with my personal statement and wrote about my douchey, pretentious, annoying comedic endeavors, some of which involve going to political events and Argentine shantytowns to take photographs, which is where my avatar comes from, and how I want to use satire to try to improve the human condition. I struck out with Yale, Stanford, and likely Harvard, and got waitlisted or held by most of the T14 and rejected by Michigan, none of which is that surprising or really indicates that my app was horrible. Why would most of these schools accept me if they assumed my numbers were auto-admit for higher ranked schools, like everybody else seems to think? I didn't have the softs to make up for a hit to yield rate or merit a full scholarship, and I didn't indicate any particular interest in these schools.

However, saying my application backfired or was a failure is silly. Northwestern actually liked my application enough to give me a full ride, which means that my cycle was a success overall and the risk I took paid off. As many people here have said, a full ride at a T14 is rarer and arguably better than sticker price at Harvard or Stanford, though not Yale in my opinion. And saying that Northwestern only gave me the scholarship based on numbers is just stupid. I still only boost their GPA median and LSAT 75th just a little bit, and the numbers for people getting the full ride are mostly all good, but still vary a lot, with many people who have the same numbers I have not getting scholarships.

Anyway please just try to go easy on me and stop pretending that you know who I am. It's hard to defend myself against the people saying I fucked up my app and should feel like a failure and the people saying I'm a doucheball with a huge ego at the same time.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:09 pm

Don't feel like you have to defend yourself, and don't take anyone too seriously. This place is largely inconsequencial. Do learn a little from this experience. When most people gets hostile over what you say, even if you feel they are being unfair, something you said is still attracting undesired attentions.

I pm'ed you. I will not say anything else negative, and I encourage others to do the same.

tome

Postby tome » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:50 pm

Wait. What. This guy murders some hookers, and we are all meant to be all careful of his feelings?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”